[MyAppleMenu] Jan 18, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 18 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Jan 18, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
"School Night At The Apple Store" Announced (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/01/17/schoolnight>
The program is "specially designed for K-12 schools to celebrate achievement."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
The Future Of Networking? (Jason Deraleau, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2638>
I predict Rendezvous making it real big in our industry, especially in the home and small office markets.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Windows iPod Music Player (Sandy McMurray, The Globe And Mail)
<http://rtnews.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/tech/RTGAM/20030117/gtipod/Technology/techBN/>
Like most Apple products, iPod for Windows sets a high standard for quality and features and charges accordingly. I think it's worth the price. Go get one -- I will leave further rationalizations as an exercise for the reader.

Cleaning iTunes (brian d foy, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/01/17/itunes.html>
Tidy up your MP3 records with a dash of AppleScript.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Protecting Mickey Mouse At Art's Expense (Lawrence Lessig, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/18/opinion/18LESS.html>
Patent holders have to pay a fee every few years to maintain their patents. The same principle could be applied to copyright.

Court Rules Against Network Associates' Software Review Policy (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/18/business/18SOFT.html>
A New York court has ruled that Network Associates, a maker of popular antivirus and computer security software, may not require people who buy the software to get permission from the company before publishing reviews of its products.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Stop Acting Like The Entertainment Industry! (Matthew Gast, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2003/01/17/dvr.html>
Let's hope that SONICblue and TiVo start acting to make the DVR a successful product.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The Antiwar Route (David Montgomery, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9076-2003Jan17.html>
Wait a minute -- today's antiwar march is turning its back on the Capitol and marching east, toward the Anacostia River?

Protecting Mickey Mouse At Art's Expense (Lawrence Lessig, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/18/opinion/18LESS.html>
Patent holders have to pay a fee every few years to maintain their patents. The same principle could be applied to copyright.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Homeless Couple Drive Home The Point Of An Ad (Doug Leigh, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-vo-leigh18jan18,0,5767489.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
This month, I had the opportunity to help in the production of a 30-second public service announcement produced by Women in Film for the Women's Care Cottage.

See Paris, If You Get Around To It (Daisann McLane, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/19/travel/19frug.html>
A world traveler finally visits Paris, and warms to its legendary charm.

Forgotten Stars Show Up On Reality TV (Alessandra Stanley, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/18/arts/television/18CELE.html>
There has never been a better time to be a has-been.

Suspicious Minds (Jedediah Purdy, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/01/purdy.htm>
Too much trust can actually be a bad thing—-a polity of suckers is no better than a nation of cynics. But Americans' steadily declining faith in one another is a warning.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.