[MyAppleMenu] Mar 26, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 26 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
IDG, Apple Announce Creative Show In New York (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/26/create/>
IDG World Expo, the producers of Macworld Conference & Expo, and Apple Computer Inc. on Wednesday jointly announced a new event aimed at creative professionals. Scheduled for July 14-18, 2003 at New York's Javits Center, CREATE will focus on technology and professional solutions for the creative arts, including design and publishing, video and music.

Apple Responds To Adobe's 'PC Preferred' Site (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/25/appleresponds/>
Apple contends that the problem is not with the platform, but rather the application that is being used in the test, specifically After Effects. Apple points out that its own products outperform After Effects in similar tests.

Unconventional Wisdom (Fred Bayles, Boston Magazine)
<http://www.bostonmagazine.com/ArticleDisplay.php?id=221>
"We're prepared to live in a world without Apple. Are you prepared to live in a world without Macworld?"

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Corel Customers 'Have No Worries' (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6140>
The upcoming buy out of Corel will affect neither product development nor its creative products, the company claims.

MacHack Going On As Planned Despite Apple WWDC Move (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/26/machack>
"Our dates may make it difficult for some to attend both conferences, and we intend to work with them to find ways for them to continue to participate."

Onsted Schools Long On To More Than 100 New Laptop Computers (David Frownfelder, Daily Telegram)
<http://www.lenconnect.com/articles/2003/03/25/news/news18.txt>
More than 100 "notebook"-style computers have been delivered to the school under a grant awarded in November and were part of a special dedication ceremony Monday.

Apeiron Coming to OS X (Mike Apps, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=7325>
In a recent post to the MacNN forums, Andrew Welch, president of Ambrosia Software revealed that his classic game, Apeiron, is on its way to OS X.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple Final Cut Pro Vs. Adobe Premiere (Matteo Flugheri, The Inquirer)
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8542>
It looks clear that Apple is positioning itself as the Microsoft of Digital Audio and Video, anywhere from the home users, to the pro-sumers to the high-end professionals. This clearly marks the end of an era of close collaboration between the two companies.

Poll: Bring Back The Cube (Alison Turner, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6139>
Mac users still have a soft spot for the now-defunct G4 Cube, a Macworld Online readers poll shows.

Adobe And The Great Benchmark Hissy Fit (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#adobe>
Remember, it's still all about money.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Script Editor 2 (Richard Dyce, MacUser UK)
<http://www.macuser.co.uk/?reviews/reviews_story.php?id=38859>
If you're considering writing AppleScripts, it could make your first steps a little easier.

Apple's New PowerBook: A Subnote With Style (Stephan Somogyi, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2913099,00.html>
Judging by the effervescence with which Apple describes its sales of this new PowerBook, I feel thoroughly vindicated that there clearly is demand for a compact-yet-capable PowerBook.

Camino And Safari Compared (Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/03/25/safari.html>
So, which is the better browser? Sheesh, don't ask me. I'm as indecisive as the next person, and in the last month my default browser setting has fluttered between Chimera, Safari, and Mozilla. Each has features I like, each has niggles I dislike, and none has all of the lovely features and none of the niggles.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Windows Server: Microsoft's Mod OS (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016-994109.html>
Microsoft is taking a more modular approach to shipping the OS compared with earlier Windows Server versions. That could translate into greater flexibility delivering additional components over a longer period of time. The strategy will also let Microsoft release technologies that simply won't be ready in time for Windows Server 2003's April 24 launch.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Abuses With Mini-Cameras Tough To Curb (Kaho Shimizu, The Japan Times)
<http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20030325b3.htm>
Experts say phone cameras are so handy that people grow careless about when they release the shutters.

PC Forum Delves Into Future Of Tech (Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-994051.html>
Technology leaders gathered here this week to discuss the future of the industry, but the war in Iraq and the lingering economic slump has dampened their enthusiasm.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Gartner Casts Doubts On IT Outsourcing (Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-994108.html>
Half of information technology outsourcing projects will be considered unsuccessful in 2003 because they have not delivered the expected value, according to a new report from market research firm Gartner.

All Eyes On Face Recognition (Paul Festa, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-994111.html>
Spurred by two federal antiterrorism statutes, the Commerce Department this month released a study showing that face-recognition technology is hitting its stride.

Merrill Lynch: War Will Not Hit IT Spending (Joris Evers, IDG News Service)
<http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/management/itspending/story/0,10801,79705,00.html>
The war in Iraq won't slow IT spending, but a quick resolution of the war won't boost spending either, according to U.S. and European CIOs surveyed by Merrill Lynch & Co.

AOL To Swap Real Audio Technology (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027-993928.html>
America Online is expected to announce that it will replace RealNetworks with Dolby as the default audio streaming technology for its narrowband Net radio service, according to Dolby.

Start-Up Attempts IM Workaround (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032-994075.html>
Start-up Endeavors Technology said it has found a way to bridge the chasm separating popular instant messaging by America Online and Microsoft.

Wi-Fi Firewall Gets U.S. Approval (Paul Festa, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1009-994038.html>
A start-up's wireless security product won approval from a federal standards organization, paving the way for resale by Hewlett-Packard to the U.S. government.

Red Hat Liberates Low-End Linux (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016-994074.html>
Linux seller Red Hat has moved to a strategy that lets it adopt the latest technology more aggressively for its lower-end products, a strategy that will become visible March 31 with the release of Red Hat Linux 9, code-named Shrike.

Red Hat Slips Into The Red (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1014-994078.html>
Red Hat said Tuesday that it slipped into the red and below analyst expectations for its most recent quarter, but the Linux seller reported revenue growth and progress in selling its premium products for business customers.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
When Women Go To War (Anne Applebaum, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29269-2003Mar25.html>
If the argument about women in combat is over, the conversation about women in the military should not be -- just as the conversation about women in the law, or in business, or in factories did not end when more women took those jobs.

Take Down Saddam TV (Maureen Dowd, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/26/opinion/26DOWD.html>
Despite the vast sums we spend on our intelligence and diplomatic services, American officials often seem clueless about the culture of our adversaries.

The End Of The Nation-State As We Know It? (Yang Razali Kassim, Singapore Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/views/story/0,4574,76450,00.html?>
Is Mr Bush a latter-day Brezhnev, and can it be that the United States is some reincarnation of the old USSR -- a power feared, never liked, and labelled the 'Evil Empire' by Ronald Reagan?

How To Take Back America (Thom Hartmann, Common Dreams)
<http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0324-12.htm>
Marching in the streets is important work, but wouldn't we have greater success if we also took control of the United States government?

Something Suspicious Is In The Air (Courtland Milloy, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16791-2003Mar23.html>
The sign above the highway leading into the nation's capital advised motorists to "Report Suspicious Activity" and gave an 800 number for the Office of Homeland Security. As a reporter, I figured this was right up my alley and set out yesterday to report on things that struck me as suspicious.

Channels Of Influence (Paul Krugman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/25/opinion/25KRUG.html>
Who has been organizing those pro-war rallies? The answer, it turns out, is that they are being promoted by key players in the radio industry —- with close links to the Bush administration.

TV Anchors Fighting Own hard Battles (Scott Feschuk, National Post)
<http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary/story.html?id=5B033389-21E6-42A4-AD2A-911393CE869D>
Deprived by the American military of anything that promoted "shock" or "awe" or, most important of all, "ratings," the anchors of CNN's morning program were yesterday reduced to devoting a rather unseemly amount of air time to coverage of how great their coverage has been so far. "Fascinating stuff!" said Bill Hemmer.

Powell's Doctrine Decommissioned (Scott Rosenberg, Salon)
<http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2003/03/24.html#a330>
Either we continue to do everything we can to minimize the bloodshed, quite possibly limiting our ability to bring the war to a successful close; or we untie the military's hands, let them bomb Baghdad and other cities to bits and not worry about the "collateral damage."

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Prime Numbers Not So Random? (Philip Ball, Nature)
<http://www.nature.com/nsu/030317/030317-13.html>
A team of physicists may have stumbled upon a surprising discovery about one of the deepest and best-studied questions in pure mathematics: whether or not prime numbers appear randomly in the sequence of whole numbers.

Keeping The Edge On Technology's Sword (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2003/tc20030325_8126_tc047.htm>
Sophisticated weaponry gives the U.S. an awesome advantage. But what happens when enemies change tactics to counter it -- or simply buy it?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
New York Restaurants Now Cope With A War, Too (Eric Asimov, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/26/dining/26CITY.html>
Diners and restaurateurs respond to unease with the war in Iraq -— and with the French.

The Itch (Sydney Schanberg, The Village Voice)
<http://villagevoice.com/issues/0313/schanberg.php>
It is a paradox of war that some people who have lived through its slaughter and madness never lose the itch to go back and live through it again.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Other People (Peter Campion, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2080643/>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
All Singapore Schools Up To JCs To Be Closed Until 6 April: Education Minister (Walter Fernandez, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/35815/1/.html>
All Singapore schools up to junior colleges will be closed until Sunday, 6 April, announced Education Minister Teo Chee Hean at a news conference on Wednesday evening.

Singaporean Dies Of Flu-Like Illness (AFP)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,179461,00.html?>
Singapore on Wednesday reported the first death from a mysterious respiratory disease that has claimed 17 other lives worldwide.

HDB Stay Offers Singapore Experience (Margaret Teo, Singapore Tourism Board, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/views/story/0,4567,76396,00.html?>
As with visitors from any other country, Chinese visitors to Singapore span a range of income brackets and their accommodation preferences vary. Apart from adding to the variety of accommodation options offered to all our visitors, a stay in HDB housing will also make for a more interesting and memorable trip for visitors.

Singapore: Tourism Hit By War, Virus (Reuters)
<http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/03/25/leisure.singapore.tourism.reut/>
War in Iraq and a mysterious flu-like virus in Asia are cutting deeply into Singapore's tourist arrivals, especially from Europe and the United States, tourism industry officials said on Tuesday.

Replace Your Ez-Link Card? New Waiting Area, But... (Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,179397,00.html?>
Long queues and waiting times remain despite some changes at lone service centre; transport operators and EZ-Link deadlocked over funding of more centres.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.