[MyAppleMenu] Aug 15, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 15 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, August 15, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Inside Cult Of Mac
<http://www.telegraphindia.com/1040815/asp/calcutta/story_3628926.asp>
by Subhajit Banerjee, The Telegraph, India
Welcome to a small but passionate community that includes doctors, corporate honchos, housewives, technicians and students. The Cult of Mac is spreading slowly, but rock steadily, in Calcutta.

*** Apple Releases Safari Update For Jaguar Users
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/08/14/safari/?lsrc=mcrss-0804>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
The new v1.0.3 release "improves the Safari rendering engine to expand third party application support and delivers the latest security enhancements."

[Opinion]

*** Who Ever Heard Of An Apple For The Students?
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/lifestyles/sho-sunday-jeff15.html>
by Jeff Vrabel, Chicago Sun-Times
An iPod! For nothing! A free, 20-GB MP3 player for jack diddly squat! I don't want to overreact here, but when I got to school, it took my dorm three weeks to furnish a reliable supply of toilet paper!

*** Riding Out A Hurricane With Apple Technology
<http://billpalmer.net/com000253.html>
by Bill Palmer
At this point, it's just me, my PowerBook, and my iPod. Thank goodness for Apple technology, eh?

*** The Boy Who Cried 'Mac Tablet'
<http://blog.ziffdavis.com/rothenberg/archive/2004/08/13/1717.aspx>
by Matthew Rothenberg, Ziff Davis
After all Apple's protestations to the contrary, could this really be the year of the Mac Tablet?

*** What If Steve Jobs Had Stayed Back In Benares?
<http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20040823&fname=ZiVarious&sid=1>
by OutLookIndia.com
In the early '70s, a stoned hippie called Steve Jobs arrived in Benares looking for nirvana.

[Review]

*** iPod's Still The Apple Of My Ear, Even With A Walkman In Hand
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/ny-txwilliams3930244aug15,1,956715.column?coll=la-utilities-technology>
by Stephen Williams, Newsday
"How's it compare to the iPod?" "Battery life is a lot longer, up to 30 hours." "The LCD readout is kind of dim." "Battery life is a lot longer." "I understand it can't play MP3 files." "Battery life is a lot longer." Sense a theme here?

[Sidetrack]

*** Software Worthy Of Stealing
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/15/#20040815bg000005>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
The Mac OS is in John Dvorak's Top 10 Most Important Software Programs<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1633752,00.asp>, ever.

*** Remember The Good Old Days?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/15/#20040815bg000004>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
<http://www.worth1000.com/cache/gallery/contestcache.asp?contest_id=3307&display=photoshop>

*** Make That iBook-Pad Already
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/15/#20040815bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Scobleizer<http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/08/14.html#a8081>: I think it'd be nuts for Apple to not do [a tablet PC].

All the components are there. The question is whether Apple can do one that is good and cheap.

*** Count The Pods
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/15/#20040815bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
How many iPods can you spot<http://www.macmove.com/mt/archives/000171.html> in the Olympics?

*** Push For Your iPod?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/15/#20040815bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Dave Winer<http://archive.scripting.com/2004/08/14#When:3:25:43PMhttp://archive.scripting.com/2004/08/14#When:3:25:43PM> wants fresh content off the Internet onto his iPod everytime he does a sync. Don't you want too?

[Wintel]

*** Is Microsoft's Firewall Secure?
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117380,00.asp>
by Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
While the firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2 is an improvement, it falls short of the standard of protection expected of commercial firewalls, according to some industry observers.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** Blog Interrupted
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54736-2004Aug10.html>
by April Witt, Washington Post
When Jessica Cutler put her dirty secrets on the web, she lost her job, signed a book deal, posed for Playboy -- and raised a ton of questions about where America is headed.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Mentor Of Singapore
<http://www.philstar.com/philstar/News200408152604.htm>
by Babe Romualdez, Philippine Star
Singapore became the phenomenon that it is today because of the discipline and the sacrifices endured by its people in the 60s and 70s under Lee Kuan Yew.

[Entertainment]

*** From Bumboat Rides To Chicken Curry In Singapore
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/815677.cms>
by Times Of India
There's just so much to do in this magical city whose gentle rhythms rhyme beneath.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.