[MyAppleMenu] Mar 20, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 20 13:15:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, March 20, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** FireWire Is Finally Getting Hot
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040319S0005>
by W. David Gardner, TechWeb
After running in the middle of the pack with several other transmission schemes for a decade, 1394 is poised to break out this year.

[News]

*** Apple Announces iBook Repair Program
<http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1075354620.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica
The problems with the iBooks have been a sore spot for Apple users, and it is heartening to see Apple admitting that there is actually a widespread problem with the Dual USB iBooks.

*** Steriogram: The Making Of A Band
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/steriogram/>
by Bija Gutoff, Apple
"We are the geek band. Wherever we turn up, we're working hard on our Macs. We use them seriously all the time -- to keep in touch through email, to edit the video we shoot on DV cams, to keep up our websites. We even made a video about how much we love our Macs!"

*** Upperman High School: The Science Of Learning
<http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/upperman/>
by Apple
"The iBook laptops really remove the limitations on learning."

*** Apple Mac OS X Admin Service Buffer Overflow Lets Remote Users Crash The Service
<http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Mar/1009491.html>
by SecurityTracker.com

*** iPhoto Print Service Now Available In Europe
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/03/19/iphotouk>
by MacMinute

[Opinion]

*** I Sync, Therefore...
<http://www.kewney.com/articles/040319-codepope.html>
by NewsWireless.Net
Quietly, Apple has assembled a very compelling little story about integrating your smaller devices together.

*** The Video iPod, Apple's Next Logical Step
<http://lowendmac.com/archive/04/0319.html>
by Adam Robert Guha, Low End Mac
A small device able to carry movies as well as music is almost ideal for those who want to travel without bringing their laptop computer or portable DVD player.

*** Don't Get Carried Away With Portable War Games
<http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/rupertgoodwins/0,39020691,39149429,00.htm>
by Rupert Goodwins, ZDNet UK
Make it small and last a day, and it does the job. Make it beautiful, and it'll sell itself. Personal Media Centres will fail on all counts.

[Review]

*** Wired For Sound: Which Music Download Site Is The One For You?
<http://www.courier-journal.com/gizweb/cols/04/040320_1.htm>
by Ric Manning, Courier-Journal

*** Firefox Fills The IE Void
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/19/12OPstrategic_1.html>
by Jon Udell, InfoWorld
I've abandoned Safari on OS X for the same reason I've abandoned IE on Windows. Firefox does more, it's moving faster, and -- here's the kicker -- it runs identically on Windows, OS X, and Linux.

*** Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
<http://www.macgamer.com/features/?id=1808>
by Kit Pierce, MacGamer
If you're looking for something that stands out from the tired crowd of first-person shooters, Jedi Academy will treat you right.

*** .Mac
<http://www.applelust.com/reviews/archives/dotmac/>
by Neale Monks, Applelust.com
The individual components of the .Mac service fit together neatly and into a package that is easy to use and tightly integrated with the Macintosh operating system. But is .Mac good value? Unless having a .Mac e-mail account is worth $99 a year to you, then the short answer is no.

*** So Long Eudora, Hello OS X Mail
<http://lowendmac.com/lab/04/0319.html>
by Jeff Adkins, Low End Mac

[Sidetrack]

*** An Apple A Day, From Bill Gates
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/03/20/#20040320bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Well, hell has frozen in Seattle too, cause Bill Gates is giving away a Power Mac G5<http://www.blakems.com/dialog/archives/000046.html> every day in April.

[Wintel]

*** Shot Across Microsoft's Bow
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/165601_msftimpact20.html>
by Todd Bishop, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Importance of EU sanctions could lie in their long-term effects.

*** A Look At The Leaked Longhorn
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/12/11enterwin_1.html>
by Oliver Rist, InfoWorld
The leaked Longhorn Build 4053 wields a slick interface, powerful features -- and a 483MB footprint that's bound to slim down.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Top Stories]

*** Record Stores: We're Fine, Thanks
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,62742,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Katie Dean, Wired News
Some independent music stores are thriving despite the competition from illegal downloads on the Internet. The stores are finding that file sharing can help create a buzz online that can lead to more sales.

[News]

*** We Have Reached Surfing Altitude
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/19/12OPcurve_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/19/12OPcurve_1.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
Boeing's Connexion service will bring the Internet to fliers around the world.

*** A Lose-Lose Situation
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040318.html>
by Robert X. Cringely, PBS
For an industry supposedly dedicated to increasing user productivity, the IT service industry, itself, is uninterested in efficiency and productivity.

*** The CEO's Dilemma
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/12/11OPeditor_1.html>
by Kevin McKean, InfoWorld
This "jobless" recovery is painful and almost predictable.

*** TiVo Will Die
<http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/ZDM/tivo_death_commentary_pcmag_040319.html>
by Jim Louderback, ABC News
Three trends spell doom for the popular personal video recorder.

[Linux]

*** Driving To Laptopia
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7464>
by Doc Searls, Linux Journal
What needs to be addressed before Linux laptops can make it in the real user world.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Hiding Behind The Constitution
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/20/opinion/20RUBE.html>
by William B. Rubenstein, New York Times
Politicians of both parties have avoided the main issue and sought refuge in the abstractions of the Constitution. Instead of asking what kind of society we want, they argue about what our structure of government can permit.

[Life]

*** The Economics Of Faking Orgasm
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2097396/fr/rss/>
by Steven E. Landsburg, Slate
No, really.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** SIA Pilot's PR Status Revoked, Has 7 Days To Appeal To MHA
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/print/76335/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Wants Piece Of LA Action
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/19/1079199424234.html>
by Scott Rochfort, Sydney Morning Herald
The Singapore government is at loggerheads with Australia and is pushing to compete with Qantas on the lucrative trans-Pacific route.

*** Foreign Or Local Workers: A Balancing Act
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,241201,00.html?>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times
Minister assures MPs there are steps to protect Singaporeans; cautions against being too restrictive in hiring of foreigners.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.