[MyAppleMenu] Saturday, Oct 25, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 25 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Oct 25, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Gadgets We Love: iPod (Dennis Kneale, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2003/1110/156.html>
Like drivers of vintage Corvettes who stop at the same traffic light and give each other a smug thumbs-up, iPod users on the New York subway eye one another approvingly, spotting the distinctive white and tangle-prone earphones that mark another member of the club. Our faces share the same beatific look, as we get lost in sound, gleefully embracing technology that actually delivers.

A Look At Mac OS X 10.3 'Panther' (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=267>
Panther is by far the best version of Mac OS X ever released. It's solid, it's fast, and it's smart; you'd have to be crazy not to upgrade.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
County Leaders Seek To Create Laptop Computer Initiative For Area's Schools (Erik Arvidson, North Adams Transcript)
<http://www.thetranscript.com/Stories/0,1413,103~9054~1722622,00.html>
At a time when the Berkshires are attracting apple pickers galore, local civic and educational leaders have their sights set on a different kind of Apple: a $1,100 laptop that could help local students reach their full potential.

Panther Events Kick-Off In New York (David Schloss, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/24/panthereventny/index.php?redirect=1067034674000>

Palo Alto Apple Store Launches Panther (David Read, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/24/panthereventca/index.php?redirect=1067034671000>

Dropped iPod Bounces Back (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7151>
Apple's market-leading iPod MP3 player offers another hidden feature -- robustness -- but Macworld doesn't advise readers to test this out.

Scientific Computing: Apple's Next Big Leap? (Robert McMillan, IDG News Service)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/24/scientific/index.php?redirect=1067027423000>
"Really, for the first time in this industry, you have a computer that can do all the scientific applications, and you can run Microsoft Office."

Apple's 'Panther' Set To Prowl (Ina Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5096847.html>
Microsoft's next version of Windows is not expected for a couple years, but Apple Computer's latest operating system arrives Friday night--the company's fourth OS release in less than four years.

Apple To Open New Retail Stores November 1 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/10/24/applestores>
The stores are located at The Village at Corte Madera in Corte Madera, California, and the Promenade Shopping Center in Marlton, New Jersey.

Apple Releases New iPod Software For Panther (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/10/24/ipodsoftware>
Apple has released iPod Software 1.3.1, which improves compatibility between Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and iPods without dock connectors.

Sun Co-Founder, Bill Joy, Says Apple OS Superior To Microsoft Windows -- Derides Windows For Poor Architecture (Architosh)
<http://www.architosh.com/news/2003-10/2003c-1024-joy.phtml>

Panther Unleashed Into The Wild (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/10/24/panther>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
User, Music Universe Expanding For iTunes (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001774202_ptmacc25.html>

Apple Knowledge Navigator Revisited (Jon Udell)
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2003/10/23.html#a831>
Apple's vision, in any case, was and is spot on. I wonder how much closer to reality it will be in another fifteen years.

Tales From The Night Of Panther (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3920>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Young On The Nose (David Shaw, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-matters22oct22,1,2923936.column?coll=la-headlines-food>
Restaurants are ceremoniously pairing drinks (vintage juice, flavored milk) with kids' meals.

Ten Things I Dig About Xcode (James Duncan Davidson, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/10/24/panther.html>
In the short amount of time that I've played with Xcode so far, these are the things that I've found myself really digging about it.

Creating Easy-To-Deploy Unix Applications For OS X (Mark Roseman, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/10/24/unixapps.html>
With OS X's Unix foundations came the promise of access to thousands of Unix applications for Mac users. But if those applications are hard to install, configure, and use, everyone loses.

Troubleshooting Mac OS X 10.3: Palm Confirms That Desktop Software 4.1 Problem; Default Folder X Workarounds (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20031024072942809>

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Hand-Size Windows PCs WIthin Your Grasp (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-5097013.html>
Start-up Antelope Technologies plans to release next month a Windows XP computer that fits into a person's hand.

Flea Bugs Windows Users (John Leyden, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/33569.html>
A new virus called Flea is on the loose. The Visual Basic Script worm disguises itself as the 'signature file' in HTML-formatted mail.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
How The Web Edits News (Steven Johnson, Discover)
<http://www.discover.com/issues/nov-03/departments/tech/>
A new headline service lets the readers collectively decide what's important.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Military Releases RFID Policy (Matthew French, Federal Computer Week)
<http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/1020/web-rfid-10-24-03.asp>

Don't Fence Me In (Ephraim Schwartz, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/24/42OPreality_1.html>
Employees may well find new meaning in the old-west song thanks to wireless innovations.

Microsoft, SuSE Linux Unwrap Messaging Servers (Joris Evers and Ed Scannell, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/24/42NNexchange_1.html>
With cost pressures at the front of enterprise customers' minds, Microsoft and SuSE Linux have aimed their new messaging servers at aiding the corporate bottom line.

IT On $5 A Day (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/reports/SRitbudget.html>
>From refurbished hardware and eBay deals to do-it-yourself setups, everything you need to know about buying equipment on the cheap.

Google To Buy Primedia Ad Service (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1024_3-5096734.html>
Internet search engine Google will buy Primedia's Sprinks online ad service for an undisclosed amount, acquiring one of its biggest competitors for content-based online advertising.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
The Writing Life (Diane Middlebrook, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6048-2003Oct23.html>
Diane Middlebrook, the biographer of Anne Sexton, Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath, has advice for her colleagues: Dream on.

The Opt-Out Revolution (Lisa Belkin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/26/magazine/26WOMEN.html>
Many high-powered women today don't ever hit the glass ceiling, choosing to leave the workplace for motherhood. Is this the failure of one movement or the beginning of another?

The Power Of 1 (Marilyn Gardner, Christian Science Monitor)
<http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1015/p11s02-lihc.html>
About one-fourth of Americans now live alone. As their numbers grow, these singles are becoming a significant cultural and economic force.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Dr M: Singapore's Friend Or Foe? (Lydia Lim and Laurel Teo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,216423,00.html?>
While the personality of the man at the top can affect the tenor of bilateral relations, the extent to which a Malaysian premier can shape relations with Singapore depends more on domestic political factors, particularly his standing within his own party and among his constituents.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
AirAsia Backs Down On Bus Plan To Senai (Brendan Pereira, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,4386,216411,00.html>
It says it will seriously consider demand that it serve Singaporeans out of airports in the Republic.

Three Hurdles That DPM Lee Faces (Chua Mui Hoong, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,216442,00.html?>
What's next for PM Goh and Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew when DPM Lee becomes PM?

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.