[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 15 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Jun 15, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Independent Streak (Chris Gaither, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/161/business/Independent_streak+.shtml>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Why Apple iTunes May Win (Frank Catalano, WebTalkGuys Radio)
<http://www.webtalkguys.com/article-apple-itunes.shtml>
Apple is winning the online music battle, and may win the war.

This Month In Web Browsers (William Grosso, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3327>
When you throw in Safari and Firebird, it feels like something's shifting.

Windows And Macros Can Prove Virus-Prone (Linda Knapp, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134994943_ptgett14.html>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Why I Can't Finish The Upgrade To Mac OS X (Ted Haigh, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2003/06/185.htm#upgrade>
There are three applications and one print driver keeping me chained to crashes, spinning beachballs, and inflexible modal dialog boxes. I need them, and I can't use them without Classic because, two years after OS X arrived, there is still no OS X version.

eMac In Class Of Its Own (Chris Oaten, The Advertiser)
<http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6590052%255E21669,00.html>
The newest Apple eMac computers present compelling options to those in the market for a new machine.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Tape's Last Legs (Tom Yager, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/13/24OPcurve_1.html>
DVD-RAM and Blu-Ray spell doom for magnetic tape.

GPS To Help The Blind Navigate (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,59174,00.html>
The European Space Agency and other organizations are testing a personal GPS-based navigation system that helps blind people get around better on their own.

Netscape Settles Software Issue (Reuters)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59243,00.html>
Netscape will pay $100,000 in a settlement concerning complaints that the company tracked information users downloaded using its SmartDownload browser software, and contradicted its statement to consumers that none of the data was saved.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Past The Point Of Justifying (John McCain, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57393-2003Jun13.html>
It is too early to declare final victory in Iraq. But we're well past the point of knowing that our war to liberate Iraq was right and just.

Fast Forward Into Trouble (Cathy Scott-Clark and Adrian Levy, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,975769,00.html>
Four years ago, Bhutan, the fabled Himalayan Shangri-la, became the last nation on earth to introduce television. Suddenly a culture, barely changed in centuries, was bombarded by 46 cable channels. And all too soon came Bhutan's first crime wave -- murder, fraud, drug offences.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.