[MyAppleMenu] Nov 14, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 14 13:15:00 EST 2004

[Top Stories]

*** Gates Vs. Jobs: The Rematch
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/business/yourmoney/14music.html?ex=1101013200&en=a24f4781b7027db9&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1>
Saul Hansell, New York Times

In many ways, the story sounds eerily familiar.

[News]

*** London's Apple Blossoms
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1350952,00.html>
David Smith, The Observer

Shoppers crave it for Christmas with a near religious fervour, but now those who revere Apple's iPod music player will be able to worship their icon at a high-street temple. Europe's first flagship Apple Store is about to open in Britain.

*** Mac Fans Attack Schools' PC Plan
<http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041113/NEWS/411130402>
Laura Green, Herald Tribune

As school districts across the country have become more and more PC-driven, Mac lovers have held on with a vengeance.

[Review]

*** Apple's Latest Development iPod Photo Seems Unfocused
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/ny-txwilliams4040433nov14,1,1677625.column?coll=la-utilities-technology>
Stephen Williams, Newsday

Ultimately, the iPod will successfully transcend its original mission, of a jewel-like, musical companion, to something beyond audio. It hasn't yet.

*** Apple iPod Photo 60GB
<http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/apple-photo-ipod-60gb-model-review.html>
Jody Farr, The Gadgeteer

[Sidetrack]

*** Real Ghost Sighting?
Heng-Cheong Leong

A real ghost sighting, or another urban legend? You decide whether the whispering or the white mist that are being captured in this commercial <http://www.westcoastpirate.com/weblog/archives/2004/11/real_ghost_sigh.html> are real or fake.

:-)

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Takes Lead In Software For Handhelds
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46682-2004Nov12.html>
Mike Musgrove, Washington Post

For the past three months, gadgets running the software giant's Windows Mobile operating system outsold Palm handhelds, finally overtaking a rival that first popularized the electronic datebook organizers in the mid-1990s.

*** What Is A Foreign Movie Now?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/movies/14WORLD.html>
A. O. Scott, New York Times

>From Belgium to Taiwan, directors are capturing the drift, loneliness and moody perplexities of our time and fashioning a vibrant, new world cinema.

*** Why Isn't Maggie Cheung A Hollywood Star
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/movies/14CHEUNG.html?oref=login>
Susan Dominus, New York Times

It's somewhat mystifying that one of Asia's finest actresses is virtually unknown to Hollywood audiences, as if celebrity were the one export too fragile to make the 7,000-mile trip across the Pacific.

*** Let Them Eat Cake
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,1342296,00.html>
Mimi Spencer, The Guardian

They don't diet and they don't spend hours panting round the gym. So how can French women put away as much ice-cream, rich pastries and steak frites as they want and yet stay so slim?

*** Singapore Will Not Promote Condom Use Publicly To Fight AIDS: Report
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1508&ncid=751&e=7&u=/afp/20041114/hl_afp/health_aids_singapore>
AFP

Despite facing an "alarming AIDS epidemic," Singapore will not go on a publicity bitz to promote condom use out of respect for residents who hold conservative views on sexual behavioiur, a minister said.