[MyAppleMenu] Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 16 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Collectible Blank CDs Aimed At 'Rings' Fans (Jeff Leeds, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-cd16dec16,1,2132716.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Apple Computer and Reprise are selling the discs to those who want to burn the soundtrack.

Happy Birthday, Mac! (Quentin Hardy, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/15/cz_qh_1215macat20.html>
It ought to be dead by now, beset by time and big competitors. Be grateful it isn't.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Blase About Online Music Rivals (Michelle Kessler, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/2003-12-16-apple_x.htm>
Who's afraid of retail giant Wal-Mart? Not Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Selling Steve's Vision (Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/16/cx_ah_1216adapple.html>
"Jobs simply has a certain vision for the company that doesn't necessarily equate with having the biggest market share."

Pepsi To Give Away 600 iPods? (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/12/16/pepsi>

StuffIt Update Adds Full Panther Support, New Options (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/12/16/stuffit/index.php?redirect=1071587113000>

Apple Updates Remote Desktop (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/12/16/remote/index.php?redirect=1071587095000>
"The Apple Remote Desktop Client version 1.2.4 update delivers improvements to security, performance, and reliability of the Apple Remote Desktop 1.2 client software running on Mac OS X versions 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3," according to Apple.

Ambrosia Updates Escape Velocity: Nova For Panther (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/12/16/evnova>

Nick Kereakos: A Studio In The Field (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/audio/kereakos/>
"That's where Pro Tools on the PowerBook is great, because my whole recording rig is just a small laptop and a small interface from Pro Tools. It weighs -- what? Six pounds?"

John D. Lowry: Restoration Software (Joe Cellini, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/film/lowry/>
"To do the work we are doing today 10 years ago, would have cost tens of millions of dollars for a computer facility... But along came the Power Mac G4 and the Power Mac G5, and suddenly we had an answer."

No Other Internet Music Service Has Touched FIrst Out Of The Gate (Jefferson Graham, TechNewsWorld)
<http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32389.html>
The thunderous response to iTunes helped push four other music services to market, with several more planned. But their initial success has been much more muted.

Tinderbox 2.1 Released (Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/#note_2107>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
What Happens When You Don't Understand The Problem (John C. Welch)
<http://www.bynkii.com/networking/archives/000099.html>
The real source of the vulnerability is not Apple's code, or really even their implementation. But the DHCP standard itself.

PortalPlayer Photo Edition Paves Way For Picture iPod (Tony Smith, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/34530.html>
PortalPlayer, the company behind the hardware, software and processor technology that powers Apple's iPod, will soon launch a upgraded version of its chip/firmware combo that paves the way for a Photo iPod.

What I Don't Want For Christmas (Chris Adamson, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/4080>
There are a couple of items that the pundits and the rumor sites say we might see in 2004, and if it's all the same to y'all in Cupertino, don't bother with these.

Annals Of Bad Marketing Dept. (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/001582.shtml>
Earthlink couldn't be bothered to cross-check before pitching me on a service that I can't use.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Ghost Master (Bill Stiteler, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=303_0_1_0_M>
Ghost Master is a game that, like the Sims, isn't a game to be enjoyed by scoring points or achieving goals.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
Biculturalism (Joel Spolsky)
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Biculturalism.html>
What are the cultural differences between Unix and Windows programmers? There are many details and subtleties, but for the most part it comes down to one thing: Unix culture values code which is useful to other programmers, while Windows culture values code which is useful to non-programmers.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
Phone Service Over Internet Revives Talk Of Regulation (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/15/technology/15phone.html>
The debate over how government treats the Internet is likely to reach a new level of intensity now that Internet technology is colliding with one of the nation's most lucrative businesses, telephone service.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
Writing Science For Children In An Age Of Discovery (Eric Nagourney, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/16/science/16KIDS.html>
Writing a children's book is never easy. But the challenges are multiplied for children's books about science.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions