[MyAppleMenu] May 18, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 18 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, May 18, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
The Mac That Lego Built (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3034177.stm>
Daniele Procida could not bear to see a dead Mac thrown away -- so he reconstructed it using Lego bricks pinched from his sons.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Hundreds Welcome Apple Store In Honolulu (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/05/17/honolulu/>

Aloha From THe Honolulu Apple Store (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/05/17/hawaii>

Mozilla Firebird Web Browser Released For Mac OS X (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/05/17/mozilla>
Mozilla.org has released Firebird 0.6 (formerly Phoenix), a redesign of Mozilla's Web browser.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Did Apple Goof With Their Music Store Commerical? (Fred "zAmboni" Locklear, Ars Technica)
<http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1053238915.html>
I did a doubletake when I looked up and see what looked like a 10-12 year old kid singing the chorus to "The Real Slim Shady" from Eminem.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
As Google Goes, So Goes The Nation (Geoffrey Nunberg, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/18/weekinreview/18NUNB.html>
The outcomes of Google's popularity contests can be useful to know, but it's a mistake to believe they reflect the consensus of the "Internet community," whatever that might be, or to think of the Web as a single vast colloquy.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
War Hogs (Dave Barry, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57802-2003May15.html>
Because the United States Senate is not a bunch of "yes persons" who "rubber-stamp" every bill that comes down the pike. And so the Senate, exercising its constitutional responsibility, took a hard look at the bill to pay for the war in Iraq, and discovered a shocking omission: There was nothing in there about sea lampreys.

Bush And God, Church And State (Scott Rosenberg, Salon)
<http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2003/05/17.html#a365>
We worry when national leaders assume a mantle of divine destiny. The worry is based on history, not faith.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Is Math A Young Man's Game? (Jordan Ellenberg, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2082960/>
No. Not every mathematician is washed up at 30.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Going Native (Susan Heeger, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-overview20may18,1,6886279.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dmagazine>
With water supply restrictions, conservation campaigns and the threat of drought, the time is right for growing indigenous plants.

Single Occupancy Indeed (Keith Bradsher, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/18/travel/18hkhotel.html>
My goal was a simple one: to spend the night in one of the city's grand luxury hotels, to see what it was like after the World Helath Organization's SARS advisory on April 2 recommending that people defer all but essential travel to Hong Kong.

The State Of American Singing As Heard On 'I-I-I-I-I-I-Idol' (Jody Rosen, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/18/arts/television/18ROSE.html>
Vocal showboating is to be expected in a high-stakes singing contest with a repertory that leans toward florid pop ballads. But what is notworthy about "American Idol" is the similarity between its young hopefuls and the reigning royalty of Billboard's pop and rhythm and blues charts.

Child Unfriendly (Phil Hogan, The Observer)
<http://www.observer.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,958185,00.html>
Child-free residential zones are bringing solace to stressed-out fortysomethings. No kidding.

The Night Shift (Maureen Rice, The Observer)
<http://www.observer.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,958165,00.html>
For most of us, sleep can be blissful interlude of unconsciousness. But for an increasing number, however, it is a time of dark terrors and incomprehensible fears.

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
Time Capsule Mystery Stumps Portland, Ore. (Sarah Kershaw, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/18/national/18TIME.html>
In 10 days, this city plans to revisit the moment 100 years ago that President Theodore Roosevelt rode into town in a horse-drawn carriage, gave a rousing speech about the great pioneers of the Pacific Northwest and put a copper box into the cornerstone of a towering monument to Lewis and clark... That is, if anyone can find the box.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Set To Be Declared Free Of SARS by WHO (Doreen Siow, Reuters)
<http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP200261.htm>
Singapore is on course to be declared free of SARS by the World Health Organisation on Sunday after passing 20 days with no new cases of the deadly virus.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.