[MyAppleMenu] Jun 20, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 20 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, June 20, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Austin Store Can Make Apple Lovers' Dreams Come True
<http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA062004.02R.themacguy.f13a9f0.html>
by Paul Vaughn, San Antonio Express-News
This sort of high-profile retail presence is great for the Mac-using community in Austin and the surrounding area. It is worth a look next time you are in Austin.

*** Big Blue's Big Bet
<http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/4835838.html>
by Steve Alexander, Star Tribune
"Manufacturing PowerPC chips in volume pays off for IBM."

*** It Was The Week The Future Finally Arrived... But Will iTunes Really Change Our Lives?
<http://www.sundayherald.com/42838>
by Iain S Bruce, Sunday Herald
"We are at a crossover point in history where the reality is far more exciting than the hype."

*** Apple Calls The iTunes But Launch Is Off-Key
<http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=699262004>
by Graham Stewart, Scotland On Sunday
The lack of songs from artists on independent record labels has left iTunes looking like a poorly-stocked American import store, lacking local talent.

*** PC Users Can Play Too
<http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,9880774%5E8362,00.html>
by John O'Brien, The Courier-Mail

[Opinion]

*** From Bravo To Word
<http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2004/06/20/160368.aspx>
by Rick Schaut
The basic design goal behind Word's file format was to be able to read in only that amount of information that was necessary to fill the document window with text.

*** Apple Holds Keys To Music Kingdom
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,1242831,00.html>
by John Naughton, The Observer
I have seen the future of music on the net -- and it works. It's the Apple iTunes store.

*** Anxious For Airport Express
<http://www.macmove.com/mt/archives/000122.html>
by Mike Wendland, MacMove.com
I'm finding myself as excited about this product as much as I have been for any Apple device in a long time.

*** New Wi-Fi Device Has Sound Future
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001960076_ptmacc19.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

[Sidetrack]

*** Two Of The Best
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/06/20/#20040620bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Congratulations to Roger Ebert<http://www.suntimes.com/output/zwecker/cst-ftr-roger18.html>, who is getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He, together with James Berardinelli<http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies.html>, are two of my favorite film critics in this world.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Just Look What They're Up To In The Living-Room
<http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/story.jsp?story=533206>
by Stephen Pritchard, Independent
Surf the web from your TV, play music downloads through your speakers. How computing is changing to suit lounge lizards.

*** The Google PC Generation
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/06/18/25OPstrategic_1.html>
by Jon Udell, InfoWorld
Pushing the limits of the PC will yield an array of new functionality.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Thinness And Its Seductions
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/20/magazine/20CONSUMED.html>
by Rob Walker, New York Times
Thin sets are actually TV's to reclaim hearthlike status in the home.

[Life]

*** So You Want To Own A B&B?
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/06/13/so_you_want_to_own_a_bb/>
by Stephen Jermanok, Boston Globe
You've had the dream. We all have. Abandon the grind of the rat race and city living, buy a cute Victorian in postcard-perfect Vermont, and perfect your blueberry muffin recipe so you can open your own bed-and-breakfast. What's stopping you?

*** The Harlem Project
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/20/magazine/20HARLEM.html>
by Paul Tough, New York Times
After nearly a decade of welfare reform and small-bore anti-poverty programs, Geoffrey Canada has a radical new thesis: If you really want to change the lives of inner-city kids, change everything -- their schools, their families, their neighborhood -- all at once.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Singapore Apologizes For Detaining Women
<http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2004/06/19/1087617659.htm>
by eTaiwanNews.com
Singaporean police authorities have offered an apology for the oredeal suffered by three Taiwan women who were held in custody for over 13 hours during their leisure trip to the city-state.

*** You Can Now Pay Tax With Plastic
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,257300,00.html?>
by Li Xueying, Straits Times
Two banks are offering Singaproeans the option of charging their income tax payments to their credit cards.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.