[MyAppleMenu] Jun 28, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 28 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Jun 28, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Greene Leaders Agree To Lease Computers (Sandy Wall, Kinston Free Press)
<http://www.kinston.com/Details.cfm?StoryID=12056>
Greene County leaders on Thursday approved a lease agreement that will provide laptop computers for every middle and high school students.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Sybase Covers All The Bases (Rick Whiting, InformationWeek)
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10807433>
New offerings help manage very large databases and mobile and small-business apps.

Corel Shows Loss, Trims Staff (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-1021736.html>

Aspyr Ships SimCity 4 (Jefferson Regan, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=7915>
The long-awaited 4th generation of the game features new simulation and graphics engines, new regional game play and the new ability to track the lives of individual Sims as they go about their daily routine.

Apple Confirms Third-Party Cards Work With AirPort 3.1 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/27/airport/>
The ability for third party IEEE 802.11g cards to work in Macs equipped with AirPort 3.1 drivers was a deliberate engineering decisiono n Apple's part.

Security Concerns Raised Over Retrospect (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/19951>

Apple Blooms On Michigan (Howard Wolinsky, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-apple27.html>
Apple today puts the final polishes on and at 6 pm, opens its new North Michigan Avenue store, the largest in its rapidly expanding network of company-owned retail outlets.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Panther Preview Confirms New PowerBooks? (Tony Smith, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31454.html>
A tantalising glimpse of Apple's PowerBook plans has emerged courtesy of the preview release of Mac OS X 10.3 handed out to developers at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Why Does Apple Put Politics First? (Rush Limbaugh)
<http://rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_062703/content/across_the_fruited_plain.guest.html>
Apple is apparently a company that is so constrained by the political views of its corporate leadership and board, which now includes Algore, that it's accepting lower sales. What a shame.

Apple's iChat AV And AOL IM Interoperability (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/001126.shtml#001126>
Now we can guess why AOL asked the FCC to cancel the instant-messaging interoperability requirement for video services, something AOL had promised as a consequence of its buyout of Time Warner.

Concerning Apple's New Power Mac G5 (Jared White, Idea Basket)
<http://www.theideabasket.com/index.php/article/articleview/99/1/1/>
A number of interesting details about the new Apple machines have gone more-or-less unnoticed.

Is The G5 Going To Change The Platform? (TheMacMind)
<http://www.themacmind.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=252>

The Time Is Now (DBRobinson, MacTeens)
<http://macteens.com/opinion_more.php?id=139_0_6_0_C>
To grow their market share, Apple need to increase the appeal to all levels of consumers.

Will The Power Macintosh G5 Inspire The Market? (Andreas Pfeiffer, ExtremeTech)
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,1139887,00.asp>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Add Songs To iPod After Altering Your Preferences (Jim Rossman, Dalls Morning News)
<http://www.fox11az.com/scitech/help/stories/062603ccptechhelpdesk.2eb41332.html>

Audio/Video Conferencing With iChat AV (Wei-Meng Lee, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/06/27/ichatav.html>
After fiddling with iChat AV, I have this feeling that Apple is going to popularize video conferencing with these two new product launches.

The Game Room: Save The Drama (Peter Cohen, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/07/reviews/thegameroom/>
>From comic-book heroes to skate rats to tried-and-true board games, we've packed this month's Game Room with games that offer a more upbeat outlook.

Tropico: Mucho Macho Edition (Karen Halloran, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=381>
If Tropico slipped by you on its initial release, the Mucho Macho Edition is a great opportunity to try one of the most unique simulation games ever at a bargain price.

Unreal Tournament 2003 (Corey Tamas, MacGamer)
<http://www.macgamer.com/features/?id=1582>

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Sobig Variant Making A Name For Itself (Dennis Fisher, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1139110,00.asp>
Our long national nightmare continues.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Reporter Exploits Weak Wi-Fi Network; Accesses Studnet Info (Ron Harris, Associated Press)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/06/26/state1956EDT0176.DTL>
When the Palo Alto Unified School District decided to go high-tech and install wireless computer connections throughout its offices and on some campuses, it obviously hadn't gambled on security becoming an issue.

Sensors Of The World, Unite! (MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_poor062703.asp>
Ember CTO Robert Poor on turning wirelessly interconnected networks of sensors into a ubiquitous reality.

FCC Official: No Need To Regulate ISPs (Reuters)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-1022008.html>
There is no need for the FCC to adopt rules to address concerns that high-speed Internet service providers will favor some Web sites over others, an agency official said on Friday.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Calculating The Irrational In Economics (Stephen J. Dubner, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/28/arts/28BEHA.html>
The field of behavior economics blends psychology, economics and neuroscience to argue that emotion plays a huge role in how people make economic decisions.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.