[MyAppleMenu] Nov 2, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 2 13:15:01 EST 2004

*** Mac OS X -- 'World's Safest'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10035>
Macworld UK

A 12-month study by a leading digital security company concludes that Mac OS X and Open Source BSD OS's are the world's safest computing environments.

*** iTunes Gooing Places, But No Music For Our Ears
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,11231969%5E15309%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
David Frith, The Australian

*** Waiting For The 'Halo Effect'
<http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=a0c25d31-f324-40e4-8860-c6d8f67ac5ef>
Robert Thompson, Financial Post

Though the jury is still out, there is some evidence the iPod's success may boost Apple computer sales.

*** iPod Download Giveth, Apple Taketh Away. But Not For Long!
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/8784670602491103/>
Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

It appears the code used to disable this specific utility can be overcome by simply forgetting how to spell.

*** There's No Worm In Your Apple -- Honest
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/mac/0,39020393,39172277,00.htm>
Dan Ilett, ZDNet UK

After a week of contemplation, Apple has annnounced that the 'Opener' malware program blighting OS X is not a virus -- although the security community disagrees.

*** Strange Mail.app Bug Caused Full Processor Usage In The Last Hour Of October
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041101074251428>
MacFixIt

Apparently, Mail.app became a bit confused with the change back to standard time, and began ramping up processor usage in the last hour of October.

*** With iPod Success, Apple Takes "Network Effect" From Microsoft
<http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/44376/44376.html>
Paul Thurrott, Windows IT Pro

Apple has finally beaten Microsoft at its own game. The iPod, not Microsoft's extensive platform and ecosystem, is defining the market for portable digital media. And for a company that has long struggled in the shadow of its massive competitor to the north, that's good news indeed.

[Opinion]

*** Examining The Consistency Of Your Poofs
<http://daringfireball.net/2004/11/poof_consistency>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

It's a cute effect, made for demoning how cool Mac OS X looks -- but it's shitty user-interface design, and Apple has implemented it inconsistently.

*** Top Down Vs. Bottom Up Technology
<http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/archives/026947.html>
Dana Blankenhorn, Moore's Loore

We need Apple and Microsoft. We also need Linux and the Internet. To grow the technology sector we need a balance, and unity.

*** Word To The Whiners
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/11/whiners/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

iPod Download was written as an iTunes plug-in. Apple controls the SDK for these plug-ins and has some say abou what they can and cannot be used for. Anyone writing such a plug-in would be well served to carefully scrutinize the SDK's licensing agreement.

*** More 'iPhoto On Windows' Thoughts
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/more_iphoto_on_windows_thoughts/>
Dennis Sellers, Macsimum

*** Apple Should Get Into Games
<http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1172&mode=thread&order=1&thold=-1>
eobanb, Apple-X.net

Apple has shown that they can come out of nowhere, and simply dominate a market. So why not games?

[Review]

*** The Inside Wire: Keeping A Journal
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/1044/>
Jeff Graber, Macsimum

Beginning with Mac OS X 10.2, Apple added a useful technology called Journaling.

*** Solution For Noisy iPods
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/11/noisyipod/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

In nearly every case, the iPod exhibited the problem only when used with third-party headphones.

*** Homeworld 2
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=524>
Michael Yanovich, Inside Mac Games

The game is a blast just to play and the visuals just make it that much better.

[Wintel]

*** Internet Explorer Takes Another Market-Share Hit
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1706694,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Matt Hicks, eWeek

Challenges to Microsoft's Web browser dominance are mounting as Internet Explorer loses more market share to open-source rival Mozilla.

*** Data Centers Get A Makeover
<http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/datacenter/story/0,10801,97021,00.html?SKC=home97021>
Gary H . Anthes, Computerworld

Changing technology trends and strategic objectives have IT organizations rethinking basic data center designs.

[Expressions]

*** Breakup Stories
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?041108fi_fiction>
Jonathan Franzen, New Yorker