[MyAppleMenu] Mar 22, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 22 21:05:01 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Mar 22, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Postpones Developers Conference (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1045-993675.html?tag=fd_top>
Apple Computer has pushed its annual developers conference from May to June, and switched locations, so that the conference will coincide with the release of a preview version of the next update to its operating system.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
A Beautiful Day In The Life Of Sound (Suzannah Tartan, The Japan Times)
<http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fm20030323st.htm>
The phone line buzzes, the electric heater drones and the pitter-patter of rain can be heard in the background. Not the perfect sonic environment for a phone interview, but for Yuko Kitamura, it is perfect.

Apple Moves WWDC 2003 To June In San Francisco (TidBITS)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07110>
Apple does say that people who have already registered for WWDC 2003 can contact the Apple Developer Connection, presumably to register complaints or ask for assistance. There is some precedent for Apple paying ticket change fees.

New Mac Event Planned For Southern California (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/22/macgathering/>
A new Mac event, the Regional Macintosh Gathering, will be held at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California, April 4-6. Its goal is to provide a "unique mix of everything a Macintosh user seeks," creator-organizer Deborah Shadovitz said.

Apple Launches New Student Web Site (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/18862>
Aimed at promoting Macs and Apple technology for the 2003 back-to-school season.

O'Reilly Releases "Mac OS X Hacks" (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/21/oreilly>
"The authors share no-nosense, sometimes quick-and-dirty solutions to administering and running of a Unix machine... Add to this the knowledge of die-hard Macintosh users, customizing and modifying their hardware and software to meet their needs."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Death Of The G3 iMac? The G3 Ain't Dead Yet (Adam Robert Guha, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/archive/03/0321.html>
Many companies still use beige and blue and white G3s, and a large number of WallStreet G3 PowerBooks are still in use today, and many of them will most likely still be in use at this time next year.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Degrees Of Freedom (Jon Udell, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/03/21/12virtuoso_1.html?s=tc>
Virtuoso Universal Server 3.0 expands the horizons of data access, integration, and delivery.

PGP Personal 8.0: Full-Featured Security System Comes To OS X (Glenn Fleishman, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/04/reviews/pgppersonal8/>
PGP Personal 8.0 is an excellent and inexpensive solution for people who must regularly protect the contents of files or disks, or who frequently need to send and receive secure documents. The rewards for mastering its learning curve are peace of mind and industrial-grade protection.

Booting Mac OS 9 On 2003 (Mac OS X Only) Macs (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20030321085953197>
This solution is only readily accessible by Mac service providers, but it shows that Mac OS 9 boots are not impossible on Apple's new machines.

QuickBooks Pro 5.0: Rerelease Of Accounting App In Mac Business Market Offers Small Change For Big Bucks (Jeffery Battersby, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/04/reviews/quickbookspro5/>
If you're still using QuickBooks 4 and have no plans to move to OS X, save your money. Almost nothing in this release justifies the $180 upgrade price. But if QuickBooks is the only reason you haven't jumped to OS X, now's the time to make your move. You won't necessarily be getting a better product or -- except for the Report Finder -- any major new features, but you'll be using familiar software and you'll be running it on the best, stablest OS for handling all your business needs.

Aladdin Freeware Medleys 'Worth Paying For' (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/1828686>
If you're looking for good values in utilities or games, you can't go wrong with these superb and inexpensive collections from Aladdin.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Windows Flaw Poses New Risks (Dennis Fisher, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,962547,00.asp>
Security researchers say that they have identified several additional attack vectors that can exploit the critical Windows 2000 vulnerability disclosed this week, and are urging everyone running the operating system to patch their machines.

Office 2003 May Pose Antivirus Problem (Patrick Gray, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1002-993696.html>
The latest test version of Microsoft Office 2003 could cause problems for antivirus companies because the XML-based format it supports will bog down scanning software, according to security experts.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Reasons Why Programmers Do Not Test (Brian M. Coyner, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2940>
I agree that testing is hard and often takes longer to complete a feature. The benefit of having a complete test suite outweighs the alternative, which is not to write tests at all.

Rebuilding Plans For Postwar Iraq Depend On IT (Dan Verton and Matt Hamblen, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/recovery/story/0,10801,79605,00.html>
The State Department and the Pentagon are already working with the private sector to plan for the rebuilding of Iraq's infrastructure, including IT and telecommunications systems.

Microsoft Exits Web Services Group (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/03/21/HNdepart_1.html>
Two Microsoft officials have abruptly quit a World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) panel on Web services choreography as abruptly as they had joined.

SCO's Version Of History (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/03/21/12osource_1.html?s=tc>
The SCO Group's claims against IBM don't jibe with facts and logic.

IBM Strikes Oil In Supercomputer Deal (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-993657.html>
The University of Texas bought about 4 tons worth of IBM supercomputer for a project to model how oil and gas flow beneath the surface of the earth, Big Blue said Friday.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
A Double Standard On Dissent (E. J. Dionne Jr., Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1193-2003Mar20.html>
The more a president's supporters use the term "commander in chief" to enhance his authority, the more important it is to remember his role as the political leader of a free republic who is not endowed with infallibility, unlimited power or immunity from criticism.

In The Land Of Diverse Opinion... Hollywood? (Rachel Abramowitz, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/oscars/cl-et-abram22mar22.story>
Despite outspoken celebrities, insiders say views of the war aren't nearly as unified as outsiders think.

Hearts Divided (David Montgomery, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8210-2003Mar21.html>
A world away, Iraqi exiles watch the news, torn by fear and hope.

The Anti-American Lifestyle (Fernanda Eberstadt, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/magazine/23ANTI.html>
Americans are convinced that the French hate America every bit as much as many Americans hate the French. But the reality I've encountered is more interesting -- a France whose values are quite different from the anti-Americanism of Parisians in black 501 jeans and ponytails.

Why Colin Powell Should Go (Bill Keller, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/22/opinion/22KELL.html>
Such a loyal and optimistic man would make some president a great secretary of state. Just not this president.

War News: Go Beyond The Usual Suspects (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/000875.shtml#000875>
Maybe you didn't have time at the start of this war to check out the alternatives. In coming weeks and months, please make the time.

Past Mideast Invasions Faced Unexpected Perils (Hugh Pope and Peter Waldman, Wall Street Journal)
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB104802384328857700,00.html>
>From Napoleon's drive into Egypt through Britain's rule of Iraq in the 1920s to Israel's march into Lebanon in 1982, Middle East nations have tempted conquerors only to send them reeling.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
The War Machine (Paul Boutin, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2080546/>
The military's laptop of choice provokes shock and awe.

'Lost City' Yielding Its Secrets (John Noble Wilford, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/18/science/social/18INCA.html>
Working with new evidence and a trove of re-examined relics, many of them recovered from the basement of a Yale museum here, archaeologists have revised their thinking about the significance of Machu Picchu, the most famous "lost city" of the Incas.

Rebuilding Plans For Postwar Iraq Depend On IT (Dan Verton and Matt Hamblen, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/recovery/story/0,10801,79605,00.html>
The State Department and the Pentagon are already working with the private sector to plan for the rebuilding of Iraq's infrastructure, including IT and telecommunications systems.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
IT Industry Can Be Sexy Once Again (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,178557,00.html?>
Despite the dot.com collapse of recent years, there is much to be optimistic about, Senior Minister of State (Information, Communications and the Arts) Khaw Boon Wan said on Thursday during his ministry's budget debate.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.