[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 16 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, October 16, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Changing How We Listen To Music
<http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=a9ef96b6-2c05-4771-9cee-47a32a8202d1>
by Juan Rodriguez, Montreal Gazette
The iPod has revolutionized the way we consume music. Unlimited song storage and the nifty shuffle function has let ordinary listeners become DJs.

*** Apple Computer Store Opens In Christiana Mall
<http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/business/2004/10/16applecomputerst.html>
by Steven Church, Delaware News Journal
"This is a different ball game here," said Karey Pittaro, store manager, "because we're talking about tax-free shopping."

*** I See An iMac And I Want It Painted Black
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/0646655887698521/>
by Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog
Thanks to the folks at ColorWare, you can now order an iMac in virtually any color you want.

*** Helmut Kobler: Marketing The Indie Film "Radius"
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/kobler/>
by Bija Gutoff, Apple
"Final Cut Pro is thorough, well-designed and intuitive. In 15 minutes I can teach someone the skills they need to edit a movie -- and of course you can do so much more when you learn the advanced tools."

*** iPods An Eye-Opener For Industry
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/10/15/BUG9K99OV41.DTL&type=business>
by Benny Evangelista, Matthew Yi, San Francisco Chronicle
"It really shows that the digital music age is here, if there was any doubt about it."

*** Mac OS X Tiger Available March 31, 2005?
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/15/tiger/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>
by Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral
Online retailer Amazon.com has puslibhed a page on their Web site taking orders for Apple's Mac OS X Tiger, saying that Tiger will ship on March 31, 2005.

[Opinion]

*** The iPod In Perspective
<http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2004/10/15/cx_ah_1015tentech.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=>
by Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes
Now the copycats are on the march, and in time they'll have the numbers on their side.

*** Microsoft's Strategy: Be Apple
<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2004/mft04101506.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y>
by Tim Beyers, Motley Fool
You'll pardon my skeptcism if we've heard much of this before. Like maybe from -- oh, I don't know -- Apple.

*** CherryOS: The Latest
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=482060>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
I've been trying for the last three days to get the system up and running on various machines -- to no avail.

*** So Where's That 5GB iPod Mini?
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/7829472160425784/>
by Peter Rojas, Engadget
Since 5GB drives are the same physical size aas the 1-inch 4GB drives Apple's currently using, it's only natural Apple would raise their game and intro a new 5GB iPod minin in time for the big holiday shopping bonanza that awaits us.

[Review]

*** The Game Room: Space Colony, Total Immersion Racing, Big Bang Chess, Tapwave Zodiac, And More
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/10/reviews/octgameroom/index.php>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral

*** Gish
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=526>
by Ian Beck, Inside Mac Games
Overall, Gish is a fabulous game. On the other hand, it is fairly odd and macabre, which may not appeal to some people.

[Sidetrack]

*** Choose A Date. Any Date.
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/16/#20041016bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
The rumor of today: Tiger will ship on March 31<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/15/tiger/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>, 2005, based on the estimated (?) date by Amazon.com.

You know what, this really sound like just a date pulled from the air. First half of the year is what Apple promised, so let's just choose a date in the middle. April 1st sounds so not-real, hence March 31st.

*** Choose An OS. Any OS.
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/16/#20041016bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Fine, Microsoft, so Apple didn't allow you to put your tunes on the iPod.

But for a music store that promises "Play for Sure", why haven't you port the whole Windows Media Player to Mac OS X or Linux? Why can't I use my Creative Zen on my Mac?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Will Google Say Hello To IM?
<http://news.com.com/Will+Google+say+Hello+to+IM%3F/2100-1032_3-5412359.html?part=rss&tag=5412359&subj=news.1032.20>
by Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com
Google watchers abuzz about the search darling's new desktop tool are already betting on its next product: instant chat.

*** Privacy Eroding, Bit By Byte
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34098-2004Oct14.html>
by Robert O'Harrow Jr., Washington Post

*** Instant Messaging Could Land Bosses In Jail
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39170374,00.htm>
by Dan Ilett, ZDNet UK
UK firms could be braking compliance laws by using instant messaging, and banning the applications may not be successful.

*** Our Kids Are In Big Trouble
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/view.html?pg=5?tw=wn_tophead_7>
by Lawrence Lessig, Wired News
Government is using technology to buden their future -- and it's all our fault.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Ten
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2108280/fr/rss/>
by Rod Smolla, Slate
Why the commandments make for such messy law.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Grave Error? Singapore Erases History For Future
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/887288.cms>
by Indrani Bagchi, Times Of India
In a move that combines humaneness and sensitivity to the departed, Singapore is preparing to exhume some 23,000 Hindu and Sinhala graves in old cemeteries to redevelop the land for a housing colony.

*** Lack Of Challenge PAP's Doing, Counters WP Chief
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,278308,00.html?>
by Straits Times

*** Eight Ill With Cholera; Bedok Stalls Suspected
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,278334,00.html?>
by Straits Times
Eight people have come down with cholera -- possibly after eating at food stalls in Bedok.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.