[MyAppleMenu] Feb 9, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 9 21:05:01 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Feb 9, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
A PowerBook That Would Make Rodin Proud (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42776-2003Feb7.html>
You'll find more evidence of Apple's worship of the details as you look closer.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple MD Flies Off Into The Outback Sky (Garry Barker, The Age)
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/09/1044725673867.html>
Ben Bowley, who has been managing director for Australia and New Zealand since the retirement of Diana Ryall two years ago, will leave the company at the end of March.

Browser Battle Rekindling (Jason Compton, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/printedition/chi-0302080251feb08,1,648469.story?coll=chi%2Dprintbusiness%2Dhed>
Dominance of Microsoft's Internet Explorer under attack.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
A Night Away From The Opera (Dave Hyatt, Surfin' Safari)
<http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/archives/2003_02.html#002486>
Did Opera expect some sort of prize just for showing up? Any Mac user could tell you that just showing up is not enough.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
What Do You Mean You Still Run Windows? (Gene Steinberg, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/2003-02-07-steinberg_x.htm>
The Mac is designed from the ground up with simplicity in mind. And that, my friends, is the advantage that Microsoft has, despite all its vast resources, failed to match.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
10 Years Ago: "This Is A Naked Lady" (Gerard Van Der Leun, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.01/cybersex.html>
Behind every new technology is... sex?

Community <= 150 (Steve Mallett, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2767>
In case you haven't guess yet let me share my personal 150 entity situation.

Pentagon Database Project Gets Oversight (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-983914.html>
The Defense Department, under pressure from Congress and privacy advocates, announced on Friday the formation of two panels to oversee a project aimed at scouring computer databases for terrorist threats.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The Failure Of Politics In The Information Age (William Grosso, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2765>
If government is smaller, and has incredibly strict boundaries it cannot cross, then delegation begins to work again. And easier to watchdog. But that feels like giving up.

Power Laws, Weblogs, And Inequality (Clay Shirky)
<http://www.shirky.com/writings/powerlaw_weblog.html>
Inequality occurs in large and unconstrained social systems for the same reasons stop-and-go traffic occurs on busy roads, not because it is anyone's goal, but because it is a reliable property that emerges from the normal functioning of the system.

The Right To Oppose (Eugene Volokh, National Review)
<http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-evolokh020703.asp>
Pragmatism and the first amendment.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
>From Space, It's Earth That Beckons (Deborah Blum, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-blum9feb09001509,1,1360235.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
When we walk outside at night, we are anchored by gravity to the ground. Perhaps that's why we look up. City dwellers, like myself, scan for the thin scatter of stars visible through the urban light haze, the rare bright spark of other, distant worlds.

Picture-Perfect Phuket (Karin Esterhammer, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-phuket9feb09.story>
It isn't what you'd call undiscovered, but the island and its sister islets have pockets of rare beauty -- if you know where to look.

For Power Lunchers, An Entree Of Malaise (Mireya Navarro, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/09/fashion/09LUNC.html>
The business lunch, a deep-rooted New York institution that oils the gears of publishing, finance, advertising and other industries, is an unfailing indicator of economic stress, and lately it has grown lean as poached halibut, hold the sauce.

Today Disney, Tomorrow The Met (Matthew Gurewitsch, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/09/arts/music/09GURE.html?8hpib>
"I'm a populist, an opera evangelist," says Francesca Zambello, the stage director of the Metropolitan Opera's production of "Les Troyens."

Of Course Jackson's Odd -- But His Genius Is What Matters (Tom Utley, The Telegraph)
<http://www.arts.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2003/02/08/do0801.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2003/02/08/ixopinion.html>
The point about Michael Jackson is not that he is odd but that the man is a genius.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.