[MyAppleMenu] May 13, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 13 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, May 13, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** 'Trojan Is Not A Virus' -- Apple
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8667>
by Karen Haslam, Macworld UK
Apple suggested that the Trojan is not a significant threat as it does not propagate itself.

*** Mac Under Fake Word 2004 Attack
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8664>
by Karen Haslam, Macworld UK
The file is cunningly disguised as a Word 2004 for Mac demo.

[News]

*** E3: Apple Gets Its Game On, Myst IV Revealed
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/05/12/applegames/?lsrc=mcrss-0504>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral

*** IT 'Marks Education Watershed'
<http://www2.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8662>
by Macworld UK
New mass-market entertainment offerings and innovative computer applications, such as Apple's iMovie continue to change the way kids are taught, and also the way today's children are.

*** Apple's iTunes Wins Two Webby Awards
<http://www.macnn.com/news/24676>
by MacNN
Apple's iTunes won in the "Commerce" and "Music" categories, but lost in the "Services" category to Google.

*** Doing It With Styles
<http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2004/05/12/130795.aspx>
by Rick Schaut
A more thorough description of how styles in Microsoft Word work.

*** Mono Adds OS X Package
<http://osdir.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=692>
by O'Reilly Network

*** Wireless FireWire Devices Coming
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/05/12/wirelessfirewire>
by MacMinute
The 1394 Trade Association this week approved a new specification that enables companies to evelop wireless FireWire products.

*** The Claws Of The Jungle
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/12/1084289739986.html>
by Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald
OS X is stil with the big cats, and soon we will have a Tiger pouring power into our Macs.

*** Ear Foam Covers Foment iMystery
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/reviews/chi-040512eworld,1,4668211.story?coll=chi-technology-utl>
by Eric Benderoff, Chicago Tribune
Why do those foam covers that protect the ear buds on headphones always fall off? More puzzling, where do they go?

[Opinion]

*** Indie iMixes
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4865>
by Michael Brewer, O'Reilly Network
Apple has provided an excellent way to facilitate finding of good independent music.

*** Mac Fan, Yech
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/missingmanuals/2004/macfan_0504.html>
by David Pogue, O'Reilly Network
"I cannot stand it when you call Mac users 'Mac fans.' This is such a stupid term."

*** How Apple Is Killing The Mac Myths One By One
<http://billpalmer.net/com000210.html>
by Bill Palmer

*** The Reasons I Prefer To Teach On A Mac
<http://www.billpalmer.net/macusingeducators/mue000013.html>
by John Nichols, Mac Using Educators

[Sidetrack]

*** Cute Bento
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/05/13/#20040513bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Do you want your lunch<http://www-personal.umich.edu/~msittig/bento/> to stare back at you?

*** Invasion Of The American Spelling
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/05/13/#20040513bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Oh gosh, I just realised that I have no idea which is of the spelling of "center/centre" is American, and which is British.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Lays Out Server Road Map
<http://news.com.com/2100-7343_3-5211424.html>
by Mike Ricciuti and Ina Fried, CNET News.com
Microsoft on Wednesday laid out its server road map, outlining a series of releases including Longhorn Server, the next major OS edition, targeted to arrive in 2007.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Google Mail: Virtue Lies In The In-Box
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/13/technology/circuits/13stat.html>
by David Pogue, New York Times
Even in its current, early state, available only to a few thousand testers, Gmail appears destined to become one of the most useful Internet services since Google itself.

*** Fuel Cells To Start Powering PDAs, Laptops In 2005
<http://www.commsdesign.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=20300660>
by CommsDesign.com
The use of micro fuel cells for powering laptops and PDAs will begin next year, but it will be a long time before the technology is widespread, a study released Wednesday by ABI Research claims.

*** Congress Takes Closer Look At Digital Copyright Law
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21602-2004May12.html?nav=rss_technology>
by Ted Bridis, Associated Press
Consumer advocates asked Congress on Wednesday to amend a landmark 1998 copyright law to permit film buffs to make personal copies of DVD movies and other digital content for limited purposes. Hollywood studios and the music industry said that would lead to more piracy and lost sales.

[Internet]

*** Google To Sell Type Of Ad It Once Shunned
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/13/technology/13goog.html>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times
The graphic ads will not appear on Google.com for now. But they will appear on the sites of other Web publishers where Google sells advertising.

[Linux]

*** Novell Opens Up Tech Support For Linux
<http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5211149.html>
by Dinesh C. Sharma, CNET News.com
Novell is adding enterprise-level help for its Linux products to its Premium Service technical support program.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Situationist Ethics
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2100419/fr/rss/>
by William Saletan, Slate
The Stanford Prison Experiment doesn't explain Abu Ghraib.

*** Horror Show
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/05/12/beheading_video/index_np.html>
by Frahad Manjoo, Salon
The government did not want us to see nightmarish images from Iraq. But with our soldiers and our enemies armed with digital cameras, we can't escape the gruesome realities of war.

[Life]

*** Who Really Cooks Your Food?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/12/dining/12SOUS.html?8dpc>
by Julia Moskin, New York Times
Chefs de cuisine have always been the workhorses who make every restaurant empire run, but they have never been more necessary, or more visible.

[Expressions]

*** The Lost Glove
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2100294/>
by Ada Limon, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Singapore Relaxes Jail Penalty For Human Cloning
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/5/12/latest/17326Singapore&sec=latest>
by Associated Press
Singapore will reduce the jail term for human cloning from 10 years to five in response to complaints from scientists, according to draft legilsation.

*** Bt Panjang LRT Breaks Down -- Yet Again
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,250595,00.html?>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times
A series of power trips triggered the shutdown. SMRT said the faults had nothing to do with the signalling system that it spent around five months repairing.

*** LTA Offers $1 Million Safety Carrot
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,250607,00.html?>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Rewards for contractors with excellent safety records and penalties for those with poor standards in new rail contracts.

[Technology]

*** All School PCs Shut Down After Virus Strikes
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,250598,00.html?>
by Natalie Soh, Straits Times
All 360 public schools here have been disconnected from the Ministry of Education's computer network after some machines in several schools were found to be infected with a virus.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.