[MyAppleMenu] Friday, Mar 12, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 12 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Mar 12, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple's 22 Percent Stock Run-Up Follows Push For New Products (Peter J. Brennan, Bloomberg)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001877101_apple12.html>
Shares of Apple have risen to their highest since September 2000 as investors bet the business-card-sized iPod mini will boost profit.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Legislators Hear Greene School Needs (LaToya Mack, Kinston Free Press)
<http://www.kinston.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=18515&Section=Local>
"When you walk in our classrooms, I think you know that you're looking at the future. If that's the future, the funding should be there."

University Insurer Sues Apple (Lindsay McGregor, Daily Princetonian)
<http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2004/03/12/news/9933.shtml>
An Apple PowerMac G4 plugged into an electrical receptacle box caused the fire in a Moffit Hall lab.

Amsterdam Braced For Apple Store Invasion (Jan Libbenga, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/36194.html>
The three stores are owned not by Apple, but by independent Mac dealers.

Kicking Off The Academy Awards (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2004/03/oscars/>
Opening montage cut and comped on set with Macs running Final Cut Pro.

HP Launches iTunes Site (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8153>
HP launched its HP Music website -- a special section of its site in which it promotes its HP iPod and offers a direct download link for customers to download iTunes.

Apple Offers .Mac Members Nanasaur II Discount (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/23812>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Sing A New Song (Rick Aristotle Munarriz, Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2004/commentary040312RAM.htm>
If change is in the air, why is the indie movement left gasping for it?

Praises for Apple's iPod Warranty Support (iPodlounge)
<http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=3259_0_8_0_C>

What Will The Music Of The Future Sould Like? (Dan Brown, CBC News)
<http://www.cbc.ca/arts/features/downloading/>
Will the way that people access music have an effect on the content of that music?

How I Love Thee, Apple (David Harding)
<http://www.techcynic.com/2004_03_07_technologycynic_archive.html#107907530945087330>
In the past three years, I have completely converted to the Apple camp.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
EyeHome: A Must Have (Bob LeVitus, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/rantsandraves/2004/20040312.shtml>

MP3 Freakout (Jason Snell, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/archives/000103.php>
MPFreaker's got features I haven't seen on the Mac before, and it has done a wonderful job of straightening up my MP3 collection.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Study: Spam Filters Often Lose E-Mails (Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1547726,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
As spam-fighting tools become increasingly aggressive, e-mail recipients risk losing newsletters and promotions they've requested.

'Default' Open-Source Licensing Plans Under Fire (Matt Loney, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39148273,00.htm>
Software developed by public bodies should be released under open-source licences, says the government, in a document that has spooked proprietary software vendors.

McDonald's Wi-Fi Recipe Could Define Industry (Richard Shim, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-7351_3-5172630.html>
It's still early in the game, and companies aren't sure what formula -- if any -- will work best to attract paying customers.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Second Thoughts (Joel Achenbach, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A48182-2004Mar10?language=printer>
If you believe there's no time like the present, you'd be right. Or would you be wrong? Better ask Brian Greene. Whenever.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
In Tokyo, Lots To Eat For Very Little (Elaine Louie, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/10/dining/10TOKY.html>
In Tokyo, one of the most expensive cities in the world, it is possible to eat an entire meal, excluding liquor, for $25 a person. The secret? Follow the Japanese middle class.

You Want Me To Put My Shoes Where? (Harvey Molotch, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/12/opinion/12MOLO.html>
As security concerns inject more checkpoints into our lives, the same questions of design arise.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore White-Collar Jobs Continue To Vanish (Hasan Jafri, Dow Jones)
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/040312/15/3iph9.html>
Companies in Singapore retrenched more managers and professionals than blue-collar workers for the second consecutive year in 2003, underscoring a trend here to cut higher-paid jobs to improve profitability and competitiveness.

East-West MRT Line To Be Extended To Jurong Industrial Estate (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/print/75151/1/.html>
The government is planning to extend the East-West Line to the industrial estates in the western part of the island.

Singapore Government Gives Go-Ahead To Budget Terminal At Changi (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/print/75181/1/.html>
Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong says the feasibility studies are done, and now it is up to these low cost carriers to buy the idea and agree on a design.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.