[MyAppleMenu] Friday, Feb 6, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 6 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Feb 6, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Why I Love Apple's New iLife (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7298_16-5120446.html>
Even if you're not a Mac user and never want to be, you should drop by an Apple store and see GarageBand in action.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
A New Museum Takes Flight (Nancy Eaton, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2004/02/udvarhazy/>
Using QuickTime VR technology, the museum captures detailed interior and exterior views of each object, loading the finished movies into kiosks near the exhibits for public viewing.

Apple Store Opening In Mission Viejo, CA Next Week (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/06/applestore>

MacBand.com Lets GarageBand Users Share Music (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/06/macband>
The site offers an online directory of songs and loops created by users who submit their work.

Students Receive Mac-nificent Gift (L. Lamor Williams, Star-Telegram)
<http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/local/states/texas/arlington/7890199.htm>
Arlington school district gives away 100 of its refurbished computers.

Safari 1.2 'Panther-Powered' Apple Responds (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7866>
"Safari 1.2 has been designed to leverage advances in Panther not present in the Jaguar release of Mac OS X."

Apple Japan Boss Quits For McDonald's (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7858>

Filter Error Responsible For .Mac Mail Loss (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/23298>
Sources confirm that the emails not delivered during the type Apple's .Mac downtime have been permanently lost.

Alpine With Apple iPod (CARkeys)
<http://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/2004_february/06/1942.asp>

Apple Reaffirms Committment To OpenGL (Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=663_0_1_0_M>

Apple, Unova Resolve Patent Dispute (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/05/unova>
Unova sued Apple and other computer makers in May 2002, claiming infringement of a patented invention to monitor use and recharging of laptop batteries. In January 2003, Apple filed a lawsuit against Unova for using technology protected by six Apple patents without permission.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Video iPods On The Horizon (Eliot Van Buskirk, ZDNet)
<http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7298_16-5120488.html>
I thought that Apple would forgo an iPod portable video player (PVP), but the company is reportedly working on one.

Dire Straits (Paul Nesbitt, PC Pro)
<http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=53130>
Apple's main problem has been its refusal to price the iMac as a genuine hot consumer item, rather than as a glorified executive toy.

Electronic Delivery Ain't No Record Store (Matt Haughey)
<http://a.wholelottanothing.org/archives.blah/007697>

The Mac Hardware Report: Can Apple's Sales Keep Up? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#up>
Maybe Apple should call on its design geniuses to rethink the all-in-one personal computer yet again, deliver something recognizable yet still demonstrating company's flair for great looks.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
This Blazing iMac Beauty Has Brawn To Spare (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2390178>
While it isn't cheap, it delivers a lot of bang for your buck. And it has the biggest, most beautiful display ever in an iMac.

Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness (Kirk Hiner, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=665_0_1_0_M>
Angel of Darkness does not breath new life into the genre, and it won't raise the Tomb Raider series to the level of importance that it once attained. But, when it comes to finding that necessary balance of action, adventure, and puzzle solving to make a game successful, Lara Croft hasn't missed a step.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
The Future Of E-Mail (Brian Livingston, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1516842,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Eventually, a large percentage of the one-to-many communications within an enterprise could be handled using RSS instead of blasting group e-mail to everyone.

Save The Mails (Steve Gillmor, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1515071,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
I agree with Bill's time estimate of two years -- that's how long it will take for the convergence of RSS and social networks to produce a network ecology based on the efficiencies of aggregated micro-content filtering by dynamic peers.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
What A Country! (Bill Kauffman, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110004657>
Every four years, candidates and journalists discover America -- or do they?

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
The Reporter They Left Behind (Mariane Peral, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2004/02/06/pearl/index_np.html>
Two years after my husband, Danny Pearl, was kidnapped and murdered, his employers at the Wall Street Journal seem all too willing to forget.

They Came, They sang, They Conquered (Allan Kozinn, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/06/arts/music/06BEAT.html>
>From the distance of 40 years it seems almost silly, but on Sunday, Feb. 9, 1964, at 8 p.m., nearly 74 million Americans -- just under half the country, according to the Nielsen ratings -- plopped in front of their television sets to watch four English rock 'n' rollers in their early 20's introduce themselves to the country by playing five songs on "The Ed Sullivan Show" on CBS.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Pink Dolphins Caught In Wild But They Can Stay (Lee Hui Chieh, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,233687,00.html?>
AVA admits error but says it's legal for Underwater World to keep them, even though they weren't bred in captivity.

sMRT Malls (Leong Pik Yin and Woon tai Keat, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,233703,00.html?>
Rail operator plans to inject new life into the shopping space in bigger stations, with cafes and cool shops. Raffles Place will be turned into mini shopping mall.

Wasteful Year-End Push To Use Up Funds (Lydia Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,233708,00.html?>
A pet peeve of those writing to Cut Waste Panel, but govt has allowed rollover since 2001.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.