[MyAppleMenu] May 9, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 9 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, May 9, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Testing iTunes Music Quality: They Just Don't Get It (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#quality>
It's clear from the description that Gary Krakow of MSNBC doesn't really understand how to properly check for sound quality.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
iTunes-Service Euro Talks 'Imminent' (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=6308>
Apple Europe is moving to establish the iTunes Music Service across Europe, claims UK music-industry bible, Music Week.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Is TiVO NeXT? (John Battlelle, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,48682,00.html>
Everyone who has TiVo loves TiVo; it is to television what Macintosh was to computing -- a revelation. Which is exactly why Apple should buy the beleaguered personal video recorder company and once again redefine the intersection of culture and technology.

The Real Megahertz Myth: Is Apple The Real Slim Shady? (John Kheit, The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/devilsadvocate/2003/20030509.shtml>
Many seem to be in some kind of denial about the woeful state of performance of OS X on G4s.

The Dark Side Of Software Upgrades (Adam Robert Guha, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/archive/03/0509.html>
Backwards compatibility and ease of use are two important things software companies all seem to forget in this age of "more dialogue boxes must mean better software."

Can Quality Boost Apple's Market Share? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#share>
Apple has two important advantages that may put it ahead of the PC pack, and that's reliability and the quality of its technical support.

The Second Coming Of The Mac OS X Innovators Contest (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/developer/2003/05/08/innovators.html>
Generally speaking, the rules are the same with one notable exception: we now have an International category for participants who reside outside the U.S.

Could iTunes 4 Force Music Artists To Create Better Albums? (Brian M. Coyner, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3179>
Even if their paychecks do not change significantly, which they probably won't, we still have a way to get exactly what we want with iTunes 4.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Can The eMac Fill The Classic iMac's Shoes? (Charles W. Moore, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/mooresviews/emac03.shtml>
On paper, the eMac is certainly a bargain by historical Apple standards, especially if you don?t mind, or even prefer, a CRT Monitor, and if Apple has, hopefully, been able to effectively address the video reliability problems that plagued the first generation of the eMacs introduced a year ago and released to the consumer market last June.

Logitech MX700 Cordless Optical Mouse (Arron Rouse, The Inquirer)
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9395>
This little beastie is definitely recommended.

iGriffin iTrip (Dennis Lloyd, iPodlounge)
<http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=439_0_6_0_M>
It looks good and sounds great, and reminds me of our friend the iPod.

World War 2 Online Blitzkrieg (Joe Kudrna, ATPM)
<http://www.atpm.com/9.05/ww2ol.shtml>
This game is most recommended for WW2 hobbyists, serious gamers, and those who like simulation games, but it may still be attractive to arcade gamers.

Mighty Mouse 1.1 (Mike Swope, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/mightymouse.shtml>
Mighty Mouse 1.1 lets Mac OS X users do things with their cursors that they likely hadn't imagined, without sacrificing stability. Mighty Mouse is rock solid for an initial release.

More Buttons Better When Upgrading Mouse (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/1902446>
While the Microsoft mouse is nice, and I use one with my PowerBook when I'm on the road, I'm a button junkie, so my input device at home is a Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro trackball.

Extensis Intellihance 4.1 (Gary Coyne, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/Intellihance4.1.shtml>
If you wish that this program will let you bypass the challenging nature of some of Photoshop's enhancement capabilities, forget it. Spend time learning Intellihance Pro or spend time learning Photoshop.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
South Korean Group Sues Microsoft Over Slammer (Dennis Fisher, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1054794,00.asp>
In a sign of users' increasing frustration with the security shortcomings of many software applications, a civic group in South Korea has made good on their threat to file a lawsuit against Microsoft Corp.'s Korean subsidiary, a Korean ISP and the country's Information Ministry.

$2 Trillion Fine For Microsoft Security Snafu? (Ashlee Vance, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/30620.html>
Microsoft's latest security lapse with its Passport information service could trigger a $2.2 trillion fine on the company courtesy of the US government.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
George Morrow, A Personal Computer Visionary, Dies At 69 (John Markoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/09/obituaries/09MORR.html>
George Morrow, a mathematician and programmer who was a member of a group of unorthodox hobbyists who were instrumental in creating the personal computer industry, died at his home in San Mateo, Calif., on Wednesday.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The End Of Civil Service? (Paul C. Light, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32718-2003May8.html>
If Congress and the president move ahead with reform, they need to provide the dollars to make it work. Why bother otherwise?

I Loathe America, And What It Has Done To The Rest Of The World (Margaret Drabble, Telegraph)
<http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2003/05/08/do0801.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2003/05/08/ixopinion.html>
I hate feeling this hatred. I have to keep reminding myself that if Bush hadn't been (so narrowly) elected, we wouldn't be here, and none of this would have happened. There is another America. Long live the other America, and may this one pass away soon.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Like Mother, Like Son -- In The Kitchen (David Shaw, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-matters7may07,1,2341029.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dfood>
On the benefits of cooking up some love on mothers day.

A Mom Makeover (Janet Saidi, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-et-saidi9may09,0,7384580.story?coll=cl%2Dbooks%2Dfeatures>
Today's mothers are confessing to fallibility even as they display fierce love.

Obsession, Not Proportion, Still Drives Television News (Howard Rosenberg, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/rosenberg/cl-et-howard9may09.story>
Instead of showing us architects of history, TV encourages carpenters with fast hammers.

We All Die Alone (Laura Miller, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/05/09/breeding_miller/index.html>
News flash: Having children won't save you from a lonely old age.

Earth To Bill Gates: Thank You (Andrew Leonard, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/05/09/gates/index.html>
Yes, Microsoft is a bullying monopoly. But the software king may go down in history as the single individual who did the most to help the world's neediest people.

Who's To Blame For Birtney? (Alan Rusbridger, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,951260,00.html>
When people talk of the dumbing-down of our culture, they invariably make a scapegoat of the media. But high art is everyone's responsibility.

Don't Write Off The Net (Ben Hammersley, The Guadian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,950915,00.html>
Now, with the internet firmly placed in the majority of homes in the English-speaking world, the web is seeing a burst of old-fashioned literary endeavour. Writing, it seems, is very much alive and well on the web.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
Eve Wakes In The Garden (Jan Lee Ande, The Alsop Review)
<http://www.alsopreview.com/ande/jaeve.html>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.