[MyAppleMenu] Jan 9, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 9 21:05:02 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, Jan 9, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Releases QuickTime 6.1 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/09.quicktime.php>
QuickTime 6.1 delivers quality and performance enhancement for audio, video, and full screen playback.

Apple 'Switch' Campaign Shifts To Unix Crowd (Michael Singer, Internet.com)
<http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1566721>
Apple this week targeted UNIX users (in addition to Microsoft Windows users) in its drive to "switch" non-Mac users to its OS X platform.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Macworld Gives Best Of Show Awards (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/09.bestofshow.php>

Apple Unwires Laptops (Matthew Broersma, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2128433,00.html>
The Mac maker counts on faster wireless LAN and a pioneering implementation of Bluetooth to set consumers drooling over its new portable computers.

Computer Gurus Up For Design Award (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2642081.stm>
"The four nominees have all made fantastic contributions to the world of design."

Apple Offers Early Bird Special For PBs (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=18017>
"An official launch t-shirt and a special day at our store."

"X For Teachers" Launches In Europe (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/01/09/xforteachers>

Macworld Fans Go The Distance (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57138,00.html>
Some Apple enthusiasts will stop at nothing to attend Macworld, the popular San Francisco tradeshow. Reana Armitage flew halfway around the globe from Tasmania, while Randy Nauert sleeps in his car because hotels don't favor his dog.

Apple Prepares Q1 Results (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5784>
Apple breaks with tradition this year, delivering its first quarter 2003 financial results conference over a week later than its Macworld Expo San Francisco keynote speech.

Brother Embraces Rendezvous (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5787>

Maxtor Expands Line, Previews FireWire 800 Device (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/08.maxtor.php>

New Apple Line-Up Fails To Excite (John Davidson, Financial Review)
<http://afr.com/it/2003/01/09/FFX6JCHROAD.html>
A modest collection of new computers and new software may have brought cheers from Apple's faithful gathered in San Francisco yesterday, but it failed to move investors and analysts.

Mac Lovers Fight To Glimpse 'Woz' (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57128,00.html>
A mini melee broke out at Macworld on Tuesday afternoon as hundreds of people tried to get into a panel discussion featuring Steve Wozniak, the legendary computer hacker who helped start Apple.

AppleCare: 12" PB Features New Midrange Spea (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=18011>
"The midrange-enhancing is designed to produce a separate channel of midrange sound."

Apple Execs On PowerBooks, iApplications (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/08.execs.php>
"For more and more customers these PowerBooks represent no compromise."

Enhanced MySQL For OS X Coming In Feb (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/08.mysql.php>
MySQL is an relational database system used by Web site and businesses. The software counts over 4 million worldwide installations across multiple platforms.

Steve Jobs Appears On CNBC Business Center (Nick dePlume, Think Secret)
<http://thinksecret.com/news/mwsf03cnbc.html>
"Apple has a wonderful customer base. If we come off with innovative products, they're buying them."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
A Safari Of Net Effects Part 2 (Timothy Appnel, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2572>
Does the browser really need a mate in as much as it needs to expand its range?

Macintosh: An Acquired Taste (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2010-1071-979757.html>
The company blazes forth, but few answer the call.

i-Innovation (Steven Levy, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/856621.asp?0cv=KB10&cp1=1>
Steve Jobs didn't sound too worried.

The Addiction Continues (Chuck Toporek, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2560>
Here's my credit card number. Sign me up. I don't want to be a dork anymore.

Apple's Extreme Answers (Glenn Fleishman, Wi-Fi News)
<http://80211b.weblogger.com/2003/01/08>

Viva Steve Jobs! (Matthew Rothenberg, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/1,3959,813268,00.asp>
Goodness, the man can keynote!

San Francisco 2003 Keynote Winners And Lowers (Philip Michaels, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/01/news/winners/>
That's how you give a keynote.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Never Mind The Notebooks, Here's The Content Management (Rupert Goodwins, ZDNet UK)
<http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t479-s2128439,00.html>
Microsoft would be best advised to worry about a third new piece of software, Apple's iLife, the all-in-one digital media application that integrates the Macintosh photo, movie and music management and editing software of the last couple of years.

One On One With The Little Al PowerBook - Small, Curvaceous And Supremely Portable (David Engstrom, MacReviewZone)
<http://macreviewzone.com/html/articles/news/macworld/03/powerbook-12.shtml>

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 11 (Jackie Dove, Mac Design)
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/janfeb03/reviews/CoreldRAW.html>
Powerful painting, drawing, and animation applications.

House Of Apple Launches This Season's Collection (Jon Fortt, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/technology/personal_technology/4907921.htm>
Fashion has Milan. Technology has Apple Computer.

Fear me, Wicked Record Execs (Mark Morford, San Francisco Gate)
<http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/>
In which our columnist discovers the latest in genius MP3 software, and may never buy a new CD again.

First Safari Feed Back (Paolo Valdemarin)
<http://paolo.evectors.it/2003/01/08.html#a1249>
Apple should implement an easy to use wizzy editor.

iPhoto, iTunes Falling Down On Library Size (Scot hacker, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2558>
It makes no sense to add new features before basic scalability is taken care of.

Safari (Jeffrey Zeldman)
<http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0103a.shtml#thisreporter>
Safari looks good, loads fast, and seems to be making a true effort to support web standards. It’s too early to say much more than that.

Safari Special Report: Aesthetics; HTML Rendering; Stability; OmniWeb To Adopt Engine? (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/MFIbeta/article.php?story=20030108084927319>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Customer-Owned Networks: ZapMail And The Telecommunications Industry (Clay Shirky)
<http://shirky.com/writings/zapmail.html>
WiFi hubs and VoIP adapters allow the users to build out the edges of the network without needing to ask the phone companies for either help or permission. Thanks to the move from analog to digital networks, the telephone companies' most significant competition is now their customers.

The Read-Write Web (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/000714.shtml#000714>
I believe this is the year when the pieces will truly come together. We are seeing the rebirth of what Tim Berners-Lee envisioned when he created the Web in the first place.

Desktop Notebooks Die Hard (John G. Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-979763.html>
Consumers are prompting a new trend in mobile computing: the "desknote."

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Is That "Hot Spot" Hot Or Not? (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-979959.html>
A group whose certification mark for wireless gear is considered essential by U.S. manufacturers has now developed a seal of approval for commercial wireless "hot spots," places where wireless Web access is available to the public for a fee.

School To Use Eye Scanner For Lunch Fees (Associated Press)
<http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=528&ncid=528&e=3&u=/ap/20030109/ap_on_hi_te/britain_retina_check>
A new high school said Wednesday its students will be charged for their lunches with a retina scanning device to prevent poor children who eat for free from being ridiculed in the cafeteria.

Group Aims To Strengthen Web Services (Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-979779.html>
A group of information technology companies published a specification Thursday designed to improve the reliability of business applications that use Web services.

Gates; SPOT Marks A Digital Revolution (David Becker, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-979794.html>
Microsoft's latest plan to improve the way you live revolves around wristwatches and refrigerator magnets.

Hotmail: A Spammer's Paradise? (Michelle Delio, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57132,00.html>
Anti-spam advocates say spammers have found an effective way to mine new addresses from Hotmail. These "dictionary attacks" are preventable, but only if company officials want to stop them.

Fear me, Wicked Record Execs (Mark Morford, San Francisco Gate)
<http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/>
In which our columnist discovers the latest in genius MP3 software, and may never buy a new CD again.

Bill Would Allow Copying Of Music, Movies (Grant Gross, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/03/01/08/030108hncopying.xml?s=IDGNS>
If "DVD Jon" Lech Johansen, creator of the DeCSS DVD descrambling program, had been tried in a U.S. court instead of in Norway, he may have been found in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. But a bill reintroduced in the U.S. Congress would allow consumers to defeat anticopying measures on digital content in some cases.

Retailers Take Stock Of "Smart Shelves" (Alorie Gilbert, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-979710.html>
Two major retailers and a consumer products giant are teaming up to test a new "smart shelf" technology that allows for real-time tracking of inventory levels.

Illegal Music Sites 'Here To Stay' (Darren Waters, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2636235.stm>
Illegal music download sites will never be eradicated, the president of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has admitted.

For Tech, Bush's Plan Is No Help (Eric Hellweg, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/web/0,1653,46302,00.html>
The industry and its investors had hoped for a helping hand. They won't get it.

AOL May Write Down Billions Again (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979770.html>
AOL Time Warner is expected to write off several billion dollars--on top of the record $54 billion charge it took last year--increasing the strain on its balance sheet, analysts and investors say.

Standards Body Tries To Improve On URLs (Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-979716.html>
An international standards body announced Wednesday that it has taken on the task of improving on the omnipresent URL, or Web address, to give developers a cleaner way to design and locate Web services.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The American Edge (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30800-2003Jan8.html>
History offers no guarantees. But history does suggest that there's something to that worn cliche "the American spirit."

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Road Outrage (Arianna Huffington, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/opinion/huffington/2003/01/08/suv/index.html>
How corporate greed and political corruption paved the way for the SUV explosion.

A Skewed Vision (Thane Rosenbaum, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110002876>
What's wrong with Holocaust movies.

A Family Tracks Down Outback Memories (Catherine Gandel, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-journalkoalasjan05,0,7045826.story?coll=la%2Dtravel%2Dheadlines>
We had added memories to our family album, and I had managed to hold on to my children for another brief moment.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Down And Out In The Magic Kingdom (Cory Doctorow)
<http://www.craphound.com/down/Cory_Doctorow_-_Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.htm>
I lived long enough to see the cure for death; to see the rise of the Bitchun Society, to learn ten languages; to compose three symphonies; to realize my boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World; to see the death of the workplace and of work.I never thought I’d live to see the day when Keep A-Movin’ Dan would decide to deadhead until the heat death of the Universe.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
KL, Singapore Agree On Date To Sign Accord On Pedra Branca (AFP)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,165178,00.html?>
Malaysia and Singapore will sign a pact to refer a row over ownership of a tiny island to the International Court of Justice on Feb 6, Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar said on Thursday.

Rift On Capital Controls Snags Singapore Trade Pact (Wayne Arnold, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/09/business/worldbusiness/09SING.html?ex=1042693200&en=842b71eb08d6c7d8&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE>
Nearly two months after agreeing on the outlines of a free trade agreement, Singapore and the United States remain at loggerheads over how it should treat a policy option that neither side wants to use: capital controls.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore 'Agrees To Date For Pedra Branca Signing' (Bernama)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,4386,165066,00.html?>
Singapore has agreed to a date proposed by Malaysia to sign the Special Agreement allowing the issue of Pedra Branca to be brought to the International Court of Justice in the Hague, Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar said yesterday.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.