[MyAppleMenu] May 25, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 25 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, May 25, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Acting Out A Dream
<http://www.newsreview.info/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040524/NEWS/105240041>
by Erin Snelgrove, The News-Review
A few years ago, students used simple video recorders to make their movies. Now they have access to more sophisticated technology including green screens, sound recording music and various computer programs -- including Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Final Cut Express and iLife.

*** Skype For Mac OS X Announced By Developer
<http://www.macnn.com/news/24820>
by MacNN
Skyper Limited has announced the Mac version of Skype, its free and simple application that enables you to make free calls anywhere in the world.

*** Apple's Enterprise IT Battle Plan, Part Two
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/33937.html>
by Elizabeth Millard, MacNewsWorld
Can Apple gain a foothold in the volatile enterprise market with software as well as hardware?

*** Royal Wedding In Glorious QTVR
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=321199>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
"This is -- as far as I know -- the first time a large event like this is covered as 360-degree panoramas and also displayed as full screen QTVR."

*** Apple Up For Double D&AD Prize
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=8739>
by Macworld UK
Known as the Oscars of the creative industry, the 42nd Design and Art Direction awards include 137 nominees selected from among almost 14,000 entries.

*** FileMaker Ships FileMaker Server 7
<http://www.macnn.com/news/24809>
by MacNN

*** Apple Fig-Leaf Security Patch Causes Dismay
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/05/24/HNappledismay_1.html>
by Matthew Broersma, InfoWorld
Security experts say fix leaves Mac users vulnerable.

[Opinion]

*** Be Prepared
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/24/1085359552722.html>
by Charles Wright, The Age
We'd rate iCal as one of the reasons why Macs make a lot of sense.

[Review]

*** An Ounce Of Prevention
<http://daringfireball.net/2004/05/ounce_of_prevention>
by John Gruber
This page is intended to serve as a consolidated, comprehensive, and to-the-point list of instructions for closing all known URI-related vulnerabilities affecting Mac OS X.

*** PowerBook G4s: The Whole Line Sports Faster CPUs; AirPort Extreme Now Standard
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/05/reviews/g4powerbooks/?lsrc=mcrss-0504>
by Henry Norr, Macworld
Among the new PowerBook models, the performance differences are now insignificant, and relatively few users, we think, have a real need for the advanced features the 12-inch model lacks.

*** Vaja iVod Mini
<http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=3986_0_6_0_M>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iPodlounge
Vaja's variety of color choices is truly impressive, and leather case buyers will likely find the iVod mini to be acceptably priced given the scarcity of comparably beautiful options.

*** iBook Is A Lean, Clean Machine
<http://gcn.com/23_12/prod_reviews/25985-1.html>
by Thomas R. Temin, Government Computer News
All in all, the iBook confirmed my personal choice to switch from Windows to Mac OS.

[Sidetrack]

*** You Know It's Coming...
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/05/25/#20040525bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
... so don't act surprised. Presenting: Pear PC running in Virtual PC<http://forum.macnews.de/forum/show?mid=25425.1512.-6558&s=anZO4itHmp>.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Creating Windows For Supercomputers
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+creating+Windows+for+supercomputers/2100-7337_3-5219282.html>
by Stephen Shankland  and Ina Fried, CNET News.com
Microsoft has launched an effort to produce a version of Windows for high-performance computing, a move seen as a direct attack on a Linux stronghold.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Top Stories]

*** R.I.P.: The Counterculture Aura Of Linux
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/25/technology/25linux.html>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
Linux, the free operating system once seen as a symbol of a computing counterculture, is becoming a mainstream technology and is being forced to behave more like one.

[News]

*** Personalized Magazine Shocks, Delights Readers
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0405240016may24,1,2713187.story?coll=chi-techtopheds-hed>
by Gina Piccalo, Chicago Tribune
What if you opened your mailbox to find a national magazine with your name on the cover and the headline "They Know Where You Live!" -- under an aerial photo of your house?

*** Hard Drives A-Plenty
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/05/24/cx_ah_0524tentech.html>
by Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes
Apple, with its iPod and iPod Mini, along with their many imitators, have proved that with a small hard drive designed into a clever product you can make big changes in the consumer electronics industry.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** Sail Away
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040531fa_fact>
by Simon Schama, New Yorker
Six days to New York on the Queen Mary 2.

[Expressions]

*** The Secret Goldfish
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?040531fi_fiction>
by David Means, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Five Schools For Gifted To Stop Programme
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/19741.asp>
by Ng Shing Yi, Today
While the centralised MOE-directed gifted stream is slowly being phased out in the top secondary schools, all nine primary schools centres will continue to run the gifted programme.

*** Many Heartland Retailers Not Keen On Great Singapore Sale
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/86626/1/.html>
by Derek CHer, Channel NewsAsia
Many feel they won't benefit from the annual sale.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.