[MyAppleMenu] Nov 12, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 12 13:15:01 EST 2004

[Top Stories]

*** The True Story Of Audion
<http://panic.com/extras/audionstory/>
Cabel Sasser, Panic

In short, we didn't want Audion, flashy crazy Audion, to go with a whimper. We felt it was time to celebrate this one application -- this one tiny tale in a world of millions -- that's done so much for us, and whose customers and fans have helped us become what we are today, to whom we owe so much.

[Opinion]

*** Comments Field: Useful Or Useless?
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/5575825481535672/>
Barb Dybwad, Unofficial Apple Weblog

What should really happen is that the Comments field should be way more accessible.

*** Two Things I Wish Every Mac OS X User Knew
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=2977>
Brent Simmons, Inessential.com

We get enough support requests to have some idea of the things people often don't know about Mac OS X.

*** Additional Poofery
<http://daringfireball.net/2004/11/additional_poofery>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

I offer the following addendum to last week's bit on poof consistency.

[Review]

*** Griffin RadioSHARK
<http://www.aaronadams.net/article.php?story=20041111142356670>
Aaron Adams, aaronadams.net

It was worth the wait.

*** Shrek 2
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=517>
Michael Miller, Inside Mac Games

The pity is that with a touch more thought the game could have been tweaked to be a shining example of what a platformer should be about. Instead, it's a competent example of the genre.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Registers Trademark -- 19 Years Late
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+registers+trademark--19+years+late/2100-1012_3-5449348.html?part=rss&tag=5449348&subj=news.1012.20>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Microsoft introduced its Excel spreadsheet program in 1985, but didn't get around to officially registering its trademark until earlier this year.

*** The $100 PC: How Do We Get There?
<http://news.com.com/The+%24100+PC%3A+How+do+we+get+there%3F/2010-1016_3-5448784.html?part=rss&tag=5448784&subj=news.1016.20>
Mike Ricciuti, CNET News.com

If the goal truly is to give low-income people in developing countries access to computers, there are cheaper and easier ways to go than Microsoft's model.

*** Using A New Language In Africa To Save Dying Ones
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/12/international/africa/12africa.html?oref=login&ex=1257915600&>
Marc Lacey, New York Times

Across the continent, linguists are working with experts in information technology to make computers more accessible to Africans who happen not to know English, French or the other major languages that have been programmed into the world's desktops.

*** Promiscuity, Not Sexual Orientation, The Real Problem
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/29313.asp>
Ho Keng Soon, Today

Making sweeping generalisations do not solve anything, but only exacerbates misunderstanding of the problem and generates unnecessary discrimination.

[Technology]

*** High Speed Internet May Cost Less
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,284516,00.html?>
Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times

Prices may fall by up to 30% if M1 and PacNet's wireless broadband trial succeeds.