[MyAppleMenu] Jun 8, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 8 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Jun 8, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Digitally Mastered (John Hanna, Beaver County Times/Allegheny Times)
<http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=8254247&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6>
Quaker Valley's plan centers around the idea of putting the technology into the hands and bookbags of every student from grade 3 up, every teacher and administrator in the district and creating a wireless local-area network to tie it all together.

Innovation Is No Promise Of Success (Charles Stein, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/159/business/Innovation_is_no_promise_of_success+.shtml>
In computers, Apple is on the wrong side of the Microsoft moat.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Confidential Apple Music Details Leaked (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2971790.stm>
"I didn't realise yesterday's presentation was supposed to be confidential. WHen I found out, I pulled the details. Honest mistake."

Brian Purdy: Extreme Sports Filmmaker (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/purdy/>
"People are friendly and I don't have to wake up at 6 AM and put a suit on and battle traffic on my way to sit in a cubicle for 8 hours."

Chad Muska: Hip Hop On The Fly (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/muska/>
"I was going crazy because I couldn't make music. So I got a PowerBook, the PC300 USB-connected keyboard and Cubase."

Tom Anthonly; The Ambrosia Software Spokesman Who's Not A Parrot (Kirk Hiner, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/iconversations/anthony.shtml>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Got Grads Or Dads? Give 'Em Gifts For Their Macs (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/1940323>
We'll look at some gift ideas sure to tickle the fancy of the dad or grad in your life.

Face The Fax: Dependable Software Can Be Found (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134930120_ptmacc07.html>
Smile Software's PageSender works. It sends, it receives, it's easy to use and it does not fail us.

Scattered Digital Photos? (Doug Bedell, Dalls Morning News)
<http://www.kmsb.com/technology/main/060503ccptechphotoarchive.9ca25.html>
Album software organizes the photo strewn on your hard drive.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Gates' Wealth Irrelevant, Microsoft says (Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/125509_wealth07.html>
Microsoft wants to exclude references to the "wealth or net worth" of Chairman Bill Gates or other executives from the trial of a class-action lawsuit accusing the company of overcharging consumers for Windows.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Buddy, Can You Spare A Bot? (Gabriel Goldberg, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26578-2003Jun6.html>
Instant messaging was invented to let people communicate more directly and immediately online. But some of the more interesting developments in IM don't involve talking to other people at all. Developers are using popular messaging services from America Online and other firms as ways to distribute information, market products and even track IMusers' popularity.

Sun To Pitch Java In Ads (Dean Takahashi, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6036167.htm>
Hoping to burnish its image with key developers before its JavaOne trade show in San Francisco next week, Sun Microsystems plans to announce a campaign to establish its Java programming language as a consumer brand for high-tech devices from cell phones to computers.

Pick A Language, Any Language (Katie Dean, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59093,00.html>
A group of co puter scientists and natural language epxerts were given a "mission" earlier this week: within a month, build a program that translates between English and a randomly chosen language.

Novell Backs Off Copyright Claims Against SCO (Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/06/HNnovellclaims_1.html>
In light of SCO's finding, Novell on Friday reluctantly acknowledged that the amendment in an asset purchase "appears to support SCO's claim that ownership of certain copyrights for Unix did transfer to SCO in 1996." However, Novell reiterated its claim that it holds the Unix patents.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Deja Vu (Teresa Watanabe, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-detain23jun08,1,5389251.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
After Pearl Habor, 8,000 Japanese immigrants were detained in the U.S. as enemy aliens, among them Yoshitaka Watanabe. Sixty years later, amid a similar climate of suspicion, his family learns why.

Have I Got Mail (Thomas L. Friedman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/08/opinion/08FRIE.html>
Two themes stood out: One is how much people are now interested in foreign policy, in the wake of 9/11 and Iraq. The other is that many, many people are worried about how alienated America is becoming from the world.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
All Work And No Play (Joe Robinson, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-robinson8jun08,1,606292.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions>
Spending too much time on the job? Don't expect relief any time soon.

Get Real (Laura Boswell, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15111-2003Jun4.html>
What kind of woman would humiliate herself for a chance to compete for a strange man on national TV? You'd be surprised.

Tasting Shanghai (Alison Arnett, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/155/food/Tasting_Shanghai+.shtml>
The food of Shanghai is intriguing. Designed to highlight the distinct flavors of fine ingredients, it is more refined that that of some other regions of China and always look beautiful.

Moving On From Memphis (Michael Bracewell, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,970969,00.html>
Lisa Marie Presley was nine when Elvis died and she inherited a crushing legacy of global fame. Ever since she's been struggling to find a reality of her own.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Singapore's Q3 Growth May Be A Little Flat, Says PM Goh (S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/41678/1/.html>
But he adds that the Ministry of Trade and Industry is sticking to its growth forecast of 0.5 to 2.5 per cent for this year.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
North-East Line Set To Roll On June 20 (Ben Nadarajan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,193532,00.html?>
Singapore's first driverless mass transit system will get the go-ahead barring any glitches in the next 10 days, says LTA.

Oh No, Not Another Mall (Tan Hsueh Yun, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,193522,00.html?>
Singapore is in danger of turning into a giant shopping mall, sameness everywhere you go.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.