[MyAppleMenu] Jun 16, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 16 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** A Tougher Sell For iTunes
<http://news.com.com/Commentary:+A+tougher+sell+for+iTunes/2030-1027_3-5235016.html?part=rss&tag=5235016&subj=news.1027.20>
by Paul Jackson and Rebecca Ulph Jennings, CNET News.com
The online music market has changed significantly during the past 15 months, and Apple is no longer a standout leader in this field, especially in Europe.

*** 700,000 iTMS Cuts In UK? More Like 300-400K, Analysts Told
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/06/15.14.shtml>
by Brad Gibson, Mac Observer
Analysts who were briefed by Apple were told each country would only have between 300,000 and 400,000 cuts available for download -- a far cry from the total of 700,000 available from its US online music site.

*** Apple Marches To Own Tune In Shunning Video iPod
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=reutersEdge&storyID=5430861>
by Duncan martell, Reuters
Brokering licensing deals with content distributors and creators, such as movie studios, is expensive and time-consuming. Also, there is yet to be any sign of great clamoring for portable video players by consumers.

*** Blackout Hits Major Web Sites
<http://news.com.com/Blackout+hits+major+Web+sites/2100-1038_3-5234500.html?part=rss&tag=5234500&subj=news.1038.20>
by Jim Hu, CNET News.com
A domain name outage Tuesday morning that left many popular Web sites such as Yahoo, Google, Microsoft.com and Apple.com temporarily inaccessible was the result of an Internet attack, according to Web infrastructure company Akamai.

*** Injecting Fun Into Learning
<http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories2004/features/20040615004442.shtml>
by Mike Perrault, The Desert Sun
Students in Michelle Loya's combined third-, fourth- and fifth-grade special education class are showing how a fledgling computer project can help them tap their creativity and better express themselves.

*** The Perils Of Random
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=342396>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
"It was not until Pennsylvania that we realised that we had neglected to turn off the 'random' feature of the iPod, so we were getting chapters in arbitrary order, the plot entirely in the mischievous hands of fate."

[Review]

*** Make Your Own Private Radio Station With An iPod
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/3597373383872462/>
by Engadget

[Sidetrack]

*** What Is A Boolean?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/06/16/#20040616bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
A boolean in programming langauge, if I remember my computer science lessons correctly, is a value that can either be "true", or "false."

Except in Microsoft-land, that is, where it can have a value of either "true", "false", or negative one<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinUI/WindowsUserInterface/Windowing/MessagesandMessageQueues/MessagesandMessageQueuesReference/MessagesandMessageQueuesFunctions/GetMessage.asp>. :-)

*** Rumor Today: The All New iPod Car Adapter
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/06/16/#20040616bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
MacMinute<http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/15/bmw>, quoting from a yet-to-be-released advertisement: "With the installation of an integrated adapter developed by BMW and Apple, you can control your iPod through the existing audio system adn multi-function steering wheel."

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Security Exec Details Windows XP Service Pack Plans
<http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,93658,00.html>
by Carol Silwa, Computerworld
The release, due this summer, places strong emphasis on firewall capability.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Thousands Of Blogs Fall Silent
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,63856,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Michelle Delio, Wired News
Blogging pioneer Dave Winer unexpectedly closed Weblogs.com, his free blog-hosting service, on Sunday, leaving thousands of bloggers without access to their blogs.

[Internet]

*** Google Invests In Chinese Search
<http://news.com.com/Google+invests+in+Chinese+search/2100-1038_3-5234222.html?part=rss&tag=5234222&subj=news.1038.20>
by Dinesh C. Shama, CNET News.com
Search giant Google and venture capital firm Draper Fisher Jurvetson ePlanet Ventures are among the new investors in Chinese search engine Baidu.com.

*** Blackout Hits Major Web Sites
<http://news.com.com/Blackout+hits+major+Web+sites/2100-1038_3-5234500.html?part=rss&tag=5234500&subj=news.1038.20>
by Jim Hu, CNET News.com
A domain name outage Tuesday morning that left many popular Web sites such as Yahoo, Google, Microsoft.com and Apple.com temporarily inaccessible was the result of an Internet attack, according to Web infrastructure company Akamai.

[Linux]

*** Flaw Pops Up In Linux Kernel
<http://news.com.com/Flaw+pops+up+in+Linux+kernel/2100-7344_3-5235028.html?part=rss&tag=5235028&subj=news.7344.20>
by Robert Lemos, CNET News.com
Linux users have been urged to fix a flaw in the core component of the open-source operating system, following the public release of code that could be used to crash Linux systems.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** Could It Be Curtains For Tablecloths?
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-matters16jun16,0,357720.column?coll=la-headlines-food>
by David Shaw, Los Angeles Times
There are few pleasures in life I enjoy more than what I've come to think of as "the dining experience." When I use that term, I don't mean only a high-end, multistar meal; I mean any meal -- especially dinner -- where y ou eat well and leisurely, where the meal is the event and the restaurant is the destination, not just a quick pit stop en route to some other activity, and where the setting and noise level encourage rather than prohibit conversation.

[Expressions]

*** The Invention Of Glass
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2101546/fr/rss/>
by Mesomedes (Second Century A.D.), translated from the Greek by Sherod Santos, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** A Candid Conversation With The Future Prime Minister Of The Republic Of Singapore: Lee Hsien Loong
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=12038>
by Tom Plate, Asia Pacific Media Network
What's the number one thing on your mind right now? "Right now? Babies!"

*** Cisco To Shed Statutory-Board Status
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,256490,00.html?>
by Rebecca Lee, Straits Times
With a new law, the Police will have the power to authorise the creation of auxiliary police forces that may operate comercially anywhere in Singapore.

*** No Fare Hike This Year Despite Extra Security
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,256480,00.html?>
by Rebecca Lee, Straits Times
Bus and train fares will not be raised this year despite the extra cost involved in deploying security guards at MRT stations and bus interchanges.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.