[MyAppleMenu] Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 25 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Experiencing Problems With iTunes Music Store (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/22205>

Micromat Releases TechTool Pro 4 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/11/25/ttp4>

Apple 'Loses' US$35.75 Million Michigan School Contract To Hewlett-Packard (MacDailyNews)
<http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P2232_0_1_0_C>
Cheapest bids win, but Michigan students are the losers.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Rebuttal TO Paul Thurott (Dan Pouliot)
<http://www.xvsxp.com/articles/031124-thurott.shtml>
Perhaps Longhorn really is technically superior to Panther, but it would take more to substantiate such a claim than to merely cite Longhorn's task-based file system.

The Future Of Transparent Computing: A Comdex Wrap-Up (Rob Enderle, TechNewsWorld)
<http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32239.html>
The death of Sun, Apple and Novell.

Cubing The Power Mac G5 (MacSlash)
<http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/24/1350214>
Let me explain the lack of market for the Cube and why it's destined to fail.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Shootout At The Disk Repair Corral (David Shayer, TidBITS)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07451>
I still think the most important data protection utility you should own is a backup program. But sometimes a good disk repair program can save the day by repairing minor damage quickly so you don't have to run through the time-consuming process of reinitializing your hard disk and restoring from backup.

Belkin Voice Recorder For iPod (Tom Robinson, MacTeens)
<http://macteens.com/reviews_more.php?id=393_0_2_0_C>
If you need something to record voice memos, lectures, interviews, or speeches and you already own a 3rd generation iPod then the Belkin Voice Recorder is a great solution. If you are looking for some way to record concerts or any live music forget about it.

iLike iComic (Chris Adamson, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3999>
Not only that, it's really really good.

On Safari (Matt Simpson)
<http://www.geekpatrol.ca/archives/2003/11/24/onsafari.php>
>From a UI standpoint it still leaves much to be desired -- it's a one point oh product and it shows.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Can Microsoft's 'Longhorn' Pull It Off? (Steve Gillmor, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1395477,00.asp>
Microsoft will have to do better than it's done so far in convincing its developer constituency that the wait will be worthwhile.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
A 20-Year Plague (Robert Lemos, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2009-7349_3-5111410.html>
Two decades and counting, the technology industry has yet to find a blanket solution to the ever-growing list of viruses and worms that constitute the greatest risk to computers on the Internet.

The Threat to Universal Internet Connectivity (David L. margullus, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/21/46FEtrouble_1.html>
Can -- and should -- blockers, spammers, and domain name overlords be stopped?

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Blackouts Showed Internet's Weak Spots (Matt Loney, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39118104,00.htm>
The summer's blackouts were widely thought not to have affected the Internet, but new research has highlighted weak spots in the infrastructure.

Talking Newspapers Get Human 'Voice' (Geoff Adams-Spink, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3233340.stm>
Partially-sighted and blind people will be able to get time-sensitive information from newspapers and magazines from a device which reads to them, instead of relying on recoded tapes.

The Lines Are Busy As Cellphone Clients Switch (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/25/technology/25phone.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1069768057-TgFQZipuU5AhAW6IqDMqWg>
After a long wait, new rules that allow people to change mobile phone companies while keeping their numbers sent a surge of customers into cellphone stores around the country yesterday, with some stores seeing more than a tripling of traffic.

Linux To Blossom On Desktop (Barbara Gengler, The Australian)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,7942379%5E24170%5E%5Enbv%5E24169-24169,00.html>
The Open Source Development Lab, a consortium that employs Linux leader Linus Torvalds, among others, intends to set up a committee early next year to plan its work on desktop Linux.

Major Vendors To Push Linux To The Desktop (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/24/46NNdesktop_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/24/46NNdesktop_1.html>
IBM, HP, Dell, Novell try to edge in while industry waits for Longhorn.

Geeks Are Not As Outnumbered As They Believe (Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica)
<http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1069705638.html>
A recent Pew Research study shows that a surprisingly-high percentage -- 31% -- of U.S. residents are technically savvy.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
US Is Making Enemies In All The Wrong Places (Tom Plate, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,221868,00.html?>
The growing complaints about US diplomacy these days seem more serious than sophomoric.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Suzhou: City Of Canals, Semiconductors And Hidden Radios (Linda Baker, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/11/24/radio_china/index_np.html>
Why is the garden city of China a hotbed of amateur radio direction finders?

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
At Ground Zero, A Stream Of Commuters And Tears (Michael Luo, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/25/nyregion/25PATH.html>
Yesterday, on a morning that proved at once painful and uplifting, downtown workers streamed into the heart of the former World Trade Center site for its first rush hour since the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001.

A Scholar Who Gives 'Harry' The Evil Eye (Philip Kennicott, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3784-2003Nov21.html>
Children read for the same reasons adults do: to escape. Why is it that some adults want to drag them back to their own world of fears and discord?

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Think Centre Questions Ban On March (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,221795,00.html?>
THE activist group Think Centre has asked the Government if it has a policy against events promoting human rights in the wake of a recent ban on a proposed march meant to mark International Day Against Violence Against Women today.

Reclamation Issue: KL, Singapore Ready With List Of Experts (Sim Leoi Leoi, The Star)
<http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2003/11/25/nation/6780793&sec=nation>
Malaysia and Singapore are ready with their list of independent experts for the panel to be established under the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (Itlos) order to study the effects of the republic's reclamation projects in the Johor Straits.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.