[MyAppleMenu] Aug 17, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 17 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** RealNetworks Targets iTunes With Song Sales, Ad Campaign
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/16/realnetworks>
by MacMinute

*** Apple's iPod Invades The Classroom
<http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/biz/content/business/bizCOXnet_PTECH0815.html;COXnetJSessionID=BhUC8UTDaHOULkYVgjUjJSyjXYy4qXrb2dTXauvn9YeGt7E5pxzD!-2123065605?urac=n&urvf=10927032989140.3146592378142379>
by Helena Oliviero, Palm Beach Daily News
iPods are being used to listen to languages and othe rmaterial in a few college courses, quickly making the pocket-sized gizmos the newest sweetheart of the college learning experience.

*** Darren Brandl, Student Filmmaker: Film Mogul In The Making
<http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/brandl/>
by Apple
Supported by his iMac and Final Cut Pro, Brandl has been the recipient of multiple national awards for his work. Not a bad resume for someone who just graduated from high school.

*** Longer G5 Chip Delay May Hurt Apple Earnings
<http://www.forbes.com/business/healthcare/2004/08/16/0816automarketscan11.html>
by Forbes
"Apple had previously stated that it expected to have shortages of its 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GHz procesors through July, with supply catching up in August. We now believe that IBM may be having difficulty meeting its revised supply commitments."

*** 'Playlist' Magazine To Focus On Digital Music
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/16/playlist>
by MacMinute
The magazine was originally to be called iPodworld, but the name was apparently changed after Apple said it would not give permission for use of the name.

[Opinion]

*** Why iSync Is Cool. What It Really Needs.
<http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/why_isync_is_cool_what_it_really_needs>
by Jack D. Miller, Mac360

[Sidetrack]

*** Color-Changing Case? It's Already Here
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/17/#20040817bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
There's been a lot of hooha lately about Apple's patent of a color-changing computer case, powered by little LED lights. And there's a lot of speculation what the next iMac, as a result, will be like.

But, an interesting point out there suggests that this has already been implemented by Apple: the sleep-light on the latest iBook and eMac<http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=118114&cid=9979585>.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** RSS Gets Down To Business
<http://news.com.com/RSS+gets+down+to+business/2100-1012_3-5311747.html?part=rss&tag=5311747&subj=news.1012.20>
by David Becker, CNET News.com
Primarily the province of bloggers, RSS is moving into the business realm, with the release this week of a new application for sharing calendar data over the Internet.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Save The Whales! Then What?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/17/science/17whale.html?ex=1250481600&#38;en=1287948ae454eb8c&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Andrew C. Revkin, New York Times
Some whale populations are on the rebound. Can they be both protected and eaten?

[Life]

*** And The Band Played Scared
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/17/opinion/17slichter.html?ex=1250481600&#38;en=8da0f71ef754092e&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Jacob Slichter, New York Times
Outdoor summer concerts fueled my ambition as a teenager. When I first played them myself, I had a very different feeling: fear.

*** How To Read Mastering The Art Of French Cooking
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2105213/fr/rss/>
by Sara Dickerman, Slate
Six recipes Julia Child would want you to make.

[Expressions]

*** Spellbound
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2105264/fr/rss/>
by James Richardson, Slate

*** The Ractious South
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?040823fi_fiction>
by Gina Ochsner, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Another Lee Leads Singapore
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/16/1092508365954.html>
by The Age
A second generation of leadership confirms the dynastic rule of the island state.

*** Face Off: Double-Decker Versus Bendy
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,267497,00.html?>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Bendys are more accessible but double-deckers take up less road space, say operators.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.