[MyAppleMenu] Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 30 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
NoteTaker 1.6 Brings Web Page Browsing, More (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/09/30/notetaker>

Apple Named Among Top 10 Most Innovative Companies (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/09/30/innovative/index.php?redirect=1064937561000>
Apple has been named as one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in a new report released by Cheskin, a consulting and research firm, and Fitch Worldwide a brand and design company.

Adobe CEO: Relationship With Apple, Jobs Is Great (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/09/30/adobeapple>

Adobe's PDF-Everywhere Strategy (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2008-1012-5083805.html>
Adobe Systems wants to put more than a few pulp mills out of business.

Apple's New Bid For Insane Greatness (Robyn Weisman, E-Commerce Times)
<http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/31705.html>
"Apple's position as the front-runner in music downloads depends utterly on its ability to offer the best and hottest music player on the market."

The Level Of Discourse Continues To Slide (John Schwartz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/28/weekinreview/28SCHW.html>
Is there anything so deadening to the soul as a PowerPoint presentation?

>From NEXTSTEP To Now: An Interview WIth launchBar's Norbert Heger (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/developer/2003/09/25/innovators.html>
LaunchBar allows a user to enter a range of abbreviations for any term. It analyzes the user's behavior and adapts rating criteria dynamically, so search results become more accurate as LaunchBar "learns" how to serve the user. Like so many good ideas, the concept for this software has been around for a while.

Profiles In Success: Hampton School District -- Building A City Of 21st Century Learners (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/hampton/>
"In my opinion, any school that has the chance to participate in a 1:1 student laptop program should jump on it."

Aladdin Offers StuffIt Standard 8.0 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/09/29/stuffit/>
The new version features faster compression, DropBox filters, access to newsgroup and Windows formats .yenc and .cab, and integrated HTML help.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Bad Handwriting And The Tablet PC (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3811>
I'm not wishing ill on Tablet PCs. But unless there's a potential for them to flourish outside of niche markets such as healthcare, I'd just as soon Apple not waste its time on them.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Apple's New PowerBook Shines (David Adams, OSNews.com)
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4696>

PhoneValet, Can You Get That? (Adam C. Engst, TidBITS)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07380>
If I had a job that revolved around the phone, particularly one that involved billing for call time, I'd consider PhoneValet an essential tool for conducting business. But despite the fact that I don't really need to track calls, and despite my problems with identifying incoming calls, I've become quite fond of PhoneValet, particularly the voice dialing feature.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (Kirk Hiner, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/thps4.shtml>
There's not enough game in here to make it interesting for those even slightly outside its strict target audience, and there's not enough new abilities in here to make it interesting for many who already own THPS2 or 3.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Software's Gentler Giant? (Jonathan Krim, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19728-2003Sep29.html>
Microsoft is used to winning; now CEO Steve Ballmer is trying to win it some friends.

Tablet PCs Finally Taking Off (Reuters)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60623,00.html>
After a slow start, tablet personal computers are starting to take off, fueled by Microsoft's release of its operating system Windows XP Tablet PC and manufacturers rolling out a wider variety of easier-to-use devices.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
Ten Technologies That Deserve To Die (Bruce Sterling, MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/Sterling1003.asp>
Some technologies are so blatantly obnoxious that the human race would rejoice if they were summarily executed.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
GPS Users Still Lost In The Woods (James Bernard Frost, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60379,00.html>
It seems GPS technology is making many hikers and backpackers feel overconfident in their backwoods skills.

Use Of Subpoenas To Name File Sharers Criticized (Frank Ahrens, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19721-2003Sep29.html>
The music industry's ability to use subpoenas to learn the names of people who allegedly pirate songs over the Internet is coming under increasing fire from civil liberties groups and members of Congress concerned at how the power is being employed to launch a broad legal attack on file sharing.

IT Innovation Interruptus (Thomas Hoffman, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/management/story/0,10801,85310,00.html?SKC=home85310>
Several years of budget cuts have unplugged many innovative IT projects. But some pockets of creativity remain.

IBM Serves Up Virtual Computing (Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-7339_3-5083775.html>
In its latest step toward utility computing, Big Blue is offering to let customers use the Internet to tap into the power of server computers that run a variety of operating systems.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
Where's Schwarzenegger's Self-Respect? (Richard Cohen, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19961-2003Sep29.html>
As role models, the current stars are a total failure.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
E-Filing? It's More Paperwork, More Cost (Selina Lum and Karen Ho, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,212216,00.html?>
Courts to slash e-filing fees after survey shows up variety of problems; even judges don't find system easy to use.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Malaysia's Senai Airport Eyes Singapore's Cargo Business (Joseph Edwin, Dow Jones)
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/030929/15/3ek2f.html>
Malaysia's Senai Airport in southern Johor state expects to lure 20% of air cargo business away from Singapore's Changi Airport over the next 10 years, in addition to targeting a fivefold increase in passenger traffic over the next five to seven years.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.