[MyAppleMenu] Jun 27, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 27 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, June 27, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** School Districts On South Plains Receive Computer Grants
<http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=1970463>
by KCBD
The $350,000 grant will give each student and teacher at Floydada Junior High a laptop computer to use in the classroom.

[Opinion]

*** Apple Mac And Cheese
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/archives/000237.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
When I mentioned to Alton Brown that we were trying to do a yearlong celebration of the Mac, he offered to whip up a brand-new recipe incorporating apples and "mac" -- macaroni, that it.

[Sidetrack]

*** Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/06/27/#20040627bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
I didn't know there are two tigers<http://news.com.com/Week+ahead:+Tigers+on+the+loose/2100-1084_3-5248345.html?part=rss&tag=5248345&subj=news.1084.20> around the tech industry. One, which we all know, is the next Mac OS X operating system, while the other is Sun's code name for the next version of Java 2 Standard Edition.

Well, now we all know.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** I Want To Be Alone. Please Call Me.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/27/weekinreview/27bels.html>
by Ken Belson, New York Times
One of the many paradoxes of modern technology is that gadgets meant to connect us also end up isolating us.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** The Accidental Tourist
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/27/opinion/27SKYL.html>
by Heather Skyler, New York Times
That's what happens to you when you live in Las Vegas, especially when you're reared there. You get so used to the strange details of the city that they fit into your life iwht a seamlessness you wouldn't expect.

*** Afraid Of Myself
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/27/magazine/27LIVES.html>
by Dan Chaon, New York Times
There was a time in my life when I felt madness encoraching. I'll never know why I escaped.

*** Orchestral Maneuvers In The Dark
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/27/magazine/27PHILHARMONIC.html>
by Arthur Lubow, New York Times
The American orchestra, not just the New York Philharmonic, is stuck in a holding pattern. All orchestra managers want to remain faithful to tradition without seeming musty. They need to attract new audiences without antagonizing the old. They are running hard in opposite directions and wondering why they are standing in place.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** PM Goh Says He Won't Reshuffle Cabinet Before Stepping Down
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/92364/1/.html>
by Joanne Leow, Channel NewsAsia
Mr Goh said he wants to leave it to the new Prime Minister to give new direction to the Cabinet.

*** Singapore Group Halts Plans For Iraq Work
<http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040626-011816-7237r.htm>
by UPI
A key contract for commercial ground services at Baghdad's airport has been scuttled by this week's high-profile killing of a South Korean translator in Iraq.

[Entertainment]

*** Ju Ming: Lifelike Sculptures Descend Upon Singapore
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20040627.Q01&irec=9>
by Carla Bianpoen, Jakarta Post
Those entering Singapore after Wednesday will be struck by a set of parachutes coming down at Changi Airport.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.