[MyAppleMenu] Aug 5, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 5 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, August 5, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Apple Fans Pull For Jobs
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64457,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3>
by Leander Kahney, Wired News
News of Steve Jobs' cancer operation has Mac news sites seeing record traffic, forums are bulging with unprecendented number of psotings, and Apple is being swamped with messages of sympathy.

[News]

*** Apple Aims At 'Access For All'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9343>
by Macworld UK
Apple has published extensive documentation to encourage developers to add Universal Access features to applications.

*** Linux Surpasses Mac As No. 2 Desktop OS
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/04/linux>
by MacMinute
"This is the year that Linux overtakes the Mac on the desktop, and maybe my laptop will help accelerate that," Martin Fink, HP's vice president of Linux, said at the LinuxWorld Conference and Expo during a keynote speech. However, industry research firm IDC said it believes that this has already happened.

*** Apple's SAN File System Turns Heads
<http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci996860,00.html>
by Jo Maitland, SearchStorage.com
Apple plans to undo the notion of expensive storage software with the launch of its Xsan SAN file system this fall, for just $999.

*** E-Data Settles With Apple, Sues 14 US Companies
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/08/04/edata/?lsrc=mcrss-0804>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
E-Data said that it has reached "a worldwide agreement for past and future royalties" with Apple for a license. The patent covers the downloading and recording of information, such as music, from a computer onto a tangible object, such as CDs, DVDs, and MP3 players."

[Opinion]

*** Apple AirTunes And AirPort Express
<http://www.ernietheattorney.net/ernie_the_attorney/2004/08/apple_airtunes_.html>
by Ernie Svenson
It was too hard before so we never used the stereo. Now that it's easy we listen to music almost all the time. Nice.

*** Apple, If You Remove A Software Update, Explain
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040805013220228>
by MacFixIt
Users who have already installed the update have a right to know why the software is no longer available, whether or not it's safe to use, adn when to expect a "fixed" version.

*** Apple And Motorola: A Smart Duet
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2004/tc2004085_7371_tc056.htm>
by Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek
By agreeing to let the cell-phone maker put iTunes on certain models, Apple gets to test a new market for its music downloads.

*** Apple, RealNetworks Live In Never Never Land
<http://www.technewsworld.com/story/35545.html>
by Jon Newton, TechNewsWorld

*** The Real Reason Apple's Mad About "Harmony"
<Http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BADB244ED%2D1E24%2D4588%2DB63A%2DB2A0C1ACD695%7D&siteid=mktw&>
by John C. Dvorak, CBS MarketWatch
The grand scheme only works if the platform is secure.

[Review]

*** Print Explosion Deluxe
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=1944_0_1_0_M>
by Gary Coyne, Applelinks
Overall, the range of projects, the extra images, clip-art and fonts combined with the fact that Print Explosion Deluxe is only $10 more than Greeting Card Factory, makes this an easy choice fo the family.

*** Greeting Card Factory
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=1945_0_1_0_M>
by Gary Coyne, Applelinks
This is a program that you can give to someone who's intimidated by computers and to the person who's a geek, and they will both enjoy the process and the results.

*** DVD Studio Pro 3
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1631272,00.asp>
by PC Magazine
No other DVD authoring program in the $500 price class is capable of creating such stunning, highly creative DVDs as Apple's DVD Studio Pro 3.

*** Resetting The AirPort Express
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/archives/2004/08/000282.php>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** AirPort Express Frequently Asked Questions
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/archives/000281.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Wishlist: Finer Sound Control
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/05/#20040805bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Sometimes, I simply wish to be able to mute just a particular application on my Mac -- say, Safari, for example, when it is playing some Flash movies -- while continuing to play sounds from other applications such as iTunes and such.

*** Human Spam Filter
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/05/#20040805bg000004>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
I wonder if there are anyone out there who will want to employ me to be their human spam filter. I'll do nothing the whole day except to read e-mail and to manully tag junk e-mails and spam. Guaranteed 100 percent accuracy only after, say, 1 week of training.

But seriously, folks. For those who depend on the e-mail inbox for their livelihood, this seems to be a service that will be valuable. What do you think?

[Wintel]

*** The Decline And Fall Of The Wintel Empire
<http://news.com.com/The+decline+and+fall+of+the+Wintel+empire/2010-1006_3-5296717.html>
by Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com
Even with a well-coordinated, ypervigilant work force, Microsoft and Intel face the reality of dealing with three- and four-front wars.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Delete: Bathwater. Undelete: Baby.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/technology/circuits/05filt.html?ex=1249358400&#38;en=e416028c36557c8a&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Katie Hafner, New York Times
Filters can also create more work, requiring constant vigilance and frequent tuning in order to teach the software to recognize certain types of junk.

[Linux]

*** IBM Says It Won't Assert Patents Against Linux Kernel
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/04/HNdonofirokeynote_1.html>
by Ed Scannell, InfoWorld
Big Blue exec challenges IT to establish procedures to avoid infringement claims.

*** Munich's Linux Roll-Out Halted
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/04/HNmunichhalts_1.html>
by Matthew Broersma, InfoWorld
Patent fears lead to cancellation of migration project.

*** Battling With Microsoft On Foreign Soil
<http://news.com.com/Battling+with+Microsoft+on+foreign+soil/2008-7344_3-5296442.html>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
It's been one step forward, one step back for Matthew Szulik, chairman and chief executive of Red Hat.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** California's SUV Ban
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2104755/fr/rss/>
by Andy Bowers, Slate
The Golden State has outlawed big SUVs on many of its roads but doesn't seem to know it.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** CNA In Malaysia
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/05/#20040805bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Channel NewsAsia<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,4386,265268,00.html?> is now available on pay TV over at Malaysia -- or, at least, will soon be, when MiTV launches.

Now, can we start to have Singapore newspapers avaialble freely in Malaysia, and vice-versa? In this day and age, isn't it still stupid to restrict the avaiability of newspaper from across the causeway?

*** Amazing Slow-News-Day
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/05/#20040805bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Straits Times' web server is down this morning -- at least from where I'm connecting from. So, maybe a little recommendation on one of my faovrite television programmes. (Yeah, I know, these two things have nothing to do with each other.)

If you haven't seen Amazing Race, it's high time you take a look. (It's on Wednesday nights, 8pm on AXN, and 10pm on Channel 5.) Last night's episode was one of the better ones so far this season -- exciting race and amazing sceneries.

Why can't any of our local television game show be of comparable quality?

[News]

*** Malaysia Wants To Work With Singapore's Incoming Leader To Settle Disputes
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/latest/story/0,4574,124669,00.html?>
by Business Times

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.