[MyAppleMenu] Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 10 21:05:01 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
MacHome Magazine Procedure Prevents Repair Disk Permissions From Working (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040310011253126>
Despite the suggestion made in the MacHome article, users should not remove files from /Library/Receipts unless they have a very specific reason to do so.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Writer Of Original Mac Development Doc Talks OS X (Dennis Sellers, MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/03/10/carolinerose>
"I've already seen much of this same software in action back when I was at NeXT, and I'm pleased with its translation to the Mac."

CodeWarrior 9.2 Update Offers Host Of Bug Fixes (Brad Cook, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/03/10/codewarrior/index.php?redirect=1078930256000>

Apple Seminar Reveals Pixar's Switch To OS X, G5s (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/23784>
Pixar is switching to Mac OS X and G5 workstations for its production work.

iPod, You Profit (Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/10/1078594420660.html>

Apple Store Soon (Matthew Cooney, Computerworld New Zealand)
<http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/96FE10B574C51798CC256E530010548C?OpenDocument>
Local Macintosh and iPod aficionados will soon be able to by from an online Apple store.

France Threatens Apple Over Royalties (Associated Press)
<http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/business/8151296.htm>
A French association representing recorded music rights holders threatened to take Apple to court in a dispute over lost music royalties.

Apple Sues Over China Togs-Trademark (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8129>
Apple legal is taking on China in a spat over trademark ownershiop for clothes.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Can You Believe What You Read In The Mac Press? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#press>
Well, like that treatment your physician might suggest for you or a family member, seeking out a second opinion never hurts.

Mac Cognoscenti (Gregory Han, The Unofficial Apple Weblog)
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/6944052395116939/>
It's interesting to note the level of satisfaction felt working on the same computer and operating system being used by other creative folks I admire.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
In-Flight Net Set To Take Off (Amit Asaravala, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,62599,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Boeing is set to launch what it says is the world's first broadband in-flight Internet service.

Log Your Life Via Your Phone (Mark Ward, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3497596.stm>
Nokia is developing software that will help turn its phones into life loggers.

RSS Backer Seeks Merged Syndication Format (Matt Hicks, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1546077,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Dave Winer, the co-author of the RSS format, suggested in a weblog posting that supporters of both formats work to merge RSS and Atom in an effort managed through a Web standards body.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
At Poor Schools, Time Stops On The Library's Shelves (Michael Winerip, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/10/education/10education.html>
At a poor school, the library is often the last priority, and at Williams, it has been neglected for decades.

The Rude, The Bad And The Ugly (David Shaw, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-matters10mar10,0,2131768.column?coll=la-headlines-food>
Have you ever gone to a restaurant with someone who behaved in a way that embrarrassed you? Yeah, me too.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Expressions
>From The Bottom Of The Stairs (Joshua Edwards, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2096721/fr/rss/>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories