[MyAppleMenu] Mar 24, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 24 21:05:01 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Mar 24, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Security Update Fixes Samba, More (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/24/security/>
Apple today released a Security Update that fixes a problem recently identified with Samba, an open-source file and print sharing technology that enables Macs to work more seamlessly with Windows computers on networks. While the technology is turned off by default in Mac OS X, this update addresses a problem that could allow remote access to the host system if Samba is turned on.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
MSN Messenger 3.5 For Mac OS X Now Available (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/24/messenger2>

REAL To Provide Visual Basic/REALbasic Converter (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/24/realbasic/>
REALbasic creator REAL Software Inc. will soon offer its developers a new tool that may help ease the conversion of Visual Basic projects to the Macintosh.

Toast Titanium Update Improves VideoCD Export, More (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/24/toast/>
Toast 5.2.1 Titanium sports improved compatibility of VideoCD export with iMovie 3.

WebObjects Hits 5.2.1 (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6121>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Jaguar Today, Panther Tomorrow, And Another Slap In The Face? (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/03/0324.html>
Why buy Jaguar today when Panther will probably ship in a few months with no discount to reward my loyalty?

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
SuperCard 4.0: Excellent Software-Development Application Reclaims Its Top Spot (John Dixon, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/04/reviews/supercard4/>
SuperCard 4.0 has arrived just in time if the program is going to regain the popularity it once had. This arena is now getting a little crowded, with RealBasic's RealBasic and Runtime's Revolution making their products available for Mac OS and for Windows. So far, though, SuperCard is the easiest to use, and it delivers extremely professional-looking Mac applications.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
E-Mail Reveals Real Leaders (Philip Ball, Nature)
<http://www.nature.com/nsu/030317/030317-5.html>
Want to know how your organization really works - who speaks to whom, who holds the power? Then study the flow of internal e-mail, say scientists at global technology firm Hewlett-Packard.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
AOL Hopes It's Found A Way To Hang On (David A. Vise, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12051-2003Mar22.html>
America Online Inc. is launching a $35 million marketing campaign in a bid to hang on to its subscribers, even if they buy high-speed Internet access elsewhere.

Improved Tools Turn Journalists Into A Quick Strike Force (Amy Harmon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/24/business/media/24TECH.html>
Reporters covering the war in Iraq are at one with their technology as never before. News gatherers say the smaller gadgets and bigger bandwidth have broadened their reach in a way that is sure to change how people perceive the war.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Battling The Fog Of Finance (James Grant, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/24/opinion/24GRAN.html>
The truth about the three-year decline in stock prices and the hot-and-cold-running economy is that they have their roots in prosperity, not in war.

How Bush made This His War (Andy Oram, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2955>
We are in the age of passion. You joined this war (or its opponents) years ago, without knowing it. I suppose human history has always catapulted itself ahead, or backward, with similar blindness. There is not much anyone can do now until it is all over; but once we have some breathing room we must start to take the duct tape off of our eyes.

I Was A Naive Fool To Be A Human Shield For Saddam (Daniel Pepper, Telegraph)
<http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2003/03/23/do2305.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2003/03/23/ixop.html>
The human shields appealed to my anti-war stance, but by the time I had left Baghdad five weeks later my views had changed drastically. I wouldn't say that I was exactly pro-war - no, I am ambivalent - but I have a strong desire to see Saddam removed.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Improved Tools Turn Journalists Into A Quick Strike Force (Amy Harmon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/24/business/media/24TECH.html>
Reporters covering the war in Iraq are at one with their technology as never before. News gatherers say the smaller gadgets and bigger bandwidth have broadened their reach in a way that is sure to change how people perceive the war.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
It Looks Like A Documentary And Quacks Like A Documentary... But Is It Really Just Michael Moore In A Duck Suit? (Andy Ihnatko)
<http://www.cwob.com/movies/oscars2003/bfc.html>
"Bowling For Columbine" sold as a documentary. Is it? Not in a conventional sense, no. It's brilliant filmmaking and in many ways it's a very important film. But shouldn't we call it a Filmed Essay instead of a Documentary?

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Regulators Should Not Play God: Gartner (Angela Tan, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/bizit/story/0,4574,76208,00.html?>
Regulators should not force a technology on telecom companies and risk pushing commercial entities into failure in the name of national interest, Geoff Johnson, Gartner's research director of Asia-Pacific telecom and networ king, told BT in a recent interview.

Media Code To Ensure Fair Play To Be Out Soon (Neo Hui Min, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,179003,00.html?>
Companies will be slapped with penalties, ranging from warnings to fines, if they flout the rules.

Don't 'Abuse' Bridge For Private Functions (Lee Beng Tat, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,4386,178960,00.html?>
Stop allowing Cavenagh Bridge to be used for private functions. A wonderful exhibit of engineering of the 19th century, it is a national treasure, a tourist attraction and, above all, a public thoroughfare.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.