[MyAppleMenu] Monday, Feb 2, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 2 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Feb 2, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Releases Safari Update (Jim Darlymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/02/02/safari/index.php?redirect=1075734430000>
In addition to stability enhancements, Safari 1.2 also includes several new features requested by users.

Music Biz Urges Download Harmony (Brian Garrity, Billboard)
<http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=musicNews&storyID=4256841>
While this is not specifically an Apple and Microsoft matter, many of the practical issues center on compatibility between the two tech giants.

hollywood Mogul Plays By Technology's Rules (John Markoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/02/technology/02jobs.html>
The decision by Steve Jobs to walk away from his partnership with Disney is the clearest indication yet that Jobs is becoming the personification of the digital media mogul.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Releases Java 1.4.2 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/02/02/java/index.php?redirect=1075734428000>
"In addition to providing support for Sun's Java 1.4.2 APIs, this release includes enhancements to drawing performance and stability for both Java applications and Java applets," said Apple.

Apple Has Eye On 275,000 s.f. (Mary Alice Kaspar, Austin Business Journal)
<http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2004/02/02/story1.html>
Apple Computer Inc. is negotiating to lease roughly 275,000 square feet in Northwest Austin being vacated by another large company.

New Zealand Schools To Get Free Apple Software (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/02/newzealand>
The New Zealand Ministry of Education on Mondayannounced that all state and state-integrated schools using Macs would get free copies of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, Keynote and iLife by mid-February.

OmniWeb 5 Public Beta Now Available (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/02/omniweb5>

Adobe Ships InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (Jim Darlymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/02/02/pagemaker/index.php?redirect=1075711028000>
First introduced during Macworld Conference and Expo last month, the new release includes the PageMaker Plug-in Pack, a set of tools to give PageMaker users a familiar interface if they switch to InDesign.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Don't Expect iLife Version For Windows (Jon Fortt, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/personal_technology/7854668.htm>
It would take a major cultural shift at the company -- a shift that hasn't happened yet -- before we see Windows versions of Apple software such as iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Worth The Weight: Testing The 20-Inch iMac (Gene Steinberg, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/genesteinberg/2004-02-02-steinberg_x.htm>
It's a perfect consumer computer with aspirations to much more.

Xserve Offers Users Power, Choice In A 'Dream Machine' (Ryan Faas, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,89682,00.html>
Two words come immediately to mind to describe Apple's Xserve G5: power and choice.

The Sims: Makin' Magic (Danny Gallagher, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/view.php?ID=136>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
Ten Technologies That Refuse To Die (Eric Scigliano, MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/scigliano0204.asp?trk=nl>
>From typewriters to vacuum tubes, these 10 technologies aren't as obsolete as you might think.

some Managers Hold Firm Against Pressure To Move IT Jobs Overseas (Justin Pope, Associated Press)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1484814,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
There is some evidence of a slowdown in outsourcing, the more general trend of which tech offshoring is a subset.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions