[MyAppleMenu] Feb 3, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 3 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Feb 3, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Dealers Biting Back (Henry Norr, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/02/03/BU197497.DTL>
Apple has been hit by a growing number of lawsuits filed by Mac dealers who are upset by the company's alleged efforts to lure their customers to outlets that Apple owns. They are also fed up with what they say are long-standing problems in the company's service and billing systems.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Microsoft Talking To Apple About $1.1 Bln Settlement (Karen Guilo, Bloomberg)
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Technology%20News&T=markets_box.ht&middle=ad_frame2_all&s=APj7k_hUrTWljcm9z>
The talks indicate that Microsoft is seeking to prevent a prolonged battle to win court approval for the settlement, analysts say.

Lotus Founder Designs Low-Cost PIM (Ashlee Vance, IDG News Service)
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109128,00.asp>
Open-source 'Chandler' is aimed at information management for small, midsize business.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Adventures In Demo Land (Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu)
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/demo2003/>
Your editor here at MyAppleMenu will be attending DEMO 2003, where "the future begins here." And this is the blog I've created to jot down my little adventure.

Time For iLife Apps To Share A Unified Media Database? (Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2696>
And since the iLife apps are all so wonderfully integrated now, why not place all of my media in a single, integrated media database?

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Apple Takes On PowerPoint (Jason Brooks, eWeeks)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857346,00.asp>
One of the simplest, yet most compelling features of Keynote is its align guides for slide elements.

Apple Now Appeals To Financial Side Of Brain, Not Just Artistic (Beacon Journal)
<http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/business/5081511.htm>
Mac prices have dropped so close to those of PCs, it makes good sense to consider making the switch.

Learning With Powerpuff Girls And Zoombinis (Gene Emery, Reuters)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=569&ncid=738&e=2&u=/nm/20030202/tc_nm/column_programs_dc>
For children looking to save the world from disaster and learn something in the process, two CD-ROMs fit the bill nicely.

Apple 12" PowerBook G4 867: How Fast It Is? (Bill Fox, Macs Only!)
<http://www.macsonly.com/PB12new.html>
We believe that road warriors, other than video graphics professionals, will be satisfied with the 12" model's feature set and performance. It is mostly but not completely down to a question of screen size vs portability.

Deck 3.5: Midrange Music-Production Tool Moves To OS X (David Leishman, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/02/reviews/musdeck/>
Deck 3.5.1 is a fine choice for musicians who want a reasonably priced application for audio recording and production. The addition of OMF support should make this program even more attractive to musicians who use other OMF-capable music applications.

Move2Mac: One-Trick Pony Helps Windows-To-Mac Switchers (David Pogue, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/02/reviews/move2mac/>
Move2Mac is an unusual program because it's meant to be used only once. Even so, it is a persuasive dollars-for-time proposition. You could do its work manually, but you'd need to have a network, expert knowledge of where files go in each operating system, and hours for copying files and retyping settings. For most people, $60 is a small price to pay for the assistance of this automated computer consultant.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Protecting Rights--Or Windows? (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-983017.html>
Can Microsoft be trusted? How music labels, Hollywood studios and consumers answer that question could determine whether the software giant dominates digital media the way it does Web browsers or desktop productivity applications, say analysts.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
As Broadband Gains, The Internet's Snails Fall Back (Saul Hansell, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/03/technology/03ONLI.html>
Consumers have been dropping their slow dial-up services and switching to faster service, called broadband. AOL and the other dial-up leaders do offer broadband service, but the latest quarterly results show that consumers are shunning these offers, despite increased promotion. Rather, they are buying broadband services offered by cable and telephone companies.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Embrace File-Sharing, Or Die (John Snyder and Ben Snyder, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/01/file_trading_manifesto/index.html>
A record executive and his son make a formal case for freely downloading music. The gist: 50 million Americans can't be wrong.

Viva La Open Source (Dan Tebbutt, The Australian)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,5920347%5E15397%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
Guerilla warfare is sweeping across the IT industry as organised bands of revolutionaries seek to challenge the established order.

Competitors Shape Strategy To Gain Edge In Web Services (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/03/technology/03SOFT.html>
The race to deliver Web services will shape competition in the computer business over the next several years. And there are broadly two paths: Microsoft on one side and a handful of major software competitors on the other side, including I.B.M., BEA Systems, Sun Microsystems and Oracle.

Wall Street Gets A Taste Of Liberty (Stephen Shankland, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-982953.html>
A computer sign-on system used by many top financial services companies has been rebuilt around the Liberty authentication system initiated by Sun Microsystems.

A Nation Of Voyeurs (Neil Swidey, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0202/coverstory_entire.htm>
How the Internet search engine Google is changing what we can find out about one another -- and raising questions about whether we should.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
'Just Doing Their Duty' (Buzz Aldrin, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-aldrin3feb03,0,6352736.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Now we have to look for the best alternatives going forward, so that when we look back 10 or 15 years from now, we can say that in 2003, as a result of the Columbia tragedy, we examined our alternatives closely and made the right decisions.

The Best Of America (Bob Herbert, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/03/opinion/03HERB.html>
The posthumous television images of the smiling, healthy, enthusiastic crew of the space shuttle Columbia touch feelings that are usually reserved for those much closer to us. They're very difficult to watch.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Embrace File-Sharing, Or Die (John Snyder and Ben Snyder, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/01/file_trading_manifesto/index.html>
A record executive and his son make a formal case for freely downloading music. The gist: 50 million Americans can't be wrong.

Temperature Rise In Last Minutes (John M. Broder, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/03/national/03SHUT.html>
Six minutes before the space shuttle Columbia ripped apart, temperatures on the left fuselage spiked by 60 degrees, space agency officials reported today as they detailed a sequence of ominous problems aboard the doomed spacecraft.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Pink Slip Nightmare (Christina Le Beau, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/03/the_layoff/index.html?x>
A Kodak employee waits for the dreaded envelope: Fat means fired, thin means spared. What will it be?

A Nation With Its Feet Firmly Off The Ground (Joel Garreau, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16648-2003Feb2.html>
One of the enduring aspects of American culture that other people around the globe view as remarkable is our willingness to welcome and embrace change.

Recovery Turns Grim As Remains Of Some Victims Are Found (David M. Halbfinger and Richard A. Oppel Jr., New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/03/national/03XDEBR.html>
The most taxing part of the task quickly became clear, as searchers and even small children stumbled across human remains in backyards, in hayfields and on roadsides.

Shuttle Astronuats, RIP; Space Program, Too? (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/000768.shtml#000768>
Space is humanity's destiny, if it has one. We are an exploring, expansionist race. We must go on.

At A Loss For Words, But Trying (Alessandra Stanley, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/02/national/02TUBE.html>
Like a science-class anatomy figure, live coverage of a catastrophe exposes the raw inner workings of television news-gathering as much as it explains the news itself.

A Nation Of Voyeurs (Neil Swidey, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0202/coverstory_entire.htm>
How the Internet search engine Google is changing what we can find out about one another -- and raising questions about whether we should.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Ice Man (Haruki Murakami, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030210fi_fiction>
I married an ice man. I first met him in a hotel at a ski resort, which is probably the perfect place to meet an ice man.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Giving Sex In The City-State A Nudge (Trish Saywell, Associated Press)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/lifestyles/cst-nws-singapore02.html>
This tiny, fast-paced city-state, worried by a steep decline in its population growth, is rekindling efforts to get its best and brightest to mate. But government-sponsored spontaneity is proving a bit of a turnoff.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.