[MyAppleMenu] May 13, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 13 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Got It Right With Its New Online Music Store (Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy13.html>
Let's dive right in and talk about all the different ways Apple engineers and designers could have screwed up their online music store, but didn't.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
When Copy Protection Backfires (Sam Varghese, The Age)
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/13/1052591771111.html>
EMI's copy-protection technology has resulted in a Melbourne resident doing exactly what the company is trying to prevent -- copy a music disc in order to listen to it.

Apple Hopes To Bring iTunes To Europe By Autumn (Europemedia.net)
<http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=16294>
Computer innovator Apple is reported to be in advanced talks with European record labels in a push to launch a version of its iTunes mecord store in Europe before the end of the year.

Bare Bones Celebrates 10th Anniversary With Discounts (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/05/13/barebones/>
Bare Bones Software Inc. is celebrating its 10th anniversary with a 10 percent discount on any direct orders between now and the end of June.

What Will It Take To Put Apple Back On Top? (Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/21499.html>
There is a possibility that Apple could reshape itself as a consumer entertainment company, according to Gordon Haff, an analyst with Illuminata. In fact, he said doing so would be a smart move.

Symantec Announces New AntiVirus, Firewall, Security (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/05/12/symantec/>
In updating the three products, the goal was to take advantage of Mac OS X adoption while continuing to support the Mac OS 9 faithful, according to Bill Rosenkrantz, senior product manager of Symantec's Consumer and Client Product Delivery. To do that, the products will come with dual boot CDs for both operating systems.

Hackers: iTunes Can Be Shared Over Net (John Borland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-1001121.html>
Apple Computer's iTunes software has apparently opened up a new way for Macintosh owners to share music collections across the Internet.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Nascar Racing 2003 (Andy Largent, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/view.php?ID=112>
While a very demanding game from a hardware perspective, NASCAR Racing 2003 pays off even bigger in terms of impressive visuals.

Apple Keynote (Julie Hill, Presentations.com)
<http://www.presentations.com/presentations/creation/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1883420>
For presenters who need only basic slideshow-building functionality, Keynote is a nice program and a good alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint X. But advanced users will feel restricted.

Funky Accessories For Your PowerBook (Noah Kravitz, PowerBookCentral.com)
<http://www.powerbookcentral.com/columns/kravitz/Shinza2.shtml>

The Never-Ending Search For A Faster Mac (Gene Steinberg, Gannett News Service)
<http://www.azcentral.com/business/etech/etechmain.html?gannet_story=http://www.gannettonline.com/e/eteam/mac_reality_check.html>
>From almost any point of view, today's Power Macintosh is one wicked fast computer. And when you consider the lower price, the easy setup and the stability of Mac OS X, this computer rocks!

A Closer Look At Apple's eMac Line (Stefano Scalia, TheMacMind)
<http://www.themacmind.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=195&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
The Web Browser's Unfinished Basement (Tiernan Ray, EcommerceTimes)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/21504.html>
The Web browser is fast becoming the heart of corporate computing, but it's not up to the task. Developers everywhere need to focus on reliability more than ever.

Ethernet Turns 30 (Dave Margulius, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/05/09/19FEether_1.html?s=feature>
Congratulations, Ethernet. You've just turned 30, you've exceeded your parents' wildest expectations, you are well liked,                                     and you're thousands of times faster than you were when you were young. Not bad!

Taking Aim At Denial-Of-Service Attacks (Robert Lemos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1009_3-1001200.html>
Graduate students from Carnegie Mellon University on Monday proposed two methods aimed at greatly reducing the effects of Internet attacks.

Once Derided For Dinosaur, IBM Shows A T-Rex Bite (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/technology/13BLUE.html>
When I.B.M.'s future seemed in doubt in the mid-1990's, the mainframe was routinely denigrated by industry analysts and competitors as the technological dinosaur that would surely drag I.B.M. down. But with injections of modern chip technology, software improvements and aggressive pricing, I.B.M. has revitalized the mainframe.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Doing Science At The Top Of The World (Andrew C. Revkin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/science/earth/13EXTR.html>
In a place where sea-ice runways crack apart, even the simplest setback can threaten ambitious research and, potentially, the researchers themselves.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Studios' Latest Special Effect: Budgets Out The Window (John Horn, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-et-franchise13may13.story>
This time, instead of simply cloning the famous "Matrix" fight choreography and "bullet-time" visual effects, other filmmakers are outpacing their own extravagant spending patterns as the Wachowskis throw down a can-you-top-this fiscal dare.

Lenoard Michaels, Writer, Dies At 70 (Douglas Martin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/obituaries/13MICH.html>
Leonard Michaels, a novelist and short-story writer whose precise, highly literary style illuminated weirdly realistic human predicaments, died on Saturday in Berkeley, Calif. He was 70 and had homes in Italy and Berkeley.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Big Dog, Little Dog (Wyatt Prunty, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2082811/>

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
Search For Klingon Interpreter Called Off (Associated Press)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=3&u=/ap/20030513/ap_on_fe_st/no_more_klingon>
Sorry, potential Klingon interpreters. Officials have said they won't be needing your services, after all.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.