[MyAppleMenu] Sunday, Nov 30, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 30 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Nov 30, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
The Guts Of A New Machine (Rob Walker, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/30/magazine/30IPOD.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5062&en=6cc3b984324f9225&ex=1070773200&partner=GOOGLE>
The iPod became an instant classic by combining high design and powerful technology. But as Apple has learned before, that formula alone doesn't keep you on top.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Free Music (Eugene Wee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/click/story/0,4386,222734,00.html>
While legal downloads are selling well, Internet music merchants are not making money.

The Story Of An IT Legend (Christoph Dernbach, South Africa Independent)
<http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=115&art_id=qw1070174523891B213&set_id=1>
The scene is Santa Clara Valley, California, in 1976. Two Steves are busy at work in the garage. Their goal: the world's first personal computer.

Looking To Play A Different Tune (Jon Healey, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-download30nov30,1,7189556.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
As the number of online music stores grows, carving out their own niches may get tougher.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Tools And Toys To Slaver Over (Chris White, Computerworld New Zealand)
<http://www.computerworld.co.nz/cw.nsf/UNID/9D2903AC22508E88CC256DEA00105B62?OpenDocument>
While I was configuring my partner's new iBook G4 the other day, I was musing over the list of software that just had to be installed on her laptop to get it up and running.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Worms Turn On Military Networks (Mickey McCarter, Military Information Technology)
<http://www.mit-kmi.com/articles.cfm?DocID=286>
A wave of destructive worms in recent months has focused attention on the potential vulnerability of military networks to malicious computer attacks.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Behind The Indian Outsoucring Craze (McKinsey Quarterly, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2030-1011_3-5111455.html>

Small Town Businesses Join Competitors In Internet Sales (Associated Press)
<http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2003/11/30/news/regional/a9a40a7df0f5723e86256dee00126977.txt>
Retailers in small towns are beginning to feel the effects of Internet shopping as high speed connections find their way to rural areas.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
The Productivity Paradox (Stephen S. Roach, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/30/opinion/30ROAC.html>
We aren't working smarter, we're working harder.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Does Race Exist? (Michael J. Bamshad and Steve E. Olson, Scientific American)
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=00055DC8-3BAA-1FA8-BBAA83414B7F0000>
If races are defined as genetically discrete groups, no. But researchers can use some genetic information to group individuals into clusters with medical relevance.

Color Cognition (Dirk Olin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/30/magazine/30CRASH.html>
Though science and anthropology have provided significant support for the proposition that color perception is basically identical across societies, recent studies have found evidence that we also see our rainbows through cultural lenses.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
Shame Of The City: Homeless Island (Kevin Fagan, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/11/30/MNG263BHKR1.DTL>
The live -- and die -- on a traffic island in the middle of a busy downtown street, surviving by panhandling drivers or turning tricks.

Another Cold One (Jason Wilson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14232-2003Nov25.html>
For two centuries, the Old Farmer's Almanac has been offering long-range weather predictions. What is it saying about this winter in Washington? Guess. But before you break out the electric blanket, you might want to consider: Are its forecasting methods cloudy or clear?

Building A Better Bra Shop (Hope Reeves, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/30/magazine/30PROCESS.html>
A lingerie giant enlists a design firm to figure out a way to make buying bras less of a nightmare.

The Beast Of Queens (Hugo Lindgren, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/30/magazine/30WWLN.html>
If it's just about getting to the airport, do looks matter?

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions