[MyAppleMenu] Nov 6, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 6 13:15:01 EST 2004

*** Apple Updates DVD Studio Pro
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/11/05/dvdstudiopro/>
MacMinute

*** Mac OS X 10.3.6 Released
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/11/05/macosx/>
MacMinute

The update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability.

*** Macworld Boston Switches Venues
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/11/05/macworldboston/>
MacMinute

Boston Macworld will move to Hynes Convention Center for 2005, as the center "is a more appropriate location and will provide an excellent customer experience for this particular event based primarily on venue size."

[Review]

*** Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons Of WWII
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=536>
Eric Ford, Inside Mac Games

Gamers looking for something a little more new or inventive in terms of game play will find this expansion lacking.

[Sidetrack]

*** My Mac Life Is Back
Heng-Cheong Leong

Even though I didn't really miss listening to Your Mac Life <http://www.yourmaclife.com/> due to my QuickTime Player not cooperating with me, nevertheless I am still happy I am able to solve the mystery and have my player start to download and play the archives.

Turns out QuickTime Player is really brain-dead. For some reason, QuickTime Player decided, one fine day, to use "UDP" as the transport portocol, which didn't work at all. (In Mac OS X, you can find this setting at System Preferences : Connection : Transport Setup.) So, I switched it to "Automatically determine the best protocol and port ID, trusting QuickTime Player to try all combinations and give me a setting that simply "just work."

Did I mention QuickTime Player is really brain-dead? Turns out that the player is not smart enough to determine the best protocol and port ID. In fact, I don't think it even tried.

The correct way to listen to Your Mac Life and other QuickTime-streamed content is -- if the earlier options still don't work for you -- to use "HTTP" and Port ID 80. Set it manually yourself, and it will finally work.

So, now I finally am able to listen to Shawn King and the rest of his gang. And my hatred for QuickTime Player has just increased another notch.

P.S. And special thanks to Shawn King for prompting me via email to get up on my lazy ass and do something about QuickTime Player.