[MyAppleMenu] Monday, Nov 10, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 10 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Nov 10, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Mac OS X v10.3.1 Improves FileVault, FireWire 800, More (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/11/10/1031/index.php?redirect=1068476296000>
"The 10.3.1 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: FileVault, Printing, WebDav, and FireWire 800 drives. This update also includes the latest Security Updates," said Apple.

'Fastest Computer' TV Advert Banned (Irish Examiner)
<http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/2003/11/10/story120888.html>
Computer giant Apple has been banned by British Independent Television Commission, an advertising watchdog, from claiming its latest product as "the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer."

The 99&cent; Solution: Steve Jobs' Music Store Showed Foot-Dragging Record Labels And Runaway Music Pirates That There Was A Third Way (Chris Taylor, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/2003/inventions/invmusic.html>
Apple's iTunes Music Store is Time's Coolest Invention of 2003.

How You Benefit From Panther (Steve Neiderhauser)
<http://homepage.mac.com/sneiderhauser/panther.html>
I don't know where Apple's stock price will be next year, however, I do know that when you buy an Apple Computer you'll receive dividends for years to come. Apple's design philosophy creates options that makes your life easier.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
iTunes 'Not Affecting LimeWire Downloads' (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7246>
Peer-to-peer file-sharing service LimeWire has seen no decline in the number of downloads it serves since the debut of mass-market music download services, said company chief operating officer Greg Bildson.

FileMaker Donations Solution Ships (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/11/10/filemaker>
FileMaker today announced that it is shipping FileMaker Donations, a fundraising and donor management application that helps charitable organizations and other non-profits manage a broad range of donar and fund raising information.

Iomega Plans 35GB Removable Storage In 2004 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/11/10/iomega/index.php?redirect=1068445845000>

Apple Store Offers iTunes Music Store Gift Certificates (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/21963>

Apple's Country Manager Jack Tong Shakes Things Up In Taiwan (Marie Feliciano, Taiwan News)
<http://www.etaiwannews.com/Business/2003/11/10/1068429044.htm>
"Let's face it. We've got the goods. This is why I am excited about our Taiwan prospects. Apple used to occupy a niche market. We used to be a minority. That's about to change."

Zach and Wen Schieffelin: Thrill Ride (David Levy, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/vespa/>
"You know, the Vespa has always been a symbol of freedom. You didn't have to be a mechanic, you didn't have to be a master of contemporary technology to use it. You just got on and drove it. And that same ease and elegance is what appelas to us in the Mac."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
In Some Cases, Openness May Be Moot Issue (Paul Andrews, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001787171_paul10.html>
Wherever the future takes us, one thing is certain: When it comes to digital content, there's no such thing as an open-and-shut case.

Apple And Microsoft: The Great Role Reversal (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2003/11/206.htm#role>
In its unaccustomed position as a majority player, is Apple being a good citizen?

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Time To Switch To Panther? Almost (Stephan Somogyi, ZDNet)
<http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7297_16-5104385.html?tag=adss>
Do I regret the upgrade so far? Nope. Would I switch back to Jaguar full time? No, but I do wish Apple would spend more effort getting critical tools like DiskWarrior ready on day one so I don't have to boot back into Jaguar to do regular disk maintenance.

Hands On With The Power Mac Dual 2GHz G (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/11/09/powermacg5/index.php?redirect=1068446838000>
The Power Mac G5 has refocused attention on Apple as a viable option in the computer wars. IBM and Apple have done a great job, and users can take advantage of it right now.

7 Mac OS X System Utilities Compared (Charles W. Moore, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/03/1110.html>

Power Mac Is Pretty On The Inside (Hiawatha Bray, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2003/11/10/power_mac_is_pretty_on_the_inside/>
With its spectacular performance, Apple could have built the G5 to look like an old milk crate and still have sold a few million of them.

Apple-Picking Time In PC Land (Simson Garfinkel, MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/garfinkel1103.asp?p=1>
Macintosh network better with PCs than PCs do! That's my conclusion after junking my Windows laptop and getting an Apple PowerBook G4.

Burning Monkey Mahjong Solitaire (Kirk Hiner, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=70_0_1_0_M>
Freeverse has again taken a classic game and updated it just enough of their personality to give it a bit more life. There's nothing here to revolutionize the game, but it's Mahjong. It doesn't need to be revolutionized.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Moves Into Chip World WIth Xbox (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5104656.html>
Microsoft will more actively participate in the design of the brains for the next version of its Xbox gaming console, tentatively called Xbox Next.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
Plan For UN To Run Internet 'Will Be Shelved' (Frances Williams, Financial Times)
<http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1066565743698>
An attempt by developing countries to put management of the internet under United Nations auspices is likely to be shelved at next month's world information summit in Geneva -- but the issue is now firmly on the international agenda, summit sources say.

Leader Of The Free World (Gary Rivlin, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.11/linus.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=>
How Linus Torvalds became benevolent dictator of Planet Linux, the biggest collaborative project in history.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Computer Viruses Now 20 Years Old (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3257165.stm>
This week computer viruses celebrate 20 years of causing trouble and strife to all types of computer users.

Managing Security Means Locking The Back Door, Too (Wayne Rash, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/07/44secadvise_1.html>
Your greatest vulnerability may not be the obvious Web server, but your sales staff's laptops.

Should We Be Scared? (Ian Sample, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1078151,00.html>
We've all read the warnings about 'killer nanobots' and 'grey goo'. But how seriously should we take the hype about nanotechnology?

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
The Age Of Liberty (William Safire, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/opinion/10SAFI.html>
Invest a half-hour in reading this moving exposition of the noble goal of American foreign policy. And note the subtlety in Bush's concluding reference to the deity in underscoring our opportunity in this age of liberty.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Striking Notes Of Progress On The World's Tiniest Guitar (George Johnson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/09/weekinreview/09JOHN.html>
Cornell University physicists reported last week that they had used a laser beam to pluck the strings of an invisibly tiny silicon guitar just 10 millionths of a meter long.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
But Seriously, Folks (Linton Weeks, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14027-2003Nov7.html>
Comedian Steve Martin's new novel is no joke.

A Job With Plenty Of Downtime (Peter Carlson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17386-2003Nov8.html>
For quarterbacks, getting sacked is all in a day's work.

Newspaper War, Waged A Character At A Time (Joseph Berger, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/nyregion/10CHIN.html?8hpib>
Although some of the city's 300 ethnic newspapers may have a languid, less-than-fresh feel, the Chinese press is aggressive. And the competition is about to get more cutthroat.

Songs Of Ourselves (Christine Kenneally, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2003/11/09/songs_of_ourselves/>
New research suggests that we like music that sounds just like us.

Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up: Prizing A Personal Voice Even If It Hurts (John Rockwell, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/07/arts/music/07REVE.html>
Better a personal voice than an earnest student of convention. And if you make some people mad, and you will, all the better.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Expressions
-------------------------------
Hunting Knife (Karuki Murakami, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?031117fi_fiction>
Two rafts were anchored offshore like twin islands. They were the perfect distance to swim to from the beach -- exactly fifty strokes out to one of them, then thirty strokes from one to the other. About fourteen feet square, each raft had a metal ladder, and a carpet of artificial grass covering its surface. The water, ten or twelve feet deep at this point, was so transparent you could follow the chains attached to the rafts all the way down to the concrete anchors at the bottom. The swimming area was enclosed by a coral reef, and there were hardly any waves, so the rafts barely bobbed in the water. They seemed resigned to being anchored in that spot with the intense sun beating down on them day after day.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Not Singaporean. Not Eligible (Joy Frances, Today)
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/9638.asp>
They live, work and pay taxes here, but their children do not have the same privileges as Singaporeans. Non-Singaporean children in international schools here -- no matter how young -- must pay adult fares on public transport and some parents are fed up.

Salaries In Singapore Likely To Increase By 2.9% In 2004: Mercer Report (Khairuman Lani, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/corporatenews/view/56427/1/.html>
Salaries in Singapore are likely to increase by 2.9 per cent and inflation by 1.3 per cent next year, according to a new study by Mercer Human Resource Consulting published on Monday.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Trying Out Gadgets Against Terrorism (Holland Sentinel)
<http://www.thehollandsentinel.net/stories/110903/bus_110903077.shtml>
Singapore is trying to employ commercially available gadgets in its efforts to thwart terrorism.

Pictures A Feasible Option For MRT Signs (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,219165,00.html?>
Transport operators may want to consider using icons instead of words for direction signs in MRT stations, Deputy Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has suggested.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.