[MyAppleMenu] Jun 18, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 18 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, June 18, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** The Guardian Profile: Steve Jobs
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1241745,00.html>
by Duncan Campbell, The Guardian
The co-founder of Apple is in the UK this week to launch a product he says will "bring the music revolution" to our shores. But such confidence has its flipside, and colleagues warn that the patience of Jobs is not legendary.

*** The Music Man
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB108716565680435835-IRjfYNolaV3nZyqaHmHcKmGm4,00.html>
by Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal
Apple CEO Steve Jobs talks about the success of iTunes, Mac's future, movie piracy.

[News]

*** Pleasanton Lets Its Kids Keep Laptops
<http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/stories/MYSA0616.1B.laptops.60909ba.html>
by Diana Reinhart, San Antonio Express-News
The school board here voted Tuesday to keep a pioneering high school program that equips every student and teacher with a wireless laptop computer.

*** The Meaning Of iPod
<http://www.economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2724432>
by The Economist
How Apple's iPod music-player and its imitators are changing the way music is consumed.

*** QuarkXPress 6.2 'This Summer'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=8949>
by Macworld UK
The release will fix known bugs that exist in XPress 6.1. Existing customers will be able to download the update, as well as free software packages Quark Vista and QuakXClusive.

*** AirPorts Express And Extreme: Who Should Use Which?
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/16/newairport>
by Dennis Sellers, MacMinute

*** Half Of Potential Mac Customers Choose Apple
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/34572.html>
by Blane Warrene, MacNewsWorld
"You get some conversions away from Apple because there are folks who really want -- or at least are interested in -- Macs but end up going with the lowest price."

*** Learning Unshackled
<http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/pennstate/>
by Apple
In Penn State's Department of Computer Science and Engineering, graduate students prepare for careers in academic research and information services by learning every computing platform: Linux, UNIX, BSD, Solaris, Windows, and more. In the past, students worked on Sun workstations to hone their skills on a wide range of applications. Now, all graduate CSE students are given a single system to manage their entire computing course load: a 15-inch PowerBook G4 laptop running Mac OS X. According to Penn State's faculty, it's the only tool that students need.

*** Apple Readying First Iowa Retail Store
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=510>
by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

[Opinion]

*** I Lovve AppleScript Studio
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/ihnatko/2004/20040618.shtml>
by Andy Ihnatko, Mac Observer
AppleScript Studio reminded me that writing software is creative and energizing and exciting.

*** Memo To Steve Jobs: Give iPod Color!
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_hellweg061804.asp?trk=nl>
by Eric Hellweg, MIT Technology Review
The sleek iPod is cruising along as the leading digital music player. But it's not going to stay that way unless Apple spiffs up the device with a better display.

*** Five Things The Next iTunes Version Needs To Have
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/5049>
by Harold Martin, O'Reilly Network
I have many tracks by more than one artist.

*** End Of An Era: Apple's Personal Desktop Computer Business Is Dead
<http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=552>
by Joel Hruska, Sudhian Media
I say that Apple is abandoning the PC desktop altogether in favor of the higher-margin workstation market.

[Review]

*** How To Kill A Windows Network
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5078>
by Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Network
Wednesday afternoon I experimented for the first time with binding Panther Server to our Windows Active Directory. It all just worked. Thursday morning I got an urgent call from the sysadmin that many of the Windows machines on our network were unable to log on.

*** Final Cut Express 2.0
<http://www.machome.com/reviews/display.lasso?grr8=243>
by Zack Stern, MacHome
With relatively low system requirements and a rich feature set, Final Cut Express is just right for intermediate videomakers.

*** Microsoft Revamps Its Mac Office Suite
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=9371&cid=3&cname=Technology>
by Stephen Ballantyne, National Business Review

*** A Portable Portable
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/tangible/04/06/17/index.html>
by Marc Zeedar, MacOPINION

*** The New PowerBook 17: Icing On The PowerBook Cake?
<http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,93879,00.html>
by Ken Mingis, Computerworld
Sure, there are those questionable Xbench scores. But I find it hard to quibble about something like that when I have the latest adn greatest PowerBook to date sitting in front of me.

[Sidetrack]

*** Debugging MyAppleMenu.com
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/06/18/#20040618bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Dear readers, if you are reading MyAppleMenu through a RSS reader, you will probably see some repeated entries, as I am going through the debugging process of fixing the RSS feeds.

Dear readers, if you are webmasters that uses the javascripts to embed MyAppleMenu contents into your web site, this feature should be working again.

Once again, my apologies for the bug(s), and thanks for your patience.

*** What's In A Name?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/06/18/#20040618bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Bobbie Gossage<http://www.inc.com/magazine/20040701/gettingstarted.html>, in Inc.: [Lexicon] say the P and B in PowerBook connote strength and reliability.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Top Stories]

*** Microsoft Research DRM Talk
<http://craphound.com/msftdrm.txt>
by Cory Doctorow
Here's what I'm here to convince you of: 1) That DRM systems don't work. 2) That DRM systems are bad for society. 3) That DRM systems are bad for business. 4) That DRM systems are bad for artists. 5) That DRM is a bad business-move for Microsoft.

[News]

*** Intel Is Aiming At Living Rooms In Marketing Its Latest Chip
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/18/technology/18chip.html>
by John Markoff and Gary Rivlin, New York Times
Intel introduces its first major chipset upgrade in 10 years, but signs are mounting that the company may be limited in what it can do with PC architecture.

*** Q&A With MIT's Nicholas Negroponte
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_25/b3888606.htm>
by BusinessWeek
The cyber-soothsaying author of Being Digital looks at what's next: "Peer-to-peer is key."

[Internet]

*** Weblogs.com Authors Gain Reprieve
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1614290,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by David Morgenstern, eWeek
After facing a virtual mob of outraged Webloggers following his abrupt shutdown of the weblogs.com service, Dave Winer says he has a transition plan for former users of the free Weblog site.

*** International Conference Targets Internet Hate Speech
<http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/06/17/online.hate.ap/index.html>
by Associated Press

[Linux]

*** Linux Enterprise Grip Tightens With EU Wins
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1613840,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by Peter Galli, eWeek
The open source Linux operating system continues to gain ground in governmental agencies around the world, winning another two converts this week.

*** Munich Agrees To Linux Migration Plan
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/06/17/HNmunichmigration_1.html>
by John Blau, IDG News Service
Local German government to roll out open source apps in more than 14,000 computers.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** Outsourcing Rejection
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/04/phone_center/index.html>
by Ali Davis, Salon
I screened job applicants over the phone for a compny I didn't work for. My favorite part: Arrogant middle managers who suddenly begun to grovel when they realized I wasn't the receptionist.

*** You Call This A Vacation?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/18/travel/escapes/18SUMM.html>
by Andy Newman, New York Times
More and more people are taking "service vacations," where they pay for the privilege of spending a week performing back-breaking or mind-numbing tasks.

*** What's The Point Of A Byline Strike?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2102593/fr/rss/>
by Sundhir Muralidhar, Slate
How anonymity became a bargaining chip.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Year-Old NEL Did Better Than Expected
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,256867,00.html?>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times
Operator SBS Transit says new line had fewer delays and above-target reliability and service availability.

[Entertainment]

*** Goal 2010 No More
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/21000.asp>
by Stanley Ho, Today
FAS calls former project an 'albatross', launches roadmap.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.