[MyAppleMenu] Aug 20, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 20 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, August 20, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** An Ear For Downloads
<http://news.com.com/An+ear+for+downloads/2008-1025_3-5317234.html?part=rss&tag=5317234&subj=news.1025.20>
by David Becker, CNET News.com
"Part of it was that we [Audible.com] havve a level of service and a level of product and a customer base where frankly we just met Apple's standards. Apple gets dinged sometimes for not partnering in certain spaces, but they've certainly partnered well with us. And there's just the fact that Steve Jobs get literate listening. When we first talked, it was about great spoken performances of books.

[News]

*** Apple To Make Moves At IBC
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9438>
by Macworld UK
Apple has confirmed it will have a "major presence" at IBC in Amsterdam this September. IBC is Europe's key trade show for media, video and broadcasting professionals.

*** Hackers Revive iTunes Music Sharing
<http://zdnet.com.com/Hackers+revive+iTunes+music+sharing/2100-1105_2-5316700.html?type=pt&part=itpapers&tag=feed&subj=news>
by John Borland, CNET News.com
A group of anonymous programmers has released new software that allows music to be swapped via Apple's popular iTunes jukebox. OurTunes works only among computers that share a network, however.

[Opinion]

*** My True Love Is Small And Expensive
<http://news.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=965452004>
by Emma Cowing, Scotsman
The iPod is modern, it's practical and it provokes reactions ranging from subtle jealousy to a sly sort of admiration. Best of all, it slots perfectly into my life.

*** 99 Cents Or A Dollar?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/19/technology/circuits/19POGUE-EMAIL.html>
by David Pogue, New York Times
When I see "$299.99," I don't think "Hey, not even $300!"; instead, I think: "Profit padding."

*** Okay, I Guess I'm Sorry Too...
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/archives/2004/08/000299.php>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
"The iPod mini hints that much of Apple was on lunch break when the 'Power Mac G4 Cube: lessons Learned' memo circulated." is a good line -- and one that I was loathe to waste.

*** A Political Struggle
<http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/archives/005741.html>
by Dana Blankenhorn
Customer loyalty, usually a wonderful thing, can be turned into passion that looks very political indeed.

*** Are Macs Too Expensive?
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/004946.php>
by Sandy McMurray
Unfortunately, many consumers never get past the price tag.

*** Infected PCs Need Not Allowed
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#allowed>
by Gene Steinberg

[Review]

*** Apple Remote Desktop 2 'Well Worth The Money'
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,95348,00.html>
by Yuval Kossovsky, Computerworld

*** Mobile Mac: Travel Survival Tips
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/secrets/septembermobilemac/>
by Jason O'Grady, Macworld

*** DVD Studio Pro 3.0: Update Adds Enhanced Effects, Workflow Improvements
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/reviews/dvdstudiopro3/>
by Jim Held, Macworld
If you're contemplating going beyond iDVD -- or if you're still suffering through using DVD Studio Pro 1.X -- don't hesitate to jump to DVD Studio Pro 3.0. Users of version 2 won't get any life-changing productivity gains from version 3, but the new Graphical view and other workflow improvements are welcome.

*** FontAgent Pro 2.1: Font Manager Gives Small Studios A Boost
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/reviews/fontagentpro2x1/>
by Andrew Shalat, Macworld
FontAgent Pro 2.1's all-in-one organization, activation, and repair facility is topped only by its clever and easy font-sharing feature. Despite some nagging flaws and inflexibilities, it's an excellent choice for a small studio or an individual user.

*** Mac Gems
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/reviews/septembermacgems/>
by Macworld

*** iPod Voice Recorders: Griffin iTalk Takes The Lead In Sound-Quality Race With Belkin Voice Recorder
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/reviews/ipodvoicerecorders/>
by Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Pays Dear For Insults Through Ignorance
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12597,1286066,00.html>
by Paul Brown, The Guardian
Insensitive computer programmers with little knowledge of geography have cost the giant Microsoft company hundreds of millions of dollars in lost business and led hapless company employees to be arrested by offended governments.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Design Software Comes With Machine Shop Attached
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/08/ap_081904.asp?trk=top>
by Peter Svensson, Associated Press
It's the Internet Revolution meets the Industrial Revolution: a new program that lets people design 3-D objects like car parts and door knobs in metal or plastic then order them online.

[Linux]

*** Does Linux Have An Image Problem?
<http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1750394049;fp;4;fpid;4>
by LinuxWorld Australia

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** The Art Of Communication: From CCCs To WWW
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,268090,00.html?>
by Basskaran Nair, Straits Times

[News]

*** Civil Servants To Have 5-Day Work Week?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/24322.asp>
by Raymond Andrew, Today
"It's the government's realisation that they need to somehow create a little bit more relaxed, though not lazy, society... Perhaps it will lead to more sports, and more babies, maybe?"

[Opinion]

*** Ties With Singapore Under New PM Lee
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20040820.E02&irec=1>
by Jusuf Wanandi, Jarkarta Post
THere are two most important challenges for PM Lee Hsien Loong. First, to fulfil the expectations of a new and younger generation, influenced by globalization and especially the West. Second, and this is realted to the first issue, is rising expectations. The PAP government has promised that they are going to deliver the goods, and in turn the people have to cooperate with their policies, including acceptance of some limitations of political freedoms.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.