[MyAppleMenu] Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 13 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Highlights From Apple's Quarterly SEC Filing (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/08/13/10q>
In this filing, Apple discloses several details on net sales, its retail stores, the education market, R&D costs, outside investments, and more.

Steve Jobs: "I'm An Optimist" (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2003/tc20030813_7682_tc121.htm>
Apple's visionary-in-chief looks at tech's condition today and says: "I see a recovery in innovation coming out of this downturn."

Apple Releases Pro Application Support 1.1 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/08/12/proapplication>
Apple has released Pro Application Support 1.1, which "provides improvements for Apple's professional applications, and is strongly recommended for all users of Final Cut Pro, Cinema Tools, Compressor, LiveType, Soundtrack, and DVD Studio Pro.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Aladdin Systems Sees Profit (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/13/aladdin/>
"Our new Internet software and Ten for X product suites are opening up new markets and gaining customer attention," said Jonathan Kahn, CEO of Aladdin Systems Holdings.

Mariner Write 3.5 Adds New Language Support, More (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/13/mariner/>
The new version of Mariner Write adds support for importing Microsoft Word files written in non-Roman characters.

Mac XM: Tune In To The Sky (Ron Carlson, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=2439>

G3 OS X Support Suit Reaches 'Conditional Settlement' (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/12/g3osx/>
King & Ferlauto alleged that Apple violated the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act by failing to support early G3-equipped Mac models with the same features and functionality afforded later systems after initially advertising that the new operating system would be "fully optimized" for G3's.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple Stores Are Different (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3663>
Laptop batteries are great... until every now and then one goes bad. And if you want to alienate your local independent Mac retailer, or even Apple itself, then simply tell them that you have a dead battery that's still under warranty. They will run from you like the plague.

U.S. CEO Pay Averages $12M Annually; Jobs No. 1 (CGraef Crystal, Bloomberg News)
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer=columnist_crystal&sid=aEt7cb79lerU>
Besides having the group's highest three-year average annual pay, Jobs also wins my Most-Ludicrous-Pay-Package trophy, which isn't awarded every year.

Apple's School Days Are Numbered (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2003/tc20030813_3719_tc016.htm>
I'm afraid, have won the day in education.

My Apple Does Java (Daniel Brookshier, O'Reilly Network)
<http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/351>
Linux is cool, but I like something I can blame a real company for glitches.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
MX310 (Galen Wiley, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=390>
Even with its flaws, the MX310 is still a solid mouse for those looking for a suitable replacement.

iPod Skin (MacSofa)
<http://www.macsofa.com/more.php?id=52_0_1_0_M>

iPod (30 GB) (Eric Blair, ATPM)
<http://www.atpm.com/9.08/ipod.shtml>
The 30 GB iPod not only challenges the original iPod, but bests it.

Apple iSight: Halfway There (Sascha Segan, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1216215,00.asp?kc=PCAV103039TX1K0100563>
The new Apple iSight Web camera is positively gorgeous. But as with any Webcam, the hardware is just half the story, and iSight lacks the basic software commonly included with cameras that cost much less than the iSight's hefty $150 street price.

An Instant Messager You Can See And Hear (Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal)
<http://ptech.wsj.com/solution.html>
Apple often sets the trend for other companies. And sometimes, as in the case of the iPod music player, the company even deigns to extend its products to Windows users over time. So Apple's success in video instant messaging holds hope for all of us.

Hands On: A Close-Up Look At Mac OS X's NetBoot (Ryan Faas, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,83970,00.html?SKC=macos-83970>
NetBoot allows you to start up a Macintosh computer from a network disk image rather than using a local disk. NetBoot offers some distinct advantages for administrators.

QuarkXPress Comes To OS X (David Weiss, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/08/12/quark6.htm>
QuarkXPress is not cheap, but if you already work with QuarkXPress files, version 6 would be a great reason to upgrade to Mac OS X, which crashes far less frequently and brutally than OS 9, among other things. From what I've seen, QuarkXPress 6 is just as simple and flexible as its predecessors.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Here We Go Again (Charles Cooper, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2010-1071_3-5062888.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news>
Here's how my day went: E-mail was the first to go in the morning. Then the phone -- a voice-over-Internet protocol system that uses Windows Server software -- went down. Just to complete the hat trick, Microsoft Word's cut and paste feature conked out without any explanation.

Worm's Spread Shows Holes In Patch System (Robert Lemos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5062832.html>
The ability of the MSBlast worm to spread has underscored the view that today's methods of patching security flaws, while necessary to lock down specific computers, is too time-consuming to react to critical vulnerabilities.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Staccato, Samsung Sign To Develop UWB Network Chips (Silicon Strategies)
<http://www.siliconstrategies.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=13100029>

McDonald's Adds More Wi-Fi To Its Menu (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5062949.html>
Fast-food chain McDonald's said Tuesday that it plans to sell Internet access inside 100 locations in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
Arnold's Bad Business (Daniel Gross, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2086889/>
It turns out there's a lot of similarity between the business plan of Planet Hollywood and the business plan of Arnold's gubernatorial campaign.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Degrees Of Separation Are Likely More Than 6, Especially In E-Mail Age (Kenneth Chang, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/12/science/12MAIL.html>
Socially, it may be a small world, but it's hard to get from here to there.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
The Girl Next Door (David Sedaris, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030818fa_fact>
How much trouble could a nine-year-old be?

For Flight Attendants, Stress Comes With The Job (Francine Parnes, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/12/business/12ATTE.html>
You think your business travels have become more stressful? Put yourself in the shoes of flight attendants (and even they sometimes have to take them off for the security guards).

Who Built The Pyramids? (Jonathan Shaw, Harvard Magazine)
<http://www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/070391.html>
Drawing on diverse strands of evidence, from geological history to analysis of living arrangements, bread-making technology, and animal remains, Egyptologist Mark Lehner, an associate of Harvard's Semitic Museum, is beginning to fashion an answer. He has found the city of the pyramid builders. They were not slaves.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Expressions
-------------------------------
Almost A Conjurer (Lucie Brock-Broido, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2086875/>

What Kind Of Furniture Would Jesus Pick (Annie Porulx, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030818fi_fiction>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
NTUC 'Won't Push To Restore CPF Cuts' (Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,204488,00.html?>
Labour chief Lim Boon Heng indicated yesterday that the NTUC will not press for a restoration of the cuts in employers' Central Provident Fund contributions, as doing so will only put more jobs at risk.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Plans Wages Shake-Up (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3146545.stm>
Singaporean workers are bracing themselves for changes in their pay packets, as the government takes increasingly painful measures to help the economy.

Singapore Calls For Wage Reform To Fend Off Fierce Competition (Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/latest/story/0,4574,90839,00.html?>
Singapore must reform its wage system if the city-state is to be able to fend off the fierce challenge from emerging economies with lower labour costs, the government said on Wednesday.

Sharing In Singapore's N-Day Joy (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2003/8/13/nation/6043880&sec=nation>

Will It Be PM's Last Rally? (Tan tarn How, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,204496,00.html?>
Even as political watchers try to predict what Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong will say in his National Day Rally speech on Sunday, some are also asking if it will be his last.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.