[MyAppleMenu] Jan 5, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 5 21:05:02 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Jan 5, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Macworld Preview (Jon Frott, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/4878487.htm>
Is the battle for the PC one that Apple Computer can still win? Or has the company become like a Civil War nostalgist, re-enacting skirmishes long since decided? That question takes center stage at Macworld San Francisco this week.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Cult Gathers For Innovation Update (Garry Barker, The Age)
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/05/1041566310664.html>
Apple is by no means the largest computer hardware or software company in the world, but it is by any count the most innovative and it wears a logo and a brand name that ranks with Nike's flash and Coca-Cola's wave as the most recognisable anywhere on the planet. Millions of Apple's customers wear the silhouetted apple with the chunk bitten from its cheek as a badge of honour.

Macintosh Devotees Find Mecca In S.F. (Ellen Lee, Contra Costa Times)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/4878672.htm>
Macworld Conference and Expo expected to draw 88,000 loyal fans.

Laptop Program Gets A Boost (Glenn Adams, Associated Press)
<http://www.pressherald.com/news/state/030103laptops.shtml>
Thousands more Maine students will get home Internet access for laptop computers assigned by their schools, thanks to millions of dollars worth of cash and in-kind donations, Gov. Angus King said Thursday.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple Needs Clear Path To Future (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/4878488.htm>
If I were running Apple, I'd start selling Mac OS X server computers, the more powerful machines that dish out data to other devices, that run on the Intel architecture.

Whir Of eMac Floppy Drive Recalls Holidays Of Old (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134608966_ptmacc04.html>
How far the Macintosh has come in a short time.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Pretty Good Update For E-Mail Privacy (Kevin Savetz, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8488-2003Jan3.html>
You don't need mathematics knowledge to use the program, but you will need to read the manual.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
'Smart Displays': Bright Idea, Dim Implementation (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8428-2003Jan3.html>
It costs too much, it's too hard to set up, and even when coaxed into the right configuration, it performs worse than anybody should expect.

What The Future Holds For Microsoft (Kuro5hin.org)
<http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2003/1/2/153157/7696>
2002 was certainly an eventful year for Microsoft. With a new year dawning, we present this interview with Adam Barr, former Microsoft developer and occasional Microsoft pundit.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Web Sites Bring The Listings Home (Allison B. Cohen, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-re-internet5jan05,0,7775867.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Home listing information was held tightly by real estate agents and brokers in an industry-only computer program inaccessible to consumers. But then came the Internet.

The Ultimate Backup In The Backwoods (Daisy Hernandez, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/04/nyregion/04STER.html>

Tech Rally Is Not Yet A Revival (Donna Rosato, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/05/business/yourmoney/05TECH.html>
Fund managers say it will be hard, and perhaps inadvisable, to try to replicate the spectacular returns of the late 1990's.

Supreme Court Ends Stay On DVD Ruling (Paul Roberts, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/03/01/03/030103hndecss.xml?s=IDGNS>
The U.S. Supreme Court has lifted a temporary stay in a case involving a DVD industry group's efforts to sue a Texas man for violating a California state law governing trade secrets.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The Lies We Are Told About Iraq (Victor Marshall, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-marshall5jan05,0,1013262.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Pentagon propaganda got us into the first Gulf War. Will we be fooled a second time?

The Jury Room Is No Place For TV (George F. Will, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8474-2003Jan3.html>
Televising the deliberations robs jurors of an important part of the right of free speech -- the right not to speak publicly.

The Burden (Michael Ignatieff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/05/magazine/05EMPIRE.html>
Yet what word but "empire" describes the awesome thing that America is becoming?

It's His Party (David Frum, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/05/opinion/05FRUM.html>
Mr. Bush is more than a strong president: he dominates his own party in a way that few modern presidents ever have.

Without Protest, Americans Are Giving Up Freedom (Glen T. Martin, Roanoke)
<http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story142267.html>
Do we have the courage and integrity to speak out now, before it is too late? Or will we continue to freely shop in our large department stores for gifts for family and friends -- as they did in Nazi Germany.

Now COrporations Claim The "Right To Lie" (Thom Hartmann, Common Dreams)
<http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0101-07.htm>
It's not their "say" they're asking for: it's the right to deceive people.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Higher Expectations (Linda Matchan, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0105/inperson.htm>
Colleges complain that parents are overinvested in the admissions process. But the urge is simply irrepressible.

The Agony And The Agony (Jeanne marie Laskas, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2936-2003Jan2.html>
Friendship can be such a pain.

Destiny's Child (Bharati Mukherjee, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/05/magazine/05LIVES.html>
I've always known that I would die at 63. I'm now 62.

Fissilingual Predictions (Matt Smith, SF Weekly)
<http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2003-01-01/smith.html/1/index.html>
Chewing on the past and future is a New Year's cliché that no word-loving breedbate can resist.

Global Media (Benjamin Compaine, Foreign Policy)
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/issue_novdec_2002/globalmedia.html>
Big media barons are routinely accused of dominating markets, dumbing down the news to plump up the bottom line, and forcing U.S. content on world audiences. But these companies are not as big, bad, dominant, or American as critics claim. And company size is largely irrelevant to many of the problems facing today's Fourth Estate.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Ignoring Impact Of Tekong Island Reclamation (Azlan Abu Bakar, New Straits Times)
<http://www.emedia.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/National/20030105090837/Article/>
Singapore is adamant that it will continue with its reclamation works
around Pulau Tekong in the Johor Straits, although Malaysia has furnished it with proof that the project has adversely affected the environment.

KL, Jakarta Join Singapore In Search For Missing Navy Sailors (Associated Press)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,164505,00.html?>
Indonesia and Malaysia have joined Singapore in the search for three missing sailors following a collision involving a patrol boat and a cargo ship that left at least one person dead, officials said on Sunday.

Special Agreement On Pedra Branca Can Be Signed Anywhere: Jayakumar (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/030105/5/singapore28874.html>
Foreign Minister Professor Jayakumar says it does not matter where the Special Agreement to bring Malaysia's claim to Pedra Branca to the International Court of Justice is signed.

The Image Matters (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,164459,00.html>
To attract good people to work and live here, a different message is required, and what could be a better message than that Singapore is different from the image it has unjustly acquired?

Malaysia Disagrees With Date, Venue Proposed By Singapore Over Pedra Branca (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/southeastasia/view/28852/1/.html>
Johor Chief Minister Abdul Ghani Othman also accused Singapore of being inconsiderate in choosing Brussels to sign the agreement when many other countries in the region could be the venue.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.