[MyAppleMenu] Jul 11, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 11 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, July 11, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** iPod Mini Comes To Singapore On July 24 -- For $458
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/gizmos/story/0,4386,260912,00.html?>
by Reuters
A spokesman for the Macshop in Funan The IT Mall said more than 100 customers have placed bookings for the iPod Mini.

*** Gates And Jobs, Together At Last
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/11/business/yourmoney/11suits.html?ex=1247198400&en=6c3dbbc30d599083&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland>
by Jane L. Levere, New York Times
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have been celebrated in books, magazines, newspapers, even a television movie. Now comes musical theater.

*** Grassroots Hackers Create File-Swapping Wireless iPod
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/10/wireless_ipod/>
by Andrew Orlowski, The Register
In a bundle that hooks a Pocket PC up to an iPod -- with the iPod as a USB slave device -- the entire contents of the yuppy's music hoard can now be shared with the rest of the world: via streaming or file transfer.

[Opinion]

*** Rumblings Underfoot
<http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=26671>
by Kevin Schmitt, Digitl Video Editing
Signs point to something pretty cool lurking behind Dashboard.

[Review]

*** Apple iBook G4
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40398-2004Jul10.html>
by Alan S. Kay, Washington Post
It's an Apple -- well put together, good fit and finish, with better software integration than you're likely to see on a Windows machine and great battery life.

*** PowerBook G4s
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/34976.html>
by Henry Norr, MacNewsWorld
For the average business traveler or student, there's a lot to like about the new 12-inch PowerBook.

[Sidetrack]

*** What's On The Airwaves Around The World
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/11/#20040711bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Thanks to Doc Searls<http://doc.weblogs.com/2004/07/11#towardAPublicRadioCommons> who made the discovery, PublicRadioFan.com<http://www.publicradiofan.com/> is an extremely cool resource for radio lovers whose taste is a bit different from your regular commercial offerings.<http://doc.weblogs.com/2004/07/11#towardAPublicRadioCommons>

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Top Stories]

*** Glimmer Of Hope In Copyright Measures
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/9129662.htm>
by Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News
The copyright wars continue. For a change, I have some modestly good news from the front lines.

[News]

*** Mobile TV Coming Of Age
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3880069.stm>
by Spencer Kelly, BBC News
With mobiles starting to dominate our daily lives, there is growing interest in the idea of TV on the phone.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** New York's Bizarre Museum Moment
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/11/arts/design/11KIMM.html?ex=1247284800&#38;en=9bba8a759e4b03f5&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
by Michael Kimmelman, New York Times
Just as New York is shaking off its sorrows and crawling out of debt, our muesumes seem to be going through weird convulsions, falling apart, abandoning their collections, being hijacked by trustees or suffering delusions of grandeur. This is their most precarious moment in many years.

*** How To Make A Guerrilla Documentary
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/11/magazine/11FOX.html>
by Robert S. Boynton, New York Times
Robert Greenwald made his new movie about Fox News in secret, using leaked internal memos and unlicensed footage. Can a quick release and a team of lawyers keep Fox from trying to shut it down?

*** All The News That's Fit To Spoof
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-sccomedy28jul11,1,5925083.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
by Jessica Gelt, Los Angeles Times
"This is NCR, National Corporate Radio News: Our News, for You. Coming up next, stay tuned for 'All Tings Condescended,' the news that makes you feel smarter than your friends who watch TV."

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Stiff Competition Driving More Cabbies Off The Road
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,260942,00.html?>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
More cabs on the road may be good news to the commuter, but cabbies unable to cope with the competition posed by the rising numbers are throwing in the towel.

*** 12,000 Throng Gluttons Square Every Night
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,260887,00.html?>
by Li Xueying, Straits Times
Big crowds surprise organisers, but stress out some hawkers.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.