[MyAppleMenu] Oct 10, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 10 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, October 10, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Ellison To Microsoft: You're No IBM
<http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=6356_0_1_0_C>
by Always On Network
Oracle's CEO talks about why IBM used to be the great innovator, and why no other company has been able to fill those shoes, with the possible exception of... Apple Computer?

*** Low Budget, But Not Low-Effort
<http://www.fosters.com/October_2004/10.10.04/news/art_1010d.asp>
by Shawn Macomber, Foster's Sunday Citizen
"During this psending spree he bought an Apple iBook and a digital camera, and -- poof! -- we had ourselves a mini film studio."

[Review]

*** Virtual PC 7 Links Best Of Both Worlds
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/chi-0410100312oct10,1,1305840.column?coll=la-utilities-technology>
by James Coates, Chicago Tribune
Let me tell you that Virtual PC 7 worked great, letting me plug Windows-compatible devices like a digital camera, scanner and printer into Mac ports and then operate them in Windows XP Professional.

*** Cinema Display Evokes A Surge Of Tech Lust
<http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/technology/orl-livcobbs09100904oct09,0,3480524.column?coll=orl-technology-headlines>
by Chris Cobbs, Orlando Sentinel
The Cinema Display is a luxury accessory that inspires tech lust of the highest magnitude. It seems sinful to want one, but impossible not to after using it.

*** User-Friendly iMac G5 Keeps It Simple
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002058192_ptmacc09.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
The iMac G5 makes a few important leaps for Apple's consumer line of computers. Adding the G5 processor is a significant boost but doing so in a simple, functional and space-saving design seals the deal.

[Sidetrack]

*** Eat Bugs, Win iPod
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/10/#20041010bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Winner: Manhattanite Shai Pariente<http://www.nynews.com/newsroom/101004/b0110bugchef.html>, ate 13 cockroaches -- without ketchup, mind you -- to win an iPod. "Crunchy and salty."

I wonder what you'd have to eat to win a PowerBook.

*** You Can Predict The Result Of The Election By Watching ESPN
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/10/#20041010bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
The outcome of Washington Redskins football games has correctly predicted<http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp> the winner of every U.S. presidential election since 1936.

Hence, someone better be watching the Redskins vs. Green Bay this coming Oct 31.

*** Rumor Today: No Settlements For The Apple Vs Apple Case
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/10/#20041010bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Johnny Evans<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9852>, Macworld UK, quotes an unnamed source: "This case is likely to go to court."

[Wintel]

*** MSN Music Falls Just Short Of iTunes' High Marks
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19285-2004Oct9.html>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
If you're not going to shop at iTunes, you'd do well to direct your online-music budget toward MSN. But for this store to start winning market share from iTunes, Microsoft has more work to do.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Truth Stranger Than 'Strangelove'
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/10/movies/10kapl.html?ex=1255147200&en=bf83a97a9e24885b&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland>
by Fred Kaplan, New York Times
"Strangelove" is far more than a satire. In its own loopy way, the movie is a remarkably fact-based and specific guide to some of the oddest, most secretive chapters of the Cold War.

[Tech & Science]

*** Going To The Moon, Sponsored By M&M's
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/10/weekinreview/10schw.html?oref=login&ex=1255147200&>
by John Schwartz, New York Times
Space sponsorship is, seemingly, everywhere.

*** The Genome In Black And White (And Gray)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/10/magazine/10GENETIC.html>
by Robin Marantz Henig, New York Times
Research scientists are increasingly studying the genetic basis of race. It could lead to better medicine, or to new kinds of stereotypes.

[Life]

*** Eat, Memory
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/10/magazine/10FOOD.html>
by Chang-Rae Lee, New York Times
At the lowest point of my life, I was cooking all the time. Normally, I cook most when I'm feeling contended, say, when the writing is going decnetly well and the family is happy. But during the fall of 1990, I was cooking and miserable.

*** Saved, And Enslaved, By The Cell
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/10/weekinreview/10bels.html?oref=login&ex=1255060800&>
by Ken Belson, New York Times
Is the sense of security engendered by a cellphone as much illusion as reality?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Security In Schools Currently Under Review By Government: DPM Tony Tan
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/111066/1/.html>
by Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia
This is to prevent any incidents such as the recent Beslan school tragedy in Russia.

*** Fare Wars: Asia Flights For Pennies
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/travel/9883700.htm>
by Jane Engle, Los Angeles Times
The festival of falling prices is courtesy of a burgeoning fleet of no-frills carriers in Aisa, the latest frontier of flying on the cheap.

*** Solving The Orchard Road Jam
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,277207,00.html?>
by Tracy Quek, Straits Times
Altering direction of traffic flow and extending ERP hours are among some of the suggestions.

*** Be More Transparent With Reserves: WP
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,276952,00.html?>
by Straits Times
Saying good corporate governance begins with transparency, WP's statement called on the government to be more transparent with its investment of reserves.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.