[MyAppleMenu] Apr 25, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 25 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, April 25, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Oh, Yeah, He Also Sells Computers
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/25/business/yourmoney/25jobs.html>
by John Markoff, New York Times
Will Apple eventually be overwhelmed by its bigger, better-heeled competitors? Thoughout the technology world, there seems to be a simple, uniform answer to that question: Never underestimate Steve Jobs.

[News]

*** Retail Tells Investors Apple Bites
<http://www.nypost.com/business/23130.htm>
by Tom Anderson, New York Post
Rebel Apple Computer, which cast itself as the foe of Big Brother in its famous "1984" ad spot during Super Bowl XVIII, has become the oppressor, say some Apple dealers.

*** Mac Wardriving
<http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/darktips/story/0,24330,2216770,00.html>
by Roman Loyola, TechTV
Find Wi-Fi hotspots with your PowerBook.

[Opinion]

*** You've Come A Long Way, Baby!
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/2352683158293348/>
by Gregory Han, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Sidetrack]

*** Handle Please
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/04/25/#20040425bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Am I doing too much Windows programming and reading too much news? The first thing that came to mind when I see the term HWMD<http://www.macnn.com/news/24404><http://www.macnn.com/news/24404>? Handle to Weapons of Mass Destruction. :-)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Top Stories]

*** Can The Technology Industry Grow Bigger, Not Just Older?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/25/business/yourmoney/25earn.html>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
There is a lively debate about what is really happening in the technology business, one that plays out daily in the stock market. And the signals are often confusing.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** The Issue That Never Went Away
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/25/opinion/25SALE.html>
by William Saletan, New York Times
An abortion ban isn't just a moral statement. It's a pledge to prosecute, and prosecution introduces a different kind of ugliness: the public investigation of personal tragedies. That's the ugliness that lies ahead. If Americans won't take that warning from today's marchers, maybe they'll take it from John Ashcroft.

[Life]

*** Writing For Godot
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-lahaye17apr25,1,5607721.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
by Nancy Shepherdson, Los Angeles Times
The Bible foretold it. The war in Iraq proves it. The end is near, says Christian activist and best-selling novelist Tim LaHaye, and he's writing as fast as he can.

*** A Daugher's Choice
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/04/25/a_daughters_choice/>
by Carolyn Hughes Crowley, Boston Globe
Last month's body-donation scare at UCLA hasn't made me regret my decision: I gave my dad's body to BU, and I'd do it again.

*** House Calls
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/04/25/house_calls/>
by Daniel McGinn, Boston Globe
Celebrating its 25th year, This Old House, produced in Boston, is drawing 4 million viewers a week. Sales at Home Depot are through the roof. So why, if our fathers and grandfathers were such handymen, are we so clumsy with a hammer and nails?

*** Designing By The Numbers
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28922-2004Apr20.html>
by Jill Hudson Neal, Washington Post
Simplicity can be complicated. Washington designer Darryl Carter uses a Capitol Hill loft to show how he achieves his easy, elegant style.

*** Close Encounters
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/25/magazine/25LIVES.html>
by Dan Barry, New York Times
We were just another family living on Long Island in the late 1960's, but we were also the family from another planet.

*** The (Not Easy) Building Of (Not Exactly) Lincoln Center For (Not) Manhattan
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/25/magazine/25BAM.html>
by James Traub, New York Times
Harvey Lichtenstein's grand finale.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** PM: Why No Handover Date Yet
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,247682,00.html?>
by Laurel Teo, Straits Times
There are serious reasons for not naming the date just yet.

[News]

*** Nicoll Highway Partially Reopened As Recovery Work Continues At Cave-In Site
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/81788/1/.html>
by Johnson Choo, Channel NewsAsia
At 2pm sharp, LTA removed the barriers along Nicoll Highway from Mountbatten Road, stretching right up to the slip road going into Stadium Drive.

*** Work On All Circle Line Construction Sites Suspended For Safety Review
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/81786/1/.html>
by Joanne Leow, Channel NewsAsia

*** Right Passenger, Wrong Passport
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,247677,00.html?>
by David Boey, Straits Times
A journalist on his way to a conference in Kuala Lumpur got through all the checks at Changi Airport and boarded his flight only to discover he had done so with a friend's passport.

*** Singapore Premier Confirms Power Handover To Kuan Yew's Son This Year
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/4/25/latest/17075Singapore&sec=latest>
by Associated Press
Singapore's prime minister says he'll hand over his duties this year to the son of Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew -- but he wouldn't give a date for the event, news reports said Sunday.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.