[MyAppleMenu] Mar 12, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 12 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
EZQuest Offers Boa Slim DVD-RW Drive (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/12.ezquest.php>

Apple Ranks Fifth In January Desktop Retail Sales (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/12.desktop.php>
Market research resource NPD Techworld reports that Apple was number five among desktop computer manufacturers for January in dollar terms.

Mac OS X Innovators Contest Ready For Primetime (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/developer/2003/03/11/innovators.html>
Last Fall, when I decided that I wanted to do more on Mac DevCenter to help independent developers bring their ideas to market, I got together with our partners and developed a three-part plan. Today, I'm happy to announce the fruition of this plan, including the launch of the Mac OS X Innovators contest.

iPod, Therefore They Learn (Tracy Peacock, The Australian)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6111888%5E15327%5E%5Enbv%5E15306-15321,00.html>
Second-year students at the University of Western Australia will be able to borrow a portable digital music player for a semester as part of their course. The Apple iPod will allow them to store some of their work, such as video projects.

Computer Presentation Is Everything (Leslie Brown, News & Observer)
<http://newsobserver.com/news/story/2312212p-2170515c.html>
Students in third through fifth grade at Eno Valley are using a variety of PowerPoint presentations and computerized movies to present reports.

OmniOutliner Update Adds Keynote Compatibility, More (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/11.omnioutliner.php>
Adding XML export and compatibility with Apple's new Keynote presentation software.

BBEdit 7.0.3 Released (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/11.bbedit.php>
Changes in BBEdit 7.0.3 include a preference option to control character set handling in HTML and XHTML documents.

O'Reilly Offers New 'Switch' Missing Manual (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/12.missing.php>
Issues covered in Pogue's new book include adapting to the Macintosh versions of Microsoft Office, FileMaker, Photoshop and Quicken, finding familiar controls, networking PCs and Macs so they can share files, and adapting old printers, scanners and other peripherals.

Laptop Program Draws Admirers (Betty Jespersen, Maine Today)
<http://www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/030311canadian.shtml>
Maine's effort to put an Apple iBook computer in the lap of every seventh-and eight-grader in its public schools is attracting international attention.

Apple iMac - The PC You Really Want, Says MSN (John Lettice, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/29702.html>
Hats off to Apple Canada, which as far as we can make out appears to have pulled off a small but embarrassing heist at the expense of the local version of the Microsoft Network.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Macromedia Lacks Common Sense (Forrester Research, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2009-1122-992201.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news>
The new design of Macromedia's Web site has more fundamental problems than its incompatibility with Apple Computer's Safari browser.

Apple's Digital Hub Strategy - Flawed? (Stefano Scalia, The Mac Mind)
<http://www.themacmind.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=112&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0>
The TV is a integral part of the digital hub, and Apple is flat-out missing the boat.

Apple's Chance To Get Online Music Right (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2003/tc20030312_9271_tc056.htm>
If Steve Jobs joins with the record industry to create a Mac-friendly service, he should think radically different about its terms.

Poll: Apple DTP App 'For Rest Of Us' (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6077>
Macworld Online readers are fed-up waiting for Quark to release XPress for Mac OS X, and want Apple to deliver a DTP solution 'for the rest of us'.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Logitech Elite Keyboard (Greg Gant, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=337>
It bothers me to no end that I can’t use this product to its fullest potential. A driver update could easily place this keyboard right at Microsoft’s heels, the current king of PC keyboards.

Still Life 2.0 Is Anything But 'Still' (MacDVonline)
<http://www.macdvonline.com/more.php?id=36_0_1_0_M>
It’s a spectacular application and I have no doubt that it will become one the most used tools in my video arsenal.

What You Need To Know Before You Go Flat (Arati Bechtel, News & Observer)
<http://newsobserver.com/business/story/2312280p-2170540c.html>
If you've got the same hankering, you'll want to understand the pros and cons of switching from your CRT monitor to a flat-panel LCD.

One Definite Knock On The 12-Inch PowerBook G4 (Rob McNair-Huff, Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/macnetjournal/March2003.html#note_833>
With my Pismo I could make all of these connections and they were hidden from view, protruding from the back of the PowerBook. With this machine I have to look at the mess. Aesthetically, this is a bad move. Functionally, it works.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
The Myth Of Interference (David Weinberger, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/03/12/spectrum/index.html>
Internet architect David Reed explains how bad science created the broadcast industry.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
ABC To Broadcast 24-Hour Web News (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1031-992213.html>
ABCNews.com plans to launch a 24-hour news service that will be streamed live on the Internet for a monthly fee, coinciding with the threat of war with Iraq and the ongoing U.S. campaign against terrorism.

Windows To Support Storage Standard (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1015-992273.html>
As it had promised, Microsoft on Wednesday said it will add support in Windows for the recently approved iSCSI storage standard, which allows storage networks to be built using existing Ethernet networks.

AOL Unveils Pop-Up Stoppers (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1024-992142.html>
America Online on Wednesday will introduce new pop-up advertising controls that let members suppress spontaneous promotional windows while surfing the Web, as part of its bid to pacify customers frustrated with unwanted ads.

Red Hat Revamps Premium Linux Plan (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016-992155.html>
Linux seller Red Hat on Wednesday will unveil a new phase in its plan to profit from a premium product, introducing a new lower-priced version of its Advanced Server software, along with a new brand name.

Military's 'Sneaky Wave' Out Of Hiding (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1039-992071.html>
Intel, Sony and others are meeting to decide which of a slew of proposals submitted by wireless-networking companies will become a new standard to rival Bluetooth--and a military technology once known as the "sneaky wave" is making a splash.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Universe As Doughnut: New Data, New Debate (Dennis Overbye, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/11/science/space/11COSM.html>
A new detailed map has provided a series of hints that the universe may have a more complicated shape than astronomers presumed.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Walking And Chewing Gum And Fouling Up Royally (John Balzar, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-balzar12mar12,1,3224247.column?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
The studies are in: Multi-taskers take longer and do things worse. So much for efficiency.

You Made All This Yourself? (Amanda Hesser, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/12/dining/12ANTI.html>
Antipasti, an assortment of small tastes that stimulate the palate without filling you up, are an ideal start to any dinner.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
As Close As Breathing (Mark jarman, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2079969/>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
MPs Blame Land Cost For Difficulties (Chuang Peck Ming, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/premiumstory/0,4574,75068,00.html?>
With wages tamed by high unemployment, land cost is emerging as a serious issue for those worried about the high cost of doing business in Singapore.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
LRT's Runaway Losses - Up To $3m A Year (Alexis Hooi, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,176440,00.html?>
The operator of the Bukit Panjang Light Rapid Transit (LRT) line has been losing about $2 million to $3 million a year even with cost-saving measures in place, and it could go further into the red.

Zoo Sticks With Old Name After Outcry (Ginnie Teo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,176547,00.html?>
Public anger at amount it was spending on creating a new image leads the zoo to put its planned name change on hold.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.