[MyAppleMenu] Nov 30, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 30 13:15:01 EST 2004

*** FPT Becomes Official Distributor Of Apple Computers
<http://www.vnagency.com.vn/NewsA.asp?LANGUAGE_ID=2&CATEGORY_ID=32&NEWS_ID=129128>
VNA

Viet Nam's leading computer producer and distributor, the Corporation for Financing and Promoting Technology, has become the first official distributor of the US computer group Apple in Viet Nam.

*** Tech Takes Bugs Out Of Apples
<http://starbulletin.com/2004/11/29/business/story1.html>
Mark Coleman, Honolulu Star-Bulletin

*** Students Warm To Free iPod Offer
<http://www.nyunews.com/features/campuslife/8427.html>
Natasha Slepoy, Washington Square News

*** Apple Gains On iPod Enthusiasm
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/30bf49ea-4264-11d9-8e3c-00000e2511c8,dwp_uuid=3ad4cbfc-4761-11d8-81c6-0820abe49a01.html>
Scott Morrison, Financial Times

Shares in Apple Computer gained 6 percent on Monday after two key analysts raised their target prices for the company's stock amid continued strong demand for the group's popular iPod digital music player.

*** Apple iPod: Faster Than A Speed Walkman
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000923021907/>
Barb Dybwad, Unofficial Apple Weblog

After 2.5 years on the market, sales of the iPod are about 1 million units ahead of Walkman sales after the equivalent period of time.

*** Black Friday Delivers For Apple
<http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0411blackfriday2.html>
Ryan Katz, Think Secret

Several stores report moving at least four times the average Friday volume on the day after Thanksgiving.

*** Apple To Rule Family Room With Entertainment Server?
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/11/29/entertainmentserver/>
MacMinute

*** Ambrosia's Apeiron Game Goes OS X
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/11/29/apeironx/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1104>
Peter Cohen, MacCentral

[Review]

*** iMac's G5 Top Choice Of Year
<http://washingtontimes.com/technology/20041129-095029-5359r.htm>
Mark Kellner, Washington Times

This is a computer that will deliver several years of good use and thus is a good value for the money.

*** iPod Will Be Music To Her Ears
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2924527>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

*** Lost iTunes Library, Found iPod
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2004/11/iipod2itunes/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

The issue is what one should do when an iTunes music library has been vaporized due to a hard drive crash and a copy of that library exists on an iPod.

*** iPod Photo: Color Does Make A Difference
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2004/11/ipodphoto/index.php>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

I don't know if there is something Apple can do with the photo thumbnails to make them a bit bigger, but nothing else realy stood out on the negative side for me. On the positive side, there is a lot to like about the iPod photo.

*** The Complete U2: The World's First Digital Box Set
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2004/11/u2complete/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1104>
Dan Frakes, Playlist

$149 buys a lot of U2. How much do you need?

[Sidetrack]

*** Talk To Me And My iPod
Heng-Cheong Leong

"Dear boss, I need a voice recording device <http://www.genecowan.com/blog/index.php/weblog/podding_4_you/>, and I hear that there is this great new white little thing that I can use to do voice recoding..."

("And I can listen to some great podcasts on the way to the interview too.")

Yes, you guessed it. At least one reporter out there is using the iPod as a microphone.

*** Spread The Message
Heng-Cheong Leong

As software professionalists, we need to advice this more often: "What can I use to prevent spyware? The short answer is: Use a Macintosh <http://www.registerguard.com/news/2004/11/29/a1.uospyware.1129.html>."

*** Gentlement, Start Your Mouse
Heng-Cheong Leong

Your mouse ball (if you still have one), your mouse button, and your wrist are all doomed, I tell 'ya. Cause Apeiron X <http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/apeironx/> is here.

No plots. No too-dark-to-see-anything corridors. No do-not-even-know-where-to-begin puzzles. Just pure plain shootin' and killin' arcade fun.

[Top Stories]

*** Urban Renewal, The Wireless Way
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/11/29/digital_metropolis/index_np.html>
Linda Baker, Salon

Thanks to Wi-Fi networks, cellpones and global positioning locators, there's a new sense of place in the city.

[News]

*** Desktop Google Finds Holes
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1730748,00.asp>
Bruce Schneier, eWeek

Google's desktop search software is so good that it exposes vulnerabilities on your computer that you didn't know about.

*** Coast To Coast, Different Views From The Top
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19567-2004Nov29.html?nav=rss_technology>
Robert MacMillan, Washington Post

Technology's financial future looks pretty bright from the top floors of the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle in New York City, significantly more so than from the Intel executive suite in Santa Clara.

*** On-Demand Apps Demand A Richer Browser
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/26/48FEhostedgui_1.html>
Jon Udell, InfoWorld

For Web applications to be wholly successful, we need new thin client technology.

*** US Denied Visas For Chinese WLAN Standard Group
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/29/HNchinavisas_1.html>
Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service

U.S. officials earlier this month denied visas to four representatives of a group developing China's WAPI (Wireless LAN Authenticationa nd Privacy Infrastructure) security protocol for wireless networks, raising questions in China about the U.S. government's commitment to greater Chinese involvement in setting technical standards.

*** Open-Source Geeks Are Modern Heroes, Says Think Tank
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39175467,00.htm>
Graeme Wearden, ZDNet UK

Coders who give up their spare time to contribute to open source projects are the virtual equivalent of lifeboat men, according to latest  research from Demos.

[Tech & Science]

*** Repeat Caesareans Becoming Harder To Avoid
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/29/health/29birth.html?oref=login&8hpib>
Denise Grady, New York Times

Women around the country are finding that more and more hospitals that once allowed vaginal birth after Caesarean are now banning it and insisting on repeat Caesareans.

[Life]

*** Happy Divorce
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6594607/site/newsweek/>
Julie Scelfo, Newsweek

Are the days of the nasty split over? For the sake of the kids, some exes spend holidays together and bring along their new partners. Pass the tolerance, please.

*** A Traffic Reporter With No Traffic
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/29/nyregion/29traffic.html?8hpib>
Andrew Jacobs, New York Times

In a perfect world, Mr. Daniels would have his own drive-time radio program, playing pop music between livel banter with guests and callers. But in the rapdidly consolidating realm of American radio, there are fewer opportunities for on-air personalities, especially for disc jockeys with unmistakably Scottish accents.

*** Singapore And S. Korea In Trade Pact
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/11/29/business/sing.html>
Associated Press

Seven rounds of negotiations on the agreement this year went smoothly because Singapore has no agricultural sector, which is a common stumbling block in trade talks.