[MyAppleMenu] Friday, Sep 5, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 5 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Sep 5, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Reveals G5 Teething Problems (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6840>
Apple has published documents detailing a series of support issues affecting G5 Power Macs, chiefly confirming that no version of Mac OS X Server is presently supported on the machines.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Corporate Briefing (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=383>
Apple has managed to survive the downturn by using innovation.

eBay Mutes iTunes Song Auction (Evan Hansen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5071566.html>
eBay on Thursday canceled an auction that sought to resell a music download that was purchased through Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store, saying the attempted sale violated its listing policies.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Xcode: Apple's Answer To Visual Studio (Andrew Binstock, SD Times)
<http://www.sdtimes.com/cols/firstlook_085.htm>
I am impressed by how squarely Apple has attacked the problem of programmer productivity. Given the quality of these tools and Apple's choice to bundle them with the operating system, it is clear the company is doing some wonderful things to support its developers.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft To Help Design High School In Philadelphia (NEPA News)
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10115081&BRD=2212&PAG=461&dept_id=465812&rfi=6>
Extending its reach in public education, Microsoft Corp. said Thursday that it will help design a new $46 million public high school in Philadelphia that will embed computer technology everywhere from classrooms and administrative offices to the desk of the football coach.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
21st Century Cars Hit The Road (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2003/tc2003094_5514_tc127.htm>
>From on-board radar and Wi-Fi to electronic steering, amazing technologies already here or soon coming promise to create a new automotive era.

Singapore-Made OS Runs Windows, Palm, Linux Apps (John Liu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5071314.html>
Two Singaporean inventors who say they've created an operating system that can run programs that are written for Windows, Linux and Palm will formally launch the product this month.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
Why The WTO Is Going Nowhere (William Greider, The Nation)
<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030922&s=greider>
Why it's an inhospitable time to be selling the wonders of globalization.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Animal-Human SARS Link Found (Kirsten Philipkoski, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,60295,00.html>
With SARS still circulating through exotic animals in Chinese markets, China might have lifted its ban on the sale of the animals too soon, according to new research.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
Keepers Of The Magic Kingdom (Adam Davidson, LA Weekly)
<http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/42/features-davidson.php>
Watch closely among Disneyland's tourists and you might spot the Disneyana people, protecting Walt's vision and living most of their waking lives in the happiest place on Earth.

What About Me? (Robert Fulford, National Post)
<http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary/story.html?id=53ED3307-A057-478A-B458-7EFBDDE05950>
Two authors under one roof almost invariably creates professional envy.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Group: Singapore Likes Its Censor Laws (Alexa Olesen, Associated Press)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24214-2003Sep4.html>
Singaporeans want a little more sex and lot less violence in the arts but are largely content with their notoriously conservative censors.

Surprise Halt To Increases In Sports Fees (Lydia Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,208239,00.html?>
Govt overturns decision announced this week to raise charges at Sports Council facilities, pledges to take care with hikes.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.