[MyAppleMenu] Nov 24, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 24 13:15:00 EST 2004

[Top Stories]

*** Apple iPod Holds Sway In Japan
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/11/24/bloomberg/sxipod.html>
Desmond Hutton, Bloomberg

In Japan, home to four of hte world's top-five consumer electronics companies by sales, advance orders made Apple's iPod mini the top-selling portable player three weeks before its July 24 release. It still is.

[News]

*** Give Your iPod Fifteen Minutes Of Clubbing Fame
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=4328>
Simon Easterman, PC Advisor

North London digital music lovers have a new forum where they can share their musical taste in a democratic clubbing experience -- Playlist Club.

*** Watson Now Available For Free
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/11/24/watson/>
MacMinute

It should be noted that some of Watson's tools are no longer functional, and developer Dan Wood said he cannot update the program because of the deal with Sun.

*** Apple Launches New Student Site With Blog
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/11/23/student/>
MacMinute

*** Bluetooth Update Improves Performance, Reliability
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/11/23/bluetooth/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1104>
Peter Cohen, MacCentral

[Review]

*** Mo' Better Podcast Listening!
<http://radio.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2004/11/23/190273.html>
Tod Maffin, I Love Radio.org

While there's no way to delete content directly on your iPod, I think I've come up with a way that might be even better!

*** Modifying Stickies
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/11/23/stickies_1.html>
Erica Sadun, O'Reilly Network

In this article, you're about to learn how to update your Stickies applications to give it abilities that its authors probably never considered.

*** A Company With Simple And Elegant Products
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/24/technology/circuits/24pogues-posts.html?oref=login&ex=1259038800&>
David Pogue, New York Times

For as long as I've been writing for the Times, one company has consistently created clever, well-priced products -- and I've never reviewed them. It's SanDisk, the memory-card maker. The trouble is that its products are so simple in concept, none of them really merits the full 1300-word "State of the Art" column treatment.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Of The Day: Apple May Go Galactic
Heng-Cheong Leong

News.com <http://news.com.com/Apple+may+go+galactic/2061-1040_3-5465155.html?part=rss&tag=5465155&subj=news.1040.20> summarizes today's rumor: Apple's Asteroid, which allows musicians easily plug their analog gear into a Mac.

*** A Kinder, Gentler Copyright Bill?
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,65796,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_8>
Katie Dean, Wired News

The Senate passed a scaled-back version of a controversial copyright bill Saturday, keeping a provision that imposes severe penalties on people caught with camcoders in movie theaters but scrappingother provisions that copyright-reform activists had criticized.

*** Newspapers Should Really Worry
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,65813,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Adam L. Peneberg, Wired News

It's no secret that the internet threatens the newspaper business. But there's increasing evidence that young people are dumping print in favor of screens at a faster clip than anyone suspected.

*** Back From The Dead
<http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8210-1371359,00.html>
Mike Verdin, The Times

THought you had heard the last of the technology bubble? Think again.

[Linux]

*** Linux Ready For Prime Time, Intel Says
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9694-2004Nov24.html>
Cynthia L. Webb, Washington Post

No one is predicting an edn to Redmond's desktop dominance any time soon. But there are signs on the horizon that open-source systems could eventually claim a big chunk of the PC market.

[World]

*** The Silencing Of Theo Van Gogh
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/11/24/vangogh/index_np.html>
Ronald Rovers, Salon

The Dutch filmmaker believed that insulting people was his right as a free citizen. The Muslim fanatic who slaughtered him didn't agree.

[Expressions]

*** Ta Ta Cha Cha
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2110058/fr/rss/>
Rita Dove, Slate

[Top Stories]

*** Singapore Reviewing Smoking Ban To Include More Areas
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/118848/1/.html>
S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

It's about time. Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim told Parliament that the National Environment Agency is currently studying whether bus stops, coffee shops and hawkers centres should be covered by the ban. (I thought bus stops are already covered?)