[MyAppleMenu] Feb 5, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 5 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Feb 5, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Safari, So Good: Browser And Bluetooth Boost OS X (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/29183.html>
Safari cures the biggest drawback to OS X which we noted in our Jagwyre review: the utterly miserable browsing experience.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
iBlog Enables Weblogging Through .Mac (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0302/05.iblog.php>
With iBlog, you can not only create and publish your own Weblogs, but you can subscribe to others' Weblogs and newsfeeds.

Penguin-Powered iPod? Sort Of (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-983461.html>
In recent weeks, computer enthusiast Bernard Leach has been able to get Apple's digital music player to run basic parts of the uClinux version of the Linux operating system. However, in running Linux, the device sacrifices many of the iPod's key features.

Biting The Apple (Sarah Hall, Daily Trojan)
<http://www.dailytrojan.com/article.do?issue=/V148/N15&id=04-bit.15c.html>
Tenny Mirzayan recently petitioned Apple computers with a number of demands after her iBook began sparking wildly when she attached its power cord. She dropped the computer in fear, breaking its display.

Apple Retail Stores Coming to Mass, Florida (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=18358>

Macworld Promoter Takes Job With Rival (Scott Van Voorhis, Boston Herald)
<http://www.businesstoday.com/business/business/macw02052003.htm>
The departure of the longtime Macworld chief could complicate efforts to ensure that corporate star Steve Jobs, Apple's chief executive, makes an appearance at the trade show next year.

Apple 'Will Change Chips' - Omni Chief (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5913>
Omni Group CEO Ken Case believes Apple will change it's chip architechture "when the time is right".

Five On The Upswing (George Taninecz, IndustryWeek)
<http://www.industryweek.com/currentArticles/asp/articles.asp?ArticleId=1390>
A combination of Apple Computer Inc. innovation and market malaise could lead to Macs pushing some Windows-based PCs off of enterprise desktops.

O'Reilly Releases "Mac OS X In A Nutshell" (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/02/04/oreilly>
The book familiarizes readers with the Finder and the Dock, file management, system configuration, network administration issues, and more.

Battle For The Living Room (Tom Krazit, IDG News Service)
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109225,00.asp>
Multimedia PCs from Gateway, Apple, Lindows.com compete with digital entertainment centers.

A Rendezvous With Redmond? (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2003/tc2003025_0198_tc056.htm>
Apple is delivering on the immense potential of its no-fuss networking system. With luck, it could be a direct challenge to Microsoft.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
The Macintosh Way: Get 'Em While They're Young (Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=1646>
Apple has finally figured out how to grow its customer base: gets Macs into kids' hands for free.

The New iMac And eMac Value Equation (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/03/0205.html>
Although the Apple product matrix has grown much more complex since the four quadrant era, the values are steadily improving.

My Pocketful Of Music (David E Carlson, E-Media Tidbits)
<http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&aid=19436>
I know it sounds silly, but this 20GB MP3 player has revolutionized my day.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
The Age-Old Question: Are Macs Still Too Expensive? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#expensive>
The point of this exercise is that those who continue to claim that Apple's computers are too expensive to be competitive need to come up with better arguments.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
MS Says It Didn't Steal From Sendo (Reuters)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-983385.html>
Microsoft has asked a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit by British cell phone maker Sendo, saying there was no basis to Sendo's charges that it stole technical know-how and pushed it to the brink of bankruptcy.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Cognitive Dissident (Tim Dickinson, Mother Jones)
<http://www.motherjones.com/news/qa/2003/06/we_268_01.html>
John Perry Barlow, the man who popularized the term 'cyberspace', discusses the Total Information Awareness project, online activism, file sharing, and the prospect of a digital counterculture.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Still More Job Hunters Than Jobs (Joanna Glasner, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,57551,00.html>
Not long ago, skilled programmers and engineers regularly fielded multiple job offers with tempting incentives. Now, instead of stock options and signing bonuses, most job hunters are content with a steady paycheck.

CIOs Must Adopt 'IT Governance' (Jon Oltsik, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-983416.html>
You'll hear a lot about this over the next year, as companies look to improve their processes without the benefit of bigger budgets.

Feds Pull Suspicious .Gov Site (Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-983384.html>
In a move that raises questions about the security of governmental domains, the Bush administration has pulled the plug on a .gov Web site pending an investigation into the authenticity of the organization that controlled it.

Online Work Balances Play, Survey Finds (Ellen McCarthy, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26443-2003Feb4.html>
Employees with Internet access at home spend more time there doing work for their companies than they spend online for personal reasons at their offices, a survey released yesterday found.

Borland Targets .Net Developers (Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983321.html>
Borland Software will make a play for Microsoft's .Net developer community with tools based on the software giant's homegrown programming language, C#.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Will The Neighbors Approve? (Thomas L. Friedman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/05/opinion/05FRIE.html>
What I am sure of is that if we will the ends, we better will the means. Therefore it's time for the president to level with the American people about what will be required to make this war a success. Because ultimately it is the support of the American people —- not the U.N., not France, not Poland —- that will determine whether we have the means to see it through.

Wrong Message To The Muslim World (Ejaz Haider, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26876-2003Feb4.html>
Does America need a policy that fails to differentiate between friend and foe? Not only has the Justice Department designed such a policy, it has authorized the INS, arguably the most inefficient of the bureaucratic organizations, to implement it.

Why I Became A Conservative (Roger Scruton, New Criterion)
<http://www.newcriterion.com/archive/21/feb03/burke.htm>
I understood conservatism not as a political credo only, but as a lasting vision of human society, one whose truth would always be hard to perceive, harder still to communicate, and hardest of all to act upon.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Cognitive Dissident (Tim Dickinson, Mother Jones)
<http://www.motherjones.com/news/qa/2003/06/we_268_01.html>
John Perry Barlow, the man who popularized the term 'cyberspace', discusses the Total Information Awareness project, online activism, file sharing, and the prospect of a digital counterculture.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
TV's Longest-Running Hit (Regina Schrambling, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-tvdinner5feb05.story?null>
Fifty years since the first episode of the TV dinner, it's still going strong. But our tastes are frozen in time.

Turning A Kitchen Into Child's Play (Nigella Lawson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/05/dining/05NIGE.html>
I love eating too much not to want my children to share in that.

Don't Sever A High-Tech Lifeline For Musicians (Janis Ian, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/suncommentary/la-oe-ian2feb02,0,2630989.story?coll=la-headlines-suncomment>
The RIAA says it is doing all this to make more money for me and other artists like me, but don't be fooled.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Love Poem (Connie Voisine, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2078095/>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
AYE Link Road: Portsdown's "Little Bohemia" To Go (Theresa Tan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,169964,00.html?>
Several shops will be torn down to make way for a new road in the idyllic estate, and residents are bemoaning their loss.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.