[MyAppleMenu] Saturday, Oct 11, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 11 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Oct 11, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Ten Things I Dig About Panther (James Duncan Davidson, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/10/10/panther.html>
Yes, it's worth the price. I've already got my copy on order. Now, if      you'll pardon me, I've got a book to finish up.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Homecoming For Notebook PCs (Rex Crum, CBS MarketWatch)
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story.asp?source=blq/yhoo&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo&guid=%7BB9BD7322%2D6754%2D4C55%2D945D%2DE7706A799F5A%7D>
In January, when Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs declared 2003 the "year of the notebook," it sounded like another bit of his traditional brash salesmanship. But it seems he was right.

Editing "Intolerable Cruelty" (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/film/coen/>
"Looking at the Macs, it looks like two guys with two computers. It doesn't look like something that could cut a whole movie."

Apple To Open Marlton, NJ Store Next Month (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/10/10/applestore>

iPod Chipmaker Hit By Legal Action (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7057>
UK iPod chipmaker Wolfson Microelectronics  has been hit with legal action as the company prepares to float on London's stock exchange next week.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
New Apple Stores Bear Fruit For Aficionados (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001763388_ptmacc11.html>
Sure, they could go to other resellers, but there's something shrinelike about the Apple Store, with its simple design and wide open spaces.

A Migration Project Changes Everything (Tom Yager, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/10/40OPcurve_1.html>
Wholesale Mac migration yields initial disruption, but ultimate productivity payoff.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
On Using An iPod Whilst Motoring In AN Automobile (Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/rantsandraves/2003/20031010.shtml>
It's not shipping yet but how cool does that sound? Controlling the 'Pod from the steering wheel car stereo controls! Whoo-EEE!

iBlog Irritations (Wendi Dunlap-Simpson)
<http://slumberland.org/C1923976956/E300206092/index.html>
These issues do concern me, and make me reluctant to recommend iBlog at the moment or to be sure that it is a permanent solution for me.

Apple iPod (Julian Prokaza, vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/Products/Hardware/1144222>
Apple's new iPod is more of a slight redesign than a complete overhaul but the early signs are that the new model is every bit as good as the last.

Macs Vs PCs (Dan Kaufman, Sydney Morning Herald)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/10/1065676145670.html>
The Mac won primarily because of its design and if it had kept its lead in usability, the margin would have been greater.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
EU Sets Microsoft Antitrust Hearing (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5089451.html>
The European Commission will conduct an oral hearing in the Microsoft antitrust case on Nov. 12 that may last two or three days, people familiar with the situation said Friday.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
Note To Sony: Skip iPod Knockoff (Peter Rojas, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60767,00.html>
There probably isn't a whole lot the electronics giant can do now to unseat the iPod, but Sony does have a chance to leapfrog competitors in the next wave of entertainment gadgets: personal video players.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
E-Mail Filters Not Fooled By Signed Spam (Robert Lemos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5089977.html>
Bulk e-mailers are digitally signing unsolicited messages in hopes of bypassing popular filtering programs, but updated software has been modified to detect the trick, experts said this week.

Cable Firms Bet On Broadband Speed, Not Price (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1034_3-5089322.html>
Cable companies are betting raw speed will help them win the broadband race, but they may be backing the wrong horse.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
Dominance And Its Dilemmas (Noam Chomsky, Boston Review)
<http://bostonreview.net/BR28.5/chomsky.html>
The Bush administration's imperial grand strategy.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
Singapore Eases The Commute (Elliott Hester, Dallas Morning News)
<http://www.dallasnews.com/travel/rest/stories/101203dntrahester.4203c.html>
Getting around is one of Singapore's primary attractions.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions